23Ayreton Area Activities

  • Ayreton Towne Cryer
    Apr 3, 2006
      SUNDAY

      ** Newcomers Orientation

      The Shire of Grey Gagoyles is putting on a series of Newcomers workshops open to all.  The first Workshop shall be a newcomers orientation taught by Countess Sir Fern.

      This class will be at 1pm Sunday April 9th in the Cloister Club in Ida Noyes.  This is the same place as the Ayreton Fighter Practice but an hour earlier.

       It shall be covering basics of interaction, what's who and other fun things that make the SCA the SCA but are a bit confusing to the new comers.

      Please let all newcomers know about this especially since many are not on the discussion groups.  And again, everyone is welcome from the Knowne World.  We greatly encourage attendance.

      Questions can be refered to the Grey Gargoyles Chatelaine Ian the Green.  He can be reached at

      Cell 775-771-0193

      ** Sarafina's sewing

      THL Sarafina will be holding a sewing workshop Sunday April 22, 2006 at 1pm.  This workshop will be about making and putting patterns together.  There will be no sewing done that day.  This is an excellent way for people who wish to learn how to sew to learn the first steps in getting together and making garb.

      This will be located at Ida Noyes.

      MONDAYS

      ** Tree Girt Sea - Consort Music
      Monday nights from 7:30 to 9 at Robyyan and Fern's 2506 W Morse Ave. Any instrument is welcome, recorders can be borrowed, and Robyyan is willing to teach. Absolute beginners please call first, as some sight reading ability is necessary - this can also be taught. Please call 773-764-1920 to confirm.

      TUESDAYS

      ** Calligraphy and Illumination 2nd 4th and 5th Tuesdays from 7:30 to 10 in Evanston at Peter and Magdalena's. Call 847-864-0125 to confirm.

      This month that is April 11 and the 25th.

      THURSDAYS

      ** The Pippins
      A Cappella Medieval and Renaissance singing group
      Meets every Thursday, hosted by Mistress Gianetta Andreini da Vicenza, located in Andersonville (north side of the city).  Call 312-259-6688 for more information.

      ** Rokkehealden Scriptorium

      Place:  Oak Brook Library, 600 Oak Brook Rd. , Oak Brook IL

      Thursday, April 6
      Thursday, April 27 (also moot)
      WEDNESDAY, May 3** NOTE Wed. May 3, not Thur. May 4 as normal
      Thursday, May 25 (also moot)
      Thursday, June 1
      Thursday, JUNE 29 (also moot)** NOTE June 29, not June 22 as normal

      For more information, contact Lady Fiona svalentine_98@...

      ** Vanished Woods Sewing Guild

      The next Vanished Wood Sewing Guild will be held on Thursday, April 6th at 6:30 at the home of Onnen and Meurig (Melinda and Paul Beck) at 2310 W. Nichols Rd, Apt C, Arlington Heights IL.  (847-483-5279, please call after 9am and before 10pm)
      The directions are as follows (Google maps work, but do NOT trust Mapquest, Yahoo maps or the like as they will put you in another suburb):

      For most of you from the south, Take your best route to the I/90-I290/53 intersection near Woodfield.  Once past the I90 intersection, the I290/53 expressway continues north as Rt 53.  Follow the Rt 53 expressway north until it ends at Lake Cook Rd, going east (right) on Lake Cook.  Turn Right into the first driveway at Country Glen Apartments.  You will be on Nichols Road (indicated on the Country Glen Apt sign, but not a street sign).  Turn right before reaching the third speedbump (signs will indicate building numbers, of which you are looking for 2310).  Proceed through the first parking lot and around the small pond, turning right when reaching the second parking lot (marked "B").  We will have a sign on the balcony indicating our unit.  Please park in an un-numbered space, as the numbered spaces are reserved for specific tenants and you may be towed if the tenant comes home.

