15Ayreton Area Activities

  • Ayreton Towne Cryer
    Mar 27 10:33 AM
      Ayreton Area Activities, Demos and all things SCA

      SUNDAYS

      **Ayreton Lady Mayor Potluck

      The Lady Mayor of Ayreton does wish it to be announced, and I do as da boss sez, that she shall be holding a pot luck at Grey Gargoyles April 2nd at 1pm.  Incidentally da bosses over der said is was okay.  So bring ya food, bring ya fun and bring anything else youz think da Lady Mayor might be likin'.

      The potluck will be a great time to interact with the Acelina the Lady Mayor of Ayreton.

      **New comers workshops

      The Shire of Grey Gargoyles would like to announce that it is beginning a series of newcomers workshops.

      This first work shop shall happen April 9th 1PM and is a Newcomer's orientation into the SCA!  It will cover such things as What is an SCA event and what can you do there, How is the social interaction different and how do I fit in and other such things.

      This workshop shall be run by Countess Sir Fern whose motto is "Mischevious when bored."

      MONDAYS

      **Tree Girt Sea - Consort Music
      Monday nights from 7:30 to 9 at Robyyan and Fern's 2506 W Morse Ave. Any instrument is welcome, recorders can be borrowed, and Robyyan is willing to teach. Absolute beginners please call first, as some sight reading ability is necessary - this can also be taught. Please call 773-764-1920 to confirm.

      TUESDAYS

      ** Calligraphy and Illumination 2nd 4th and 5th Tuesdays from 7:30 to 10 in Evanston at Peter and Magdalena's. Call 847-864-0125 to confirm.

      This month that is March 14 and the 28th.

      THURSDAYS

      ** The Pippins
      A Cappella Medieval and Renaissance singing group
      Meets every Thursday, hosted by Mistress Gianetta Andreini da Vicenza, located in Andersonville (north side of the city).  Call 312-259-6688 for more information.

      ** Rokkehealden Scriptorium

      Place:  Oak Brook Library, 600 Oak Brook Rd. , Oak Brook IL

      WEDNESDAY MARCH 22.
      Thursday, April 6
      Thursday, April 27 (also moot)
      WEDNESDAY, May 3** NOTE Wed. May 3, not Thur. May 4 as normal
      Thursday, May 25 (also moot)
      Thursday, June 1
      Thursday, JUNE 29 (also moot)** NOTE June 29, not June 22 as normal

      For more information, contact Lady Fiona svalentine_98@...

      SEWING

      ** Vanished Woods Sewing Guild

      The next Vanished Wood Sewing Guild will be held on Thursday, April 13th at 6:30 at the home of Onnen and Meurig (Melinda and Paul Beck) at 2310 W. Nichols Rd, Apt C, Arlington Heights IL.  (847-483-5279, please call after 9am and before 10pm)
      The directions are as follows (Google maps work, but do NOT trust Mapquest, Yahoo maps or the like as they will put you in another suburb):

      For most of you from the south, Take your best route to the I/90-I290/53 intersection near Woodfield.  Once past the I90 intersection, the I290/53 expressway continues north as Rt 53.  Follow the Rt 53 expressway north until it ends at Lake Cook Rd, going east (right) on Lake Cook.  Turn Right into the first driveway at Country Glen Apartments.  You will be on Nichols Road (indicated on the Country Glen Apt sign, but not a street sign).  Turn right before reaching the third speedbump (signs will indicate building numbers, of which you are looking for 2310).  Proceed through the first parking lot and around the small pond, turning right when reaching the second parking lot (marked "B").  We will have a sign on the balcony indicating our unit.  Please park in an un-numbered space, as the numbered spaces are reserved for specific tenants and you may be towed if the tenant comes home.

      If you are coming from any other direction, please call.
      Thanks, Onnen/Melinda

      BARDIC

      Dycon and I would like to invite you to our fourth bardic circle; 21
      April
      2006, the third Friday in April, from around 7 to around midnight.

