5221RE: [Ayreton] Introduction

  • Wolfram von Waldersbach
    Jun 23, 2010
      Well met, Lady Serena,

      I am Wolfram, the current Archery Marshal for the Incipient Barony of Ayreton. While D'vorah has provided the link regarding Ayreton Arts martial practices, I thought I would further discuss archery in the greater Ayreton area.

      Yes, we hold Ayreton archery practices on Wednesday evenings (roughly 7:00-8:30) at the Archery Custom Shop, located at 7240 West Madison, in Forest Park, IL. (www.archerycustomshop.com). Range rates are $8.00/hour (or $12.00/hour if you have to use their loaner gear), and standard targets are $0.50 a piece.

      However, if you are unable to attend the Ayreton practice, there are other places where you can shoot.

      If you work in Chicago, there is the Lincoln Park Archery Club (www.lincolnparkarcheryclub.org/), which has an outdoor range. You pay a yearly fee, but have unlimited use of their ranges.

      Another Chicago range is Archery Bow Range Chicago (www.archerybowrangechicago.com/), located at 1757 N. Kimball in Chicago. I've heard their loaner gear isn't that great. They're only open in the evenings, and their rates are a little higher than Archery Custom Shop ($10.00/hour and $5.00 to use the loaner gear).

      Finally a quick google search on ("archery range" wheaton), provided me information on the Blackwell Forest Preserve, (www.dupageforest.com/Conservation/ForestPreserves/Blackwell.html). They have an archery range, but it is currently closed while the preserve is undergoing some construction. However, the website does suggest going to the St. James Farm Forest Preserve (www.dupageforest.com/Recreation/ActivitiesAndFacilities/Archery.html) for archery.

      The nice thing about archery in the SCA is that you can still practice it the same even if you're unable to attend the scheduled practices. As long as you're out there shooting, that's great. If you can attend a practice, that's great too.

      Enjoy.

      In Service,

      "Voca me cum benedictis"
      Group Knight's Marshal of the Shire of the Grey Gargoyles
      Bursar - Royal University of the Midrealm
      2008 Midlands Regional Archery Champion

      To: Ayreton@yahoogroups.com
      From: arwen_areyzaga@...
      Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 23:33:04 +0000
      Subject: [Ayreton] Introduction

      Greetings good gentles of Ayreton!

      My mundane name is Arwen Domenico Areyzaga. I grew up in the S.C.A. and after a long absence have decided to rejoin. I originally hail from Upstate New York, and have lived in Illinois since 1993 (currently in Wheaton). My group back home was the Canton of Coppertree in the Barony of Delftwood. This used to be in the Kingdom of the East, but is now part of Aethelmearc. My persona used to be Italian Renaissance, and I'm still known to old friends as Lady Serena del Cavallo. However, I've long wanted a Japanese persona and am researching names, eras, and garb for the future.

      I would love to know when all your meetings are held, and about any upcoming local events. I'm particularly interested in dance and archery. I also have three children, ages 12, 8, and 3, and would like to hear about activities for younger folk.

      Finally, I am attending Pennsic this year (my first was Pennsic X, and I understand just a *few* things have changed since then ;)). I'm traveling solo this year, and wondered if anyone wanted to share the ride. I'll be camping with old friends in Yama Kaminari, but the ride out would be nicer spent in good company. Of course I want to meet folks first and get to know them, but it doesn't hurt to put that out now for advance planning.

      I look forward to meeting people in the local groups, and to making new friends. Oh, and Arwen *is* my birth name; that's what you get for being a 2nd generation Scadian, (and a flower child).

      ~Arwen