      If you are coming from any other direction, please call.
      Thanks, Onnen/Melinda

      BARDIC

      Ravenslake

      Hello,

      Dycon and I would like to invite you to our fourth bardic circle; 21 April
      2006, the third Friday in April, from around 7 to around midnight.

      Kyla Mead & Dycon Gestour
      2412 Dunlay Court
      Waukegan IL 60085
      (847)775-1598

      (Directions below.)

      We prefer a play, pick or pass format, but don't enforce it rigidly. We will be instituting the 'Wheel-o-fish' if people think it's funny. (Red snapper; very tasty!) I have several instruments available to lend, including a guitar, a harp, a lap dulcimer and a mandola.

      RSVP requested, BYOB. We will have munchies and some soda, please feel free
      to bring what you want to eat, and drink. There are currently no pets in this house. Smoking is outside only, an ashtray is provided. We will be in the basement, so dress warmly.

      Dycon has put a shield out.

      From the North / South:
      Take 94/41 or 294 to 120/Belvidere,
      Take 120 East to past Green Bay.
      Keller becomes McAree at Washington,
      Continue North to Dunlay,
      Dunlay is the first right past Washington. (Across from the 'El Paraiso'
      Mexican restaurant.)
      Dunlay is a "circle."
      We are on the island, on the far side, in the middle.
      White brick house with blue drapes on the right hand side windows.

      From the East / West:

      Best options to Washington,
      From the West, Take Washington East past Green Bay to Keller / McAree,
      Or if from the East Take Washington West past the 7-11 to Keller / McAree,
      Keller becomes McAree at Washington,
      Take McAree North to Dunlay,
      Dunlay is the first right past Washington. (Across from the 'El Paraiso'
      Mexican restaurant.)
      Dunlay is a "circle."
      We are on the island, on the far side, in the middle.
      White brick house with blue drapes on the right hand side windows.

      DEMOs

      ** Grey Gargoyles

      The Fairs are going to be on April 10th and 20th (7-9pm) in the Hutch
      (the large cafeteria area in the Reynolds Club).

      We have a demo time scheduled from 8:30 to 8:50pm on Thursday, April 20th only. We need at least one more heavy fighter, and a couple of fencers wouldn't be amiss... : )  All they will really need to do is to fight a bit, do a little explainatory bit, and fight a bit more.

            The info for finding the Hutch (aka Hutchison Commons) is this:

      1135 E. 57th St.
      Chicago, IL 60637
      http://maps.uchicago.edu/mainquad/commons.html

      ** Foxvale

      The Incipient Shire of Foxvale has been asked to provide a demo on medieval life for a home-school group in Joliet.  The date of the demo is Thursday, April 27th.  The timeframe they have given us is 10:20 am - 12:15 pm.

      This is a church-based group; the first part of the time block is their devotional period, during which they suggested we do a segment on church history.  The remainder of the time will be class and lunch.  The class we will be addressing is about 20 students in the 3rd-4th grade range; the more 'hands on' the presentation, the better.

      We will be demonstrating armor (construction, at least, and perhaps a bit of actual fighting if a marshall is available), dancing and games.  We hope to have a variety of arts, crafts and sciences as well, depending on the skills of the good gentles who join us.  Heraldry would be most welcome, as the students will be doing their own coat of arms projects.  We have inquired about archery, and may do some cooking in conjunction with lunch.

      Anyone interested in participating in this demo should contact Berngard (called Moose), Coordinator of Demos & Displays for the Incipient Shire of Foxvale at danceswithwords42@....  (mka Dori Becker) and are urged to attend Foxvale Moot on March 21st (www.foxvale.org for details and directions).

      Information about the school group and their location is available at www.jaccinc.org

      CRYER'S NOTE

      I apologize if I have missed anyones announcements.  As always feel free to contact me and I will do my best to make all corrections.  Ayretontownecryer@...  As always I will be happy to make any announcements that I am asked to make that are open inviations and are SCA activity related.