7 1/2 halberd Question

  • Blair Peterson
    Message 1 of 5 , May 20, 2007
      So I was wanting to build a 7 1/2 halberd to take to Lilies war, and so I
      just checked out the calontir marshals handbook and it says that any polearm
      over 4 ft must have a striking surface of at least 18 inches. I then went
      and checked the Middle Kingdom Marshals handbook and did not find this same
      restriction.

      The pre-formed axe rubber axe head I have unfortunately only carries a 7
      inch striking surface. As I read Calontir's weapon restrictions, this means
      I need to find a different head or build a different head if I want to fight
      with this weapon at Lilies. (I'm guessing the head I have must be reserved
      for a regular axe as it would not work even on a 6 ft OR could be used here
      in the Midrealm on any axe or polearm) Can others who have dealt with this
      restriction before tell me if I'm reading this correctly? Also, does anyone
      have any suggestions on where to buy such a head, or things they may have
      done to build a GOOD head for a 7 1/2 halberd?

      HL Lukas Mesmer
      Former Calontiri
      --------------------------Historical Quote----------------------------------
      "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not
      sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
    • Christian Fournier
      Message 2 of 5 , May 21, 2007
        So I was wanting to build a 7 1/2 halberd to take to Lilies war, and so I
        just checked out the calontir marshals handbook and it says that any polearm
        over 4 ft must have a striking surface of at least 18 inches. I then went
        and checked the Middle Kingdom Marshals handbook and did not find this same
        restriction.

        The pre-formed axe rubber axe head I have unfortunately only carries a 7
        inch striking surface. As I read Calontir's weapon restrictions, this means
        I need to find a different head or build a different head if I want to fight
        with this weapon at Lilies.

        Sounds like it-- though you have some options, still:  First, send an email to  LiliesMarshal@...  and ask if all weapons must follow Calontir's handbook.  It's possible that a weapon built to the Society rule may be allowed, given how many people come to Lillies from other Kingdoms.

        Second, if you need this weapon to be Calontir-legal, consider building an 18" striking surface (must be padded), with the 7" axe head as a protruding part of that.  Won't so much look like any weapon I've ever seen, but it'll give you what you want and fit their rules.

         Christian Fournier
      • Sir Ix
        Message 3 of 5 , May 21, 2007
          Re: [Ayreton] 7 1/2 halberd Question
          Sounds like it-- though you have some options, still:  First, send an email to  LiliesMarshal@...   and ask if all weapons must follow Calontir's handbook.  It's possible that a weapon built to the Society rule may be allowed, given how many people come to Lillies from other Kingdoms.

          I can state that armor is allowed by the kingdom of residence, but weapons must meet Calontir standards

          Second, if you need this weapon to be Calontir-legal, consider building an 18" striking surface (must be padded), with the 7" axe head as a protruding part of that.  Won't so much look like any weapon I've ever seen, but it'll give you what you want and fit their rules.

          This is the only way I know how to do this in Calontir.

          --

          Sir Ixtilixochitl
          Midlands - http://www.themidlands.org

          (Bo Ring - TriLutions - http://www.galesburg.net)
        • Blair Peterson
          Message 4 of 5 , May 22, 2007
            Thanks Christian. I think my biggest error when reading these descriptions
            was that I wanted to build a halberd, but was instead invisioning a poleax.
            Hence, I think I'll be building about 10" of striking surface between the
            tip and the axe head itself, which will sit at the bottom of the striking
            surface, which I will pad on both sides, to more closely resemble the long
            blades I found to protrude out of the top of some halberd pictures I found.

            I am curious about how midrealm weapons are accepted or not at the war
            though so I will be following up with the Lilies Marshall.

            Thanks,

            Lukas
            "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not
            sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

            >From: Christian Fournier <cf@...>
            >To: Ayreton@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [Ayreton] 7 1/2 halberd Question
            >Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 06:05:24 -0500
            >
            >>So I was wanting to build a 7 1/2 halberd to take to Lilies war, and so I
            >>just checked out the calontir marshals handbook and it says that any
            >>polearm
            >>over 4 ft must have a striking surface of at least 18 inches. I then went
            >>and checked the Middle Kingdom Marshals handbook and did not find this
            >>same
            >>restriction.
            >>
            >>The pre-formed axe rubber axe head I have unfortunately only carries a 7
            >>inch striking surface. As I read Calontir's weapon restrictions, this
            >>means
            >>I need to find a different head or build a different head if I want to
            >>fight
            >>with this weapon at Lilies.
            >
            >Sounds like it-- though you have some options, still: First, send an
            >email to LiliesMarshal@... and ask if all weapons must follow
            >Calontir's handbook. It's possible that a weapon built to the Society
            >rule may be allowed, given how many people come to Lillies from other
            >Kingdoms.
            >
            >Second, if you need this weapon to be Calontir-legal, consider building an
            >18" striking surface (must be padded), with the 7" axe head as a
            >protruding part of that. Won't so much look like any weapon I've ever
            >seen, but it'll give you what you want and fit their rules.
            >
            > Christian Fournier
          • Erick Maxskelly
            Message 5 of 5 , May 22, 2007
              What about the pole-axes that TJ of By My Hand sells? Would those fit the bill? (ha ha)

              --
              Ld. Earik MacSkellie
              Squire to Sir Galem Lionel Ostwestly

              http://www.google.com/calendar/feeds/michael.labny%40gmail.com/public/basic