Persona questions

  • ladyscribe07
    Message 1 of 2 , May 27, 2007
      Hello all,

      I have some general questons on persona and name origin.

      I already have my name approved but I wanted to build my persona around
      my name. I know there was an Eleanor of Sudley in 1361 but for origins
      in my last name Ravenild I cannot find anything. I know it came from
      Reaney's book Dictionary of Names or something like that. Are there
      some other sources online since I cannot get this book of Reaney's?

      I do have the questionare from some source. I can say for now that an
      Eleanor lived in Sudley, but as for the last name, not sure yet. Can
      someone help me on this?

      Lady Eleanor Ravenild
    • David Roland
      Message 2 of 2 , May 27, 2007
        Remember when developing a persona you aren't recreating a person
        who actually lived. Instead you are creating someone who could have
        lived in the period of the SCA. That is, by Corpora, Pre 17th
        century pretty much anywhere in the world. The further you get away
        from Europe though the less likely you are to find others like your
        persona.

        If you're going to limit your persona around your name, a very
        common and some would say wise decision, you can be from anywhere
        and anytime (pre 17th century) where your name(s) were known, or
        likely, to have existed. You are not stuck with just the specific
        town/village/city you have proof it was found in.

        Likely if your name was used in a village in France there are other
        parts of France as well as Germany and England that perhaps Italy
        that used that name. Remember today's borders do NOT replecate well
        borders in period.

        Those are some general answers.

        I'll leave it to someone who does names and places to answer more
        specifically. You can also ask for help from your groups herald.
        Even if they don't know the answer, they are likely to have handy
        resources to help you find the answers.

        Best of Luck

        Ian the Green

        --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "ladyscribe07" <ladyscribe07@...>