6660Award Recommendations WAS: Quick, Look Busy! The Royals are Coming!

  • Verena Entenwirt
    Aug 31, 2011
      The following email recently went out about putting hard working people in for award recommendations.  After reading the email, I was reminded of some of the misconceptions I had heard from different people in the past about award recommendations, and since we have some new people I though I would send out a little note to answer some of the questions I have been asked.

      You don't have an AOA, so you can't recommend anyone.
      False- ANYONE can put in a recommendation. It does not matter if you have been playing for 1 or 10 years, or if you play twice a year or go to every meeting. If you see someone who deserves something, you should submit it.

      I know they deserve something, but I am not sure what award they deserve.
      You can see a listing of the Middle Kingdom Awards here: http://www.sca.org/awards/middle.html . Write down WHY you think the person deserves an award, and then see if there is an award for. Don't forget to check to see if they already have that award here: http://www.midrealm.org/op/

      I am not a paying member, so I can't get/recommend an award
      False- This can very by Kingdom, however in the Middle Kingdom you don't have to be a paying member to recommend or receive an award. Do however, check for other Kingdoms or Groups if you ever move (or do an out of Kingdom award recommendation)

      I don't have the _____  award, so I can't recommend someone else for the award.
      False- Even if you don't have a particular award, does not mean you cannot recommend someone else for it. Take a moment and read http://www.sca.org/awards/middle.html to get a good idea about what the different awards entail. You can also check out http://middlewiki.midrealm.org/index.php/Main_Page for more information.

      But person A already has that award.
      Possibly False- Are you sure? Did you check to see if they have the award in the Order of Precedence? The Order of Precedence or (OP) is a listing of all the awards given by the Crown of the Middle Kingdom as well as some Out of Kingdom awards if they have been reported by the recipients. If you think someone deserves an award, check to see if they have already have it. http://www.midrealm.org/op/

      But writing an award recommendation is hard.
      False- It is incredibly easy to write an award recommendation, more so now with the online system at (http://www.midrealm.org/op/recommend/login.php . If possible you will want to know the person's name, what events they are going to in the future, and why they deserve that award. That's it. When writing the recommendation, try to be heartfelt and sincere, and try to give specifics. Saying that someone is helpful is well helpful, but giving specific events where they helped out (and what they did) is ideal!

      I already wrote an award recommendation.
      False- Back before electronic submissions, I use to keep a little notebook of recommendations. Each reign I would write down who I was recommending for what award, and why and I would update as the person did more things, or as they would receive the award. Luckily the online version keeps those records now, however every once in a while you will want to login and update your award recommendations. Just because the person has yet to receive the award, does not mean they won't get it in the future. Let the crown know that they are still playing and that they still deserve it and why. The more information they have the better (and more likely they will receive the award).

      My single recommendation won't matter.
      False- Every recommendation matters. Even if you don't know that anyone else is putting that person in does not mean you should not write the recommendation. As long as you are honest, heartfelt, factual and detailed, your recommendation matters. They might not receive that award at the next court, but the recommendation letter you write might help them get a different award later on.

      Lady Verena Entenwirth
      Midlands Regional A&S Champion
      Deputy Rokkehealden Chatelaine