Digital Delivery

  • Pepe
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 11, 2011
      Is anyone doing file based delivery to the Networks. Just found out the NBC is now requiring it for all all shows.

      QuickTime XDCAM
      Video format: XDCAM
      • Wrapper: QuickTime
      • Target bit-rate: 50 mbps
      • File start time: 00:58:30;00 (hh:mm:ss; ff)
      • Resolution: 1920x1080
      • Frame rate: 29.97
      This is what they want.
      Can this be done out of my symphony version 5

      or would it be better to do the other deliverable which is

      3) MXF XDCAM
      Video format: XDCAM
      • Wrapper: MXF
      • Target bit-rate: 50 mbps

      I've never done this and don't know a work flow. Any help would be appreciated.
    • Mark
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 11, 2011
        Delivering digitally to MTV, Oxygen (NBC/Comcast) and others.

        Nothing generates more emails that doing a digital delivery. Have patience. Be willing to
        do a lot of tests, and I hope you have a very fast connection. One hour full rez masters weighing in at around 60-70 gig per episode take approx 4-8 hours to transfer. That's WITH WAN accelleration software (Signiant) and a t-3 line. Los Angeles to NYC.

        Can you do this from your Symphony? I wouldn't know. We're all FCP all the time.

        Mark

        --- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, "Pepe" <pepe.serventi@...> wrote:

        > Is anyone doing file based delivery to the Networks. Just found out the NBC is now requiring it for all all shows.
        >
        > QuickTime XDCAM
        > Video format: XDCAM
        > • Wrapper: QuickTime
        > • Target bit-rate: 50 mbps
        > • File start time: 00:58:30;00 (hh:mm:ss; ff)
        > • Resolution: 1920x1080
        > • Frame rate: 29.97
        > This is what they want.
        > Can this be done out of my symphony version 5
        >
        > or would it be better to do the other deliverable which is
        >
        > 3) MXF XDCAM
        > Video format: XDCAM
        > • Wrapper: MXF
        > • Target bit-rate: 50 mbps
        >
        > I've never done this and don't know a work flow. Any help would be appreciated.

      • Terence Curren
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 11, 2011
          Ahhh the tapeless world... it's sooo much better now. NOT!

          --- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <markraudonis@...> wrote:

          > Delivering digitally to MTV, Oxygen (NBC/Comcast) and others.
          >
          > Nothing generates more emails that doing a digital delivery. Have patience. Be willing to
          > do a lot of tests, and I hope you have a very fast connection. One hour full rez masters weighing in at around 60-70 gig per episode take approx 4-8 hours to transfer. That's WITH WAN accelleration software (Signiant) and a t-3 line. Los Angeles to NYC.
          >
          > Can you do this from your Symphony? I wouldn't know. We're all FCP all the time.
          >
          > Mark
          >

          > --- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, "Pepe" <pepe.serventi@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Is anyone doing file based delivery to the Networks. Just found out the NBC is now requiring it for all all shows.
          > >
          > > QuickTime XDCAM
          > > Video format: XDCAM
          > > • Wrapper: QuickTime
          > > • Target bit-rate: 50 mbps
          > > • File start time: 00:58:30;00 (hh:mm:ss; ff)
          > > • Resolution: 1920x1080
          > > • Frame rate: 29.97
          > > This is what they want.
          > > Can this be done out of my symphony version 5
          > >
          > > or would it be better to do the other deliverable which is
          > >
          > > 3) MXF XDCAM
          > > Video format: XDCAM
          > > • Wrapper: MXF
          > > • Target bit-rate: 50 mbps
          > >
          > > I've never done this and don't know a work flow. Any help would be appreciated.

        • johnrobmoore
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 11, 2011
            Didn't you post that you still have to deliver a tape back up along with the files? Curious is the file delivery viewed as a time saver and or money saver? Obviously not having to buy an HD deck is a savings but what about the risk of internet failure or the potential file corruption along the way? Is the file that much more efficient at the broadcaster's end? Given a tape can be ingested in real time to the server how much faster can a file be ingested and QC'd. Seems to me QCing a tape while it's being ingested would be faster but perhaps I'm missing the obvious.

            --- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <markraudonis@...> wrote:

            > Delivering digitally to MTV, Oxygen (NBC/Comcast) and others.
            >
            > Nothing generates more emails that doing a digital delivery. Have patience. Be willing to
            > do a lot of tests, and I hope you have a very fast connection. One hour full rez masters weighing in at around 60-70 gig per episode take approx 4-8 hours to transfer. That's WITH WAN accelleration software (Signiant) and a t-3 line. Los Angeles to NYC.
            >
            > Can you do this from your Symphony? I wouldn't know. We're all FCP all the time.
            >
            > Mark
            >

            > --- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, "Pepe" <pepe.serventi@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Is anyone doing file based delivery to the Networks. Just found out the NBC is now requiring it for all all shows.
            > >
            > > QuickTime XDCAM
            > > Video format: XDCAM
            > > • Wrapper: QuickTime
            > > • Target bit-rate: 50 mbps
            > > • File start time: 00:58:30;00 (hh:mm:ss; ff)
            > > • Resolution: 1920x1080
            > > • Frame rate: 29.97
            > > This is what they want.
            > > Can this be done out of my symphony version 5
            > >
            > > or would it be better to do the other deliverable which is
            > >
            > > 3) MXF XDCAM
            > > Video format: XDCAM
            > > • Wrapper: MXF
            > > • Target bit-rate: 50 mbps
            > >
            > > I've never done this and don't know a work flow. Any help would be appreciated.

          • Bouke
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 12, 2011
              Dunno about Symphony, but it can be done on MC.
              And unlike others state, tapeless is great. (Unless you like to pay a year
              income or more for a stupid Sony tapestreamer...)
              And it is very easy as well:

              You have to export to XDcam. For that, take the contents of an empty XDcam
              disk (meaning, properly formatted but no shots on it), and put that in the
              root of a harddisk.
              Set your timeline start (or mark In) to 58:30;00.
              Now, export to XDcam. (export to device -> xdCam)
              Your MXF will be in the Clip folder on the target drive, named C0001.MXF.
              Note that there can only be one MXF file there, so move it out before you do
              a second export!

              Of course you can import it back into Avid for QC.

              An empty XDcam structure / files are here:
              https://download.yousendit.com/bFlGK2VsUnJCTW52Wmc9PQ
              (for the next two weeks)

              For Europeans who have to deliver commercials according to SPOT specs, you
              need to have the file renamed and add an XML with program information.
              A handy way to rename/create the XML is to use this tool:
              http://www.videotoolshed.com/product/37/spotxml/3

              (as it is very easy to make mistakes with special
              characters/spaces/underscores etc...)

              Bouke

              VideoToolShed
              van Oldenbarneveltstraat 33
              6512 AS NIJMEGEN
              The Netherlands
              +31 24 3553311
              www.videotoolshed.com
              For large files:
              http://dropbox.yousendit.com/BoukeVahl998172

              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 12, 2011
                On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 10:54 PM, Pepe <pepe.serventi@...>wrote:

                > QuickTime XDCAM
                > Video format: XDCAM
                > � Wrapper: QuickTime
                > � Target bit-rate: 50 mbps
                > � File start time: 00:58:30;00 (hh:mm:ss; ff)
                > � Resolution: 1920x1080
                > � Frame rate: 29.97
                > This is what they want.
                > Can this be done out of my symphony version 5

                Is it possible to export a QuickTime with XDCAM codec in Windows?
                Thanks for the information.

                Agustin Goya
                WANCAMP | POST
                +54-911-6545-2427
                http://www.wancamp.com.ar/
                http://www.linkedin.com/in/agustingoya/
                http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2339496/

              • Bouke
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 12, 2011
                  Yes.

                  Last year i've been working on this with Bob Russo, and made a util that
                  does this for you.
                  (we were trying to get funny framerates into Avid)
                  It even finds the TC in the file (no need to have the XML nor folder
                  structure present)

                  The demo / beta can be found here:
                  http://www.videotoolshed.com/product/62/work-in-progress/3

                  (not much info on the site, but get the demo for Win. Fully functional, but
                  not intended for commercial work)

                  First export to MXF (XDcam compatible, then use my tool.

                  hth,

                  Bouke

                  VideoToolShed
                  van Oldenbarneveltstraat 33
                  6512 AS NIJMEGEN
                  The Netherlands
                  +31 24 3553311
                  www.videotoolshed.com
                  For large files:
                  http://dropbox.yousendit.com/BoukeVahl998172

                  >> . File start time: 00:58:30;00 (hh:mm:ss; ff)
                  >> . Resolution: 1920x1080
                  >> . Frame rate: 29.97
                  >> This is what they want.
                  >> Can this be done out of my symphony version 5
                  >>

                  > Is it possible to export a QuickTime with XDCAM codec in Windows?
                  > Thanks for the information.
                  >

                  > Agustin Goya
                  > WANCAMP | POST
                  > +54-911-6545-2427
                  > http://www.wancamp.com.ar/
                  > http://www.linkedin.com/in/agustingoya/
                  > http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2339496/

                • pleasecallmebob
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 12, 2011
                    The Export to Device works the same on Symphony as it does on Media Composer. I uploaded an empty XDCAM folder to the files section on the L2 and here:
                    http://www.filefactory.com/file/b4f86f7/n/Empty_XDCAM_Folder.zip

                    I also uploaded a PDF to the files section on the L2 that was written by the editor for the Carolina Panthers on how to export an OP1a MXF file.

                    Bob

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 12, 2011
                      Thanks Bouke! You �re great!

                      On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 10:18 AM, Bouke <bouke@...> wrote:

                      > Yes.
                      >
                      > Last year i've been working on this with Bob Russo, and made a util that
                      > does this for you.
                      > (we were trying to get funny framerates into Avid)
                      > It even finds the TC in the file (no need to have the XML nor folder
                      > structure present)
                      >
                      > The demo / beta can be found here:
                      > http://www.videotoolshed.com/product/62/work-in-progress/3
                      >
                      > (not much info on the site, but get the demo for Win. Fully functional, but
                      >
                      > not intended for commercial work)
                      >
                      > First export to MXF (XDcam compatible, then use my tool.
                      >
                      > hth,
                      >

                      > Bouke
                      >
                      > VideoToolShed
                      > van Oldenbarneveltstraat 33
                      > 6512 AS NIJMEGEN
                      > The Netherlands
                      > +31 24 3553311
                      > www.videotoolshed.com
                      > For large files:
                      > http://dropbox.yousendit.com/BoukeVahl998172

                    • Dennis Degan
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 12, 2011
                        On Jan 12, 2011, at 1:10 AM, johnrobmoore wrote:

                        > Didn't you post that you still have to deliver a tape back up along
                        with the files? Curious is the file delivery viewed as a time saver
                        and or money saver. Obviously not having to buy an HD deck is a
                        savings but what about the risk of internet failure or the potential
                        file corruption along the way? Is the file that much more efficient
                        at the broadcaster's end? Given a tape can be ingested in real time
                        to the server how much faster can a file be ingested and QC'd. Seems
                        to me QCing a tape while it's being ingested would be faster but
                        perhaps I'm missing the obvious.

                        I offer:

                        I don't know about program file transfers (I only do one of those a
                        year), but we do file transfers of news clips for EVERYTHING now.
                        The in-house HD file transfers that I do (Avid to Playback) generally
                        run at about real-time rates or slower, depending on the number of
                        players I'm sending to. The savings realized is not therefore a time-
                        saving one. But it is more efficient; I can do other work while the
                        transfer runs in the background. Clearly, the real savings of file
                        transfers is the avoidance of tape handling, shipping, VTR maintenance
                        costs, etc.
                        QC-ing file transfers IS a problem. The files must be checked before
                        air.
                        Little-known fact: Several NBC's US bureaus can now file transfer
                        actual Avid sequences to New York. Not just downmixed cut segments,
                        I'm saying these are ACTUAL Avid edit sequences, as if they were
                        edited in-house. It's really cool and amazing.
                        Tape is used so infrequently now that there may come a time not too
                        far from now where I'll be working in a room without a VTR
                        altogether. There are lots of other edit stations here that do not
                        have VTRs at all. Even now, I rarely even power one up.

                        NBC Today Show, New York
                      • Dennis Degan
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 12, 2011
                          On Jan 12, 2011, at 9:02 AM, pleasecallmebob wrote:

                          > The Export to Device works the same on Symphony as it does on Media
                          Composer. I uploaded an empty XDCAM folder to the files section on the
                          L2 and here:
                          http://www.filefactory.com/file/b4f86f7/n/Empty_XDCAM_Folder.zip
                          > I also uploaded a PDF to the files section on the L2 that was
                          written by the editor for the Carolina Panthers on how to export an
                          OP1a MXF file.

                          I say:

                          I just went to the Avid-L2 website to look for these and found my
                          very own Avid room pictured on the Group page! Cool!

                          NBC Today Show, New York
                        • Tal
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 13, 2011
                            Hello all.
                            Just ran into this on Minute to Win it delivery request.

                            A quick test of a 42 minute show with multiple GFX and CC on every shot and
                            8 Tracks of Audio took about 30 minutes with going to a unity partition.

                            One thing about doing a XDCAM HD "export to device" it skips the outside
                            leaglizer I like... and also skip that "putting it to tape" final viewing...
                            So we hooked up an XDCAM HD machine 1500 or 1600 model and black encoded it
                            then assembeled 2 minutes and then inserted a few punch-ins.
                            When using the the HDCAM-SR 60 protocol on the output tool it worked like a
                            charm.
                            When AMA linked the disk back into the Avid to check the file it cam in with
                            locators for all the inserts... Cool.

                            We are going to get the test to NBC for QC, I'll report when I know more.
                            Tal

                            On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 8:41 AM, Dennis Degan <DennyD1@...> wrote:

                            > On Jan 12, 2011, at 9:02 AM, pleasecallmebob