2896Re: Middle Kingdom 40 year celebration--40 years and still going strong.

  • twlyon24
    Jul 21, 2008
      Your Excellency,

      As one of your fellow "first decaders," I would be happy to help with
      whatever you need. I'm sure I could round up a few of the old Carraig
      Baners as well...

      Logos
      --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, Fern <fern1445-tgs@...> wrote:

      > Dear Aryeton and friends,
      >
      > I understand that the Middle Kingdom would like some group to host
      a Midrealm 40 year anniversary for next year in 2009. But there are
      no confirmed volunteers at the moment. This starts me thinking about
      the history of the Midrealm.

      > Here's what I know about the origin of the Middle Kingdom:
      >
      > The Middle Kingdom came into being some 40 years ago. During the
      late 1960's, David Freedman (Cariadoc of the Bow) and a bunch of his
      science fiction friends in Chicago heard about a California group
      that did medieval costume parties and held tournaments. David
      attended a science fiction convention in California, met some of the
      SCA people, and returned with the ideas and imagination to start a
      kingdom here. The local people held a tournament sometime in 1969,
      which Cariadoc won, so he got to be king, and everybody else thought
      up some other jobs/ roles for themselves.

      > There was a lot of imagination, and not too much forethought, at
      this time, and for a long time afterward. When I joined the SCA
      (1973), we were not yet convinced that SCA was a long-term activity.
      It seemed like it was a pleasant college diversion, a nice excuse to
      dress up, sing songs, and flirt with the opposite sex. Flirting was a
      very popular part of the events! When the kingdom's history was short
      enough that I could list the Royalty by counting them on my fingers,
      the Kingdom didn't seem very permanent.

      > Apparently, I was underestimating the importance of our hobby.
      After all these years, I am tremendously impressed that the Middle
      Kingdom has become such a fixture in my life. The activities are
      still challenging, the ceremonies are still inspiring, and the people
      are still phenomenal. My life has been hugely enriched by belonging
      to the Middle Kingdom.

      > So, I think it's pretty special that the Middle Kingdom is still
      here to celebrate 40 years. I consider myself a representative of the
      first decade of the Middle Kingdom (1969-1979), and I have a very
      special place in my heart for all the other Midrealmers from that
      same decade.

      > Next year in 2009 is the time for a 40 year celebration.
      >
      > It would be so cool to have the Incipient Barony of Aryeton be the
      host of a Midrealm 40 year celebration! This is where the Midrealm
      was founded, and many of those old people are still around. The first
      two sets of Royalty, Cariadoc and Diana, Franz and Abrizhade, were
      from Chicago. Chicago was the center of the Middle Kingdom for a long
      time, until the kingdoms of Calontir and Northshield were generated.

      > Hosting a 40 year celebration would be like running an ordinary
      event, with a couple of theme activities. We could have a tournament,
      and a feast, and some arts contests, and whatever else we wanted. I
      attended the 30 year celebration in 1999--it was held in Indiana and
      it was very pleasant. It's always nice to see old friends.

      > But we could do much better, if we start with this much lead time!
      We could have big banners for all the baronies, and classes on
      ancient Midrealm history, and strange and wonderful characters from
      the Midrealm past, and we could all meet famous people and hear their
      wonderful stories! We could have a countdown to identify the most
      senior people, like they do at Pennsic. We could invite the Calontiri
      and the Northshielders! We could sing songs of the Midrealm, and
      bardic tales of the Children of the Dragon!

      > Do I sound enthusiastic to you? I'm really enjoying the
      possibilities for this theme.. Of course, at the moment, this is all
      just ideas. The Midrealm XXXX celebration would doubtless be a
      Kingdom-level event, so we have to get approval from the Kingdom
      Seneschal/ Curia. We don't have an event until we have an autocrat, a
      site, a date, and a listing in the Pale calender.

      > Now, I am plenty willing to be the listed autocrat, or part of an
      autocrat team. The question is whether Aryeton people want to add a
      Kingdom event to our current calender for 2009. We already have our
      own local events, and there are many of them. Plus, the Rose Tourney
      is going to be sponsored by Vanished Wood next summer.

      > If we are really interested, as a barony, we have lots of options.
      The 40-year celebration can be combined with one of our current
      events, if the current autocrat is agreeable; it can be treated as a
      once-in-a-lifetime special event, with an event staff drawn from the
      entire barony; it can be an additional event on our local calender.
      If we plan for fall of 2009, for example, we have loads of time to
      prepare for it. We don't have to do all the work ourselves, either.
      For a big event like this, probably we will get offers of help and
      ideas from all over the kingdom!

      > There is no need to make decisions right now. With Pennsic coming
      up so soon, all of us are already very busy. This letter is just to
      start us thinking about it. Some time after Pennsic, we can have more
      discussion and brainstorming, under more relaxed circumstances.

      > In order to do this as an Aryeton event, naturally it will have to
      be discussed and agreed at the Aryeton meeting. But we can talk about
      it anywhere!

      > This list is a good place to talk about ideas--how many ways can we
      think of celebrate a 40th anniversary? Lots, and lots, I bet.

      > Thank you for listening to my rambles!
      >
      > Fern

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic