      From: Jill Elaine Hughes <jillhughes2@...>
      To: ayreton@yahoogroups.com; AyretonScriptorium@yahoogroups.com; Vanished Wood <vanished_wood@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wed, July 6, 2011 3:17:22 PM
      Subject: Scribes' Tent at Ayreton Carnivale

      PLEASE FORWARD WIDELY!

      Greetings one and all.  I am Lady Mariza de la Courete (my name was formerly spelled "Marissa de Courette") and I will be helping run the Scribes' Tent this Saturday at Ayreton Carnivale.  Ayreton currently has several baronial A&S projects which provide an opportunity for people to donate their time and also learn new craft (or improve existing skills).  One of those projects is the creation of 40 scroll blanks (and 40 scroll cases) to donate to the Crown as a barony at Pennsic this year in honor of the 40th Pennsic anniversary.  We will have a scribal tent set up for people to come and try, discuss, and practice the scribal arts, and possibly also work on blanks for the baronial gift.

      Even if you've never tried the scribal arts before (and they're easier than you think,) please consider stopping by.  We will have materials available for you to try and share, as well as reference books as well as scribal experts dropping in who can share their expertise.  Even if you can't draw, you can still make a scroll!  (Tracing Is Period!).  In addition to illuminating blanks we will have calligraphy materials and reference books available if you want to try your hand (literally).

      Please look for the Scribal Tent, which will be identifiable by Dame Jocelyn of Lutterworth's personal arms, which feature a black (sable) scribal quill pen!. I will be there, just look for the blonde lady wearing 16th-century Scottish garb.  If you are an experienced scribe, please bring yourself and your materials (and SHARE them if you can).  If you're a novice, bring yourself and learn!  You might be surprised just how easy and fun it can be to make a scroll blank.

      Dame Jocelyn will also be working on the baronial silk banners for Pennsic nearby, and she needs volunteers!  Many hands make light work, and the more volunteers we get the more scrolls (and scroll cases) we can donate to the Crown and the bigger/more colorful the silk banners will be!

      Looking forward to seeing everyone this Saturday!

      YIS,
      Mariza

      Contributing Writer, University of Phoenix Writer Network

      Novelist, Playwright, Journalist

      www.jillelainehughes.com

      www.jamaicalayne.com

      www.jayhughesbooks.com