4991Re: [Ayreton] Loss of an Ayreton member.

  • Joanne Labny
    Apr 15, 2010
      Ansel,

      Words seem so inadequate right now.  I'm so sorry for your lost.  I wish with all my heart I could be with you right now.  As Mike said to me last night after hearing the news, "It really sucks being over here right now."  My heart is broken for you, Dawn, Allie and Devin.

      I'm so glad you have so many wonderful memories to keep within your heart and hope those memories will help, in some small way, to comfort you now.  I remember how proud you both were last Pennsic to be able to fight together, father and son.  I am glad I was able to witness that moment.

      I have so many fond memories of Ryan over the years.  I remember not that long ago when he was small entertaining him at Rockehelden fight practice while you fenced. I remember his many events with us. I fondly remember him growing from a young member of the SCA, bearing drinks while we served feasts, watching become a youth boffer fighter and growing into an adult heavy fighter and full member of our society in his own right, helping in the kitchen at Foxvale's event, severing at feast and being a bight young member of the society furthering our dream.

      I also have so many mundane memories of him as well.  His goofy sense of humor and jokes.  All the times we spent together at each others homes.  Him being a fantastic big brother to first Allie (or "Abadale" as he called her before she was born), though all her illnesses, and then to Devin.  It was joy to see all the kids so close even with the big difference in their ages.  I remember Sun. afternoon Bears games at my house when he would laugh at me getting so intense about the game.  This past seasons Bears games weren't the same and future Bears games will be missing his laughter and cheering.  Of course the last time I saw him at your house for the Super Bowl this year.  What a fun we had that day and I smile eveytime I think about it.

      My most special memory,hwever, is last June when I was home for a visit and we all went out for Pizza.  Ryan had just found out school had not gone the way he would have hoped and he was so mad at himself and how he told me he was going to change things.  I remember thinking, after seeing such a serious and stubborn look on his face, that his is going to do it.  I also remember thinking that night he had truly matured into a truly special young man seeing in him the determination to follow up those words with actions.  I was so very proud of him that night because it is not many people, at his age, could look at that kind of disappointment and pick himself up, start fresh and to follow through with the promises he made to himself that night.

      You and Dawn should be very proud for the young man you raised.  I know my life will have been better for having Ryan in it.  Please know that I love you, Dawn, Allie, and Devin and my prayers are with all of you.

      All my love,

      Fiona (Jobear