Re: [Ayreton] 7 1/2 halberd Question

  • Christian Fournier
    Message 1 of 5 , May 21 4:05 AM
      So I was wanting to build a 7 1/2 halberd to take to Lilies war, and so I
      just checked out the calontir marshals handbook and it says that any polearm
      over 4 ft must have a striking surface of at least 18 inches. I then went
      and checked the Middle Kingdom Marshals handbook and did not find this same
      restriction.

      The pre-formed axe rubber axe head I have unfortunately only carries a 7
      inch striking surface. As I read Calontir's weapon restrictions, this means
      I need to find a different head or build a different head if I want to fight
      with this weapon at Lilies.

      Sounds like it-- though you have some options, still:  First, send an email to  LiliesMarshal@...  and ask if all weapons must follow Calontir's handbook.  It's possible that a weapon built to the Society rule may be allowed, given how many people come to Lillies from other Kingdoms.

      Second, if you need this weapon to be Calontir-legal, consider building an 18" striking surface (must be padded), with the 7" axe head as a protruding part of that.  Won't so much look like any weapon I've ever seen, but it'll give you what you want and fit their rules.

       Christian Fournier
    • Sir Ix
      Message 2 of 5 , May 21 7:04 AM
        Re: [Ayreton] 7 1/2 halberd Question
        Sounds like it-- though you have some options, still:  First, send an email to  LiliesMarshal@...   and ask if all weapons must follow Calontir's handbook.  It's possible that a weapon built to the Society rule may be allowed, given how many people come to Lillies from other Kingdoms.

        I can state that armor is allowed by the kingdom of residence, but weapons must meet Calontir standards

        Second, if you need this weapon to be Calontir-legal, consider building an 18" striking surface (must be padded), with the 7" axe head as a protruding part of that.  Won't so much look like any weapon I've ever seen, but it'll give you what you want and fit their rules.

        This is the only way I know how to do this in Calontir.

        --

        Sir Ixtilixochitl
        Midlands - http://www.themidlands.org

        (Bo Ring - TriLutions - http://www.galesburg.net)
      • Blair Peterson
        Message 3 of 5 , May 22 10:10 AM
          Thanks Christian. I think my biggest error when reading these descriptions
          was that I wanted to build a halberd, but was instead invisioning a poleax.
          Hence, I think I'll be building about 10" of striking surface between the
          tip and the axe head itself, which will sit at the bottom of the striking
          surface, which I will pad on both sides, to more closely resemble the long
          blades I found to protrude out of the top of some halberd pictures I found.

          I am curious about how midrealm weapons are accepted or not at the war
          though so I will be following up with the Lilies Marshall.

          Thanks,

          Lukas
          "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not
          sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

          >From: Christian Fournier <cf@...>
          >To: Ayreton@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [Ayreton] 7 1/2 halberd Question
          >Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 06:05:24 -0500
          >
          >>So I was wanting to build a 7 1/2 halberd to take to Lilies war, and so I
          >>just checked out the calontir marshals handbook and it says that any
          >>polearm
          >>over 4 ft must have a striking surface of at least 18 inches. I then went
          >>and checked the Middle Kingdom Marshals handbook and did not find this
          >>same
          >>restriction.
          >>
          >>The pre-formed axe rubber axe head I have unfortunately only carries a 7
          >>inch striking surface. As I read Calontir's weapon restrictions, this
          >>means
          >>I need to find a different head or build a different head if I want to
          >>fight
          >>with this weapon at Lilies.
          >
          >Sounds like it-- though you have some options, still: First, send an
          >email to LiliesMarshal@... and ask if all weapons must follow
          >Calontir's handbook. It's possible that a weapon built to the Society
          >rule may be allowed, given how many people come to Lillies from other
          >Kingdoms.
          >
          >Second, if you need this weapon to be Calontir-legal, consider building an
          >18" striking surface (must be padded), with the 7" axe head as a
          >protruding part of that. Won't so much look like any weapon I've ever
          >seen, but it'll give you what you want and fit their rules.
          >
          > Christian Fournier
        • Erick Maxskelly
          Message 4 of 5 , May 22 11:36 AM
            What about the pole-axes that TJ of By My Hand sells? Would those fit the bill? (ha ha)

            --
            Ld. Earik MacSkellie
            Squire to Sir Galem Lionel Ostwestly

            http://www.google.com/calendar/feeds/michael.labny%40gmail.com/public/basic