943Re: [Ayreton] Background checks for Youth people

  • spdesroches@att.net
    Apr 17, 2007

      Whew

      Damn shame but understandibly necessary. However, that will make more difficult the staffing for children's activity spaces at events. The initial reaction may be to alarm some parents. Oh well. CYA

      Etienne

      -------------- Original message from Dayle Harding <acelinaofderelei@...>: --------------

      Hi all--

      The BoD of the SCA is proposing to do background checks for all those who will be working with our Youth.  Jason Williams, who is a member of the BoD, has asked for feedback from the populace (regardless of kingdom, as this is proposed to be society-wide) before their April meeting, which is next weekend.  I urge any or all of you who have any opinions about this to direct feedback to the BoD.  The emails I've been given are <comments@sca. org> and <directors@sca. org>  Both of these addresses should go to the same place (or so I'm told).

      Acelina

      Here is what was released to SCA today:

      SCA Inc. to institute background checks for adults supervising youth
      activities

      Submitted by Justin on Thu, 2007/04/12 - 01:42. SCA
      <http://scatoday. net/taxonomy/ term/1> | Modern Society
      <http://scatoday. net/taxonomy/ term/140> George Reed, Society Seneschal
      and Vice President of Operations, has announced that the SCA will begin
      requiring background checks for adults who will be supervising youth
      activities at SCA functions.

      Mr. Reed, known in the SCA as Aaron Faheud Swiftrunner of the Stone
      Keep, provided both the initial announcement and a Frequently Asked
      Questions (FAQ) document today. Details of the policy's implementation
      will be released following the upcoming meeting of the Board of
      Directors. Initially, the policy applies only to activities in the
      United States.

      Policy Announcement

      abuse of mino rs by SCA participants, risk to our membership from
      such predatorial behavior, and legal liabilities if we fail to
      execute proper due diligence, the SCA will be implementing a
      background check program to minimize risk of harm to our people and
      the organization. This program will revolve around conducting-- via a
      properly licensed vendor--background checks on all persons wishing
      to serve in a leadership or supervisory position where minors are
      expected to be taking direction from--or be in the direct control of
      adults who are not their parent or legal guardian.

      An example of officials who must receive the background check are:
      Youth activities officers at all levels, Adults acting as youth
      marshals for any martial activity, persons organizing/in charge of
      youth activities for an event.

      These checks will return a pass/fail status. A pass status will
      cause the corporate office to issue a card good for two years that
      must be presented in order to be accepted as an official as
      described above.

      It is expected that this process will be streamlined and simplified
      as much as possible without invalidating the value of the background
      checks themselves. The cost of the checks will be billed back to the
      Kingdoms whose programs these volunteers are supporting.

      It is worth noting that these measures are less stringent than those
      being used today by the Boy Scouts of America.

      Further details, to include the actual process and an implement-by
      date will accompany the implementing guidelines to be issued after
      the April Board Meeting.

      Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic