12Ayreton Arts Martial Practices

  • Ayreton Towne Cryer
    Mar 20, 2006
      The Ayreton Fighter Practices

        SUNDAY

      **Grey Gargoyles

       The Ayreton Fighter practice that is held Sundays at the Shire of Grey Gargoyles has been put cancelled due to spring break at the University of Chicago.  This practice will resume April 2, 2006 (AS XXXX)

        This is not the only practice in the Ayreton area.

          TUESDAY PRACTICES

      **Thieves of Heart

        This is currently only a Rapier practice however it is open to heavy fighters as well.  If you are a heavy fighter interested in this practice please contact the Ravenslake Knights Marshall Gintaras at gintarasthetaura@...

        This practice includes 1/2 hour to 1 hour of instruction for rapier at the beginning of the practice.  Marked improvement has been noted for those that attend the practice in their skills.  Everyone is welcome to attend!

        Directions to the Thieves of Heart Practice!!

        Practices are held Tuesday evenings 6:30p to 9p at the
      Glenbrook North High School.  Address: 2300 Shermer Road, Northbrook IL.

        Best way to I - 294 to Willow Road Exit.  Exit
      Willow road to the EAST.  Aprox 1.9 miles to Shermer Road.  Turn Left onto Shermer road.  Follow Shermer 4 blocks to the last driveway into the school and turn left.  Go past the stop sign, turn left into the next parking lot and then turn right behind the tennis courts.  The parking lot will be on your left.  Look for the propped open door to the gym that will be on your left as you enter the parking lot.

      **Foxvale

        The Incipient Shire of Foxvale has practice in
      Aurora, IL from 6p to 9p on Tuesday nights as well.  Here is a link to their events calendar.  Simply click on the link in the calendar to get driving directions.  http://www.foxvale.org/events/php

      WEDNESDAY

      **Archery

      While this practice is not an official SCA archery practice we have been ivited by newcomers to the SCA to come and practice there on Wednesday evenings.  This would be a great way for newcomers to meet "old timers" doing something they both enjoy.

      Every Wednesday evening at about 6:30pm at the Archery Custom Shop in Forest Park. Here's a link: http://www.archerycustomshop.com/index.html We would certainly welcome (and actually encourage) anyone to join us! The cost is only $10.00, which includes a rental bow, 6 arrows, a target, and the range fee.

      If you have your own bow/arrows, the cost is a mere $7.50 (which includes a target and the range fee). If someone is interested in archery and just want to come by and check it out, Heather and I can get them set up and shooting (and having a great time in no time) without having to take a lesson. The people that are regulars to the range are also really kind and genuine - after shooting we all usually go out for a bite at the pub next door to the range. Great camaraderie!

      But, if someone is serious about studying, archery lessons are only $29.00 (again, which includes a rental bow, 6 arrows, target, and range fee as well as the instructor's fee) - both Heather and I study with Ed, who's very patient, detail-oriented, and I believe certified as a Master. Since working with him I'm confident enough to join the competition league there (as I get good shot groupings from 20 yards now). Ed teaches on Wednesdays and Thursdays, and all they'd need to do is call the Archery Custom Shop to set up a time with him...

        TOWNE CRYERS NOTE

      As the Towne Cryer's position has evolved and grown there have been many changes.  There is a new change that is being undertaken as we speak.  There is now an Ayreton Discussion Group that is for making announcements.

      For the next month or so I will be posting on all websites as I regularly do.  Then the month after that I shall simply send out announcements about the Ayreton Discussion Group on the same regular schedule.  After that all announcements to discussion groups will dwindle to about 1 announcement a month unless there is a major or time sensative announcement that needs to be made.

      This does NOT affect any personal e-mailing you will be receiving.  It ONLY affects announcements made to groups.  If you have any questions about this process at all please feel free to contact me.

      The Ayreton Discussion Group already has over 30 members.  Please find it at:

      If anyone else would like any Arts Martial practice announced that takes place in the Ayreton Area please let me know.  I will happily announce it.

      Thank you everyone!

        Ian the Green
        Ayreton Towne Cryer

      Yahoo! Mail