6128Re: Feasting

  • Roana
    Apr 1 10:32 AM
      As the Event Steward and Deputy Event Steward of Maidens for the last two years respectively, I'll chime in here.

      Maidens hasn't has a feast for a number of years, mostly because of the space requirements where we have the event. Nonetheless, when we've brought up the idea of having a feast at an alternative site quite close to the event site, we've been told by numerous people that they don't really want one. They've made it a tradition to attend the event and then go out to eat with friends before attending the ball and/or the variety of parties that take place in the evening.

      Consensus said that while a feast would be nice, it's not likely to draw a large enough crowd to make it worthwhile. I wouldn't be surprised if other events who traditionally don't have a feast haven't run into a similar situation.

      Just something to think about.

      YIS,
      Lady Roana Aldinoch
      Wurmwald

      --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, Dayle Harding <acelinaofderelei@...> wrote:

      > I have to agree with Marissa....many times it's not the outdoor cooking that is
      > the problem (I've known Twm ap Twm to cook a fabulous feast over an open fire
      > much to my awe and amazement), but rather the availability of the site (some
      > places don't like that) and/or just what the group/site is able to do.  At
      > Border Skirmish, the place is great for a grilling type thing, but not really
      > all that great for even an over the open fire type of cooking event, hence the
      > potluck.  Vanished Wood had at least two at Lord's Park Pavilion in Elgin where
      > it was all done with grills and/or electric roasters.  Other places don't allow
      > outside cooks (such as Maidens).  And other places are just too expensive to
      > keep open for longer periods of time and smaller groups can't afford it.  So, I
      > don't think it's a trend, but more a matter of site and/or group.
      >

      > Your mileage may vary,
      > Acelina

    • Show all 26 messages in this topic