      From: MargrettNorwoode <mistressmargrett@...>
      To: Ayreton@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thu, March 31, 2011 12:06:07 PM
      Subject: [Ayreton] Re: Feasting

      A few more items--
      Recent events without feasts: Fall RUM, Festival of Maidens

      Upcoming events without feasts: Border Skirmish, Chaos Caravan, This Land Is Our Land

      However, I very much hope I'm wrong and you're right. This is a trend that I hope does not develop. I like potlucks a lot--I just prefer feasts when I am at an event.

      My one request for those doing potluck or grill-type feasts is that you offer some way for those who don't cook to bring things. I know people who will avoid potlucks altogether because they don't cook.

      Margrett

      --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, Christian Fournier <cf@...> wrote:

      > I'm not convinced that there's particularly a trend, here-- if we look at recent local events (12th Night, All Soul's), we mostly see "traditional feasts." The same is true of every upcoming nearby event that I could find (RUM, Rites of Spring, Coronation/3 Saints, Awakenings).
      >
      > So, yes: locally we have two events coming up in the next year, both of which will be experimenting to some degree with feast formats, either out of necessity or will-- but I think that's hardly reason to decry the death of traditional feasts...
      >
      > XF
      >

      > > On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 7:41 AM, Margrett Norwoode <mistressmargrett@...> wrote:
      > >

      > > I've been listening to recent plans for Carnivale and Twelfth Night . . . What I would very much like to know is why the recent trend at local events to NOT have a traditional feast. For some of us, having a feast is what makes an event special and often strongly influences our decision to attend. As a lover and cook of historical foods, I love the opportunity to try new dishes. I especially love that I can do that in a room full of all my friends, with entertainment, fanfare and ceremony. Feast is an experience, not a meal. Why is the trend for that experience to be removed from events? Without that, we might as well run out to a restaurant.
      > >
      > > Margrett

    • Show all 26 messages in this topic