      It will be at our house:

      Kyla Mead & Dycon Gestour
      2412 Dunlay Court
      Waukegan IL 60085
      (847)775-1598

      (Directions below.)

      We prefer a play, pick or pass format.  We are also using the wheel of fish. (Since it went over fairly well last time.)  We also prefer this to be a bardic open to all types of music.  If you have instrumental music that you want other people to be able to play with you, please bring sheet music to share, preferably with guitar chords noted.  If you have songs that you want people to learn words to, please bring words to share; at least the first time through, it is good to have lyrics in front of you.  I have several
      instruments available to lend, including a guitar, a harp, a lap dulcimer, recorders, bamboo flutes, penny whistles and a mandola.

      RSVP requested, BYOB.  We will have munchies and some soda, please feel free
      to bring what you want to eat, and drink.  There are currently no pets in this house.  Smoking is outside only, an ashtray is provided.

      Dycon has put his shield out.

      From the North / South:
      Take 94/41 or 294 to 120/Belvidere
      Take 120 East to past Green Bay
      Keller becomes McAree at Washington
      Continue North to Dunlay
      Dunlay is the first right past Washington.
      (Directly across from the 'El Paraiso' Mexican restaurant.)
      Dunlay is a "circle."
      We are on the island, on the far side, in the middle.
      White brick house with blue drapes on the right hand side windows.

      From the East / West:

      Best options to Washington
      From the West, take Washington East past Green Bay to Keller / McAree
      Or if from the East, take Washington West Past the 7-11 to McAree
      Keller becomes McAree at Washington
      Take McAree North to Dunlay
      Dunlay is the first right past Washington.
      (Directly across from the 'El Paraiso' Mexican restaurant.)
      Dunlay is a "circle."
      We are on the island, on the far side, in the middle.
      White brick house with blue drapes on the right hand side windows.

      DEMOs

      Foxvale Demo

      The Incipient Shire of Foxvale has been asked to provide a demo on medieval life for a home-school group in Joliet.  The date of the demo is Thursday, April 27th.  The timeframe they have given us is 10:20 am - 12:15 pm.

      This is a church-based group; the first part of the time block is their devotional period, during which they suggested we do a segment on church history.  The remainder of the time will be class and lunch.  The class we will be addressing is about 20 students in the 3rd-4th grade range; the more 'hands on' the presentation, the better.

      We will be demonstrating armor (construction, at least, and perhaps a bit of actual fighting if a marshall is available), dancing and games.  We hope to have a variety of arts, crafts and sciences as well, depending on the skills of the good gentles who join us.  Heraldry would be most welcome, as the students will be doing their own coat of arms projects.  We have inquired about archery, and may do some cooking in conjunction with lunch.

      Anyone interested in participating in this demo should contact Berngard (called Moose), Coordinator of Demos & Displays for the Incipient Shire of Foxvale at danceswithwords42@....  (mka Dori Becker) and are urged to attend Foxvale Moot on March 21st (www.foxvale.org for details and directions).

      Information about the school group and their location is available at www.jaccinc.org

      CRYER'S NOTE

      As the Towne Cryer's position has evolved and grown there have been many changes.  There is a new change that is being undertaken as we speak.  There is now an Ayreton Discussion Group that is for making announcements.

      For the next month or so I will be posting on all websites as I regularly do.  Then the month after that I shall simply send out announcements about the Ayreton Discussion Group on the same regular schedule.  After that all announcements to discussion groups will dwindle to about 1 announcement a month unless there is a major or time sensative announcement that needs to be made.

      This does NOT affect any personal e-mailing you will be receiving.  It ONLY affects announcements made to groups.  If you have any questions about this process at all please feel free to contact me.

      The Ayreton Discussion Group already has over 30 members.  Please find it at:

      I apologize if I have missed anyones announcements.  As always feel free to contact me and I will do my best to make all corrections.  Ayretontownecryer@...  As always I will be happy to make any announcements that I am asked to make that are open inviations and are SCA activity related.