7491Re: [Ayreton] Woodworking dilemma

  • Katherine Bercaw-Hartl
    Aug 3, 2012
      After I get home from Pennsic, you can come out to my house in Westmont. I'm all mention this to another woodworker on site who has a shop in the city.

      D'vorah bint Da'ud <dvorah@...> wrote:

      I finally found a wooden project that seems simple enough for me to attempt. It will require few materials: boards, hinges, hasps, and handles. It will require tools: a saw (which I don't need, because the Home Depot cut the boards for me); a sander; a small hammer; a screwdriver.

      Best of all, I can gradually spirit the funds for each item away from the grocery budget, and Akim won't realize what's going on until I show him the finished product and sing out, "Surprise!"

      Problem: I have everything I need to get started, except one crucial thing: I don't have a wood shop. I never thought I'd need one, and my apartment building/complex has nowhere that I could put one anyway, so I never worried about it. The thing is, I can't use the sander without somewhere to plug it in. I can't do it inside, because the sawdust will get everywhere, becoming problematic for me and for Akim, not to mention my poor cats. I can't do it outside, because there are no outdoor outlets. Not even my storage room, where the bikes live, has an outlet anywhere!

      What do you do, you woodworkers? Do you all have wood shops in which to work your woody magic, or is there some sort of secret that should've been passed down from my grandfather, except that I'm a girl and what I got from him was pretty haircuts (he was a barber)?
      D'vorah bint Da'ud
      Twitter: @DvorahSCA

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic