1201Re: [Ayreton] Ayreton baronial question

  • Tedesco da Venezia
    Jun 29, 2007
      The baron and baroness could have a court at any event within the border they want.  However, it's often considered bad form to hold a huge long baronial court at a public event, delaying feast for hours for local atta-boys...  Many baronies, such as Rivenstar (where I started), do baronial court once a year at a private event, such as baronial anniversaries or holiday potlucks.

      Yes, corpora requires that official chapters (shires, baronies, principalities, etc) to have their own seneschal, exchequer, etc.  However how we hand the money/regalia issues are to be determined by us.  We can either continue splitting the wealth from events such as the Ayreton Carnivale and not have much of an account for the barony (since it IS only a "shell"), or keep a baronial account and run events from that and figure out a way to use that money only for stuff that would benefit the area as a whole.  As for regalia, keeping that stuff is up to the current officers and baron/baroness and would get passed when a new baron is made.

      At Pennsic, a whole lot of people from around the area camped with Grey Gargoyles last year.  Even though the registered name was still Grey Gargoyles, we were internally calling it the Ayreton camp.  But like Moira said, you can't force anyone to camp anywhere.  AFAIK, none of the other area shires had a devoted camp, they were all either in household camps or with the Midlands camp.  If there's enough interest, we would form an Ayreton camp.  As for fighting, there's not much fighting going on in this area that we COULD form an Ayreton unit--a lot of the heavies in this area are fighting under the Von B's or different households, and most of the fencers going to Pennsic this year from the area are fighting with the Thieves of Hearts.  But again, if there was enough interest, we could definitely form an Ayreton unit.

      One big issue I keep harping on with this Ayreton thing is we don't force anyone to do anything.  I don't want to take away any shire's autonomy, money, regalia, members, etc.  The purpose of this is to advance the groups, not take away from them to form something else.

      On 6/29/07, elliot liebson <eliebson@...> wrote:
      --I'm wondering if a shell barony would address the local group power
      issues.  All groups would have the opportunity to submit input for selection
      of baron and baroness (who could be from any one of the groups in question),
      and we could designate certain events as 'baronial level' events (Border
      Skirmish and TGS 12th night come to mind, and I'm sure there are others), at
      which there would be baronial court.

      However; would there be a baronial bureaucracy?  for example, a baronial
      exchequer?  I bring that title up because the money issue is probably going
      to be one of the first ones raised.  Also, on a more mundane level, who
      keeps the baronial regalia (such as there is)?  Is there a baronial meeting
      site?  Does it change with the baron/baroness?  At Pennsic, Lillies, Gulf
      Wars, etc., do we go to war as the barony, or as our individual groups?  Do
      we camp together?  Fight together?

      I know that these are nit-picky questions, but having put more than one not
      for profit together, I have found that getting these questions answered
      satisfactorily upfront makes everyone happier later on.  And I certainly do
      not have the answers myself; we all do.

      Salamon

      (of course if we established a duchy instead of a barony, then we would be a
      royal shell duchy.  On second thought, let's not; people will just ask us
      for oil.)

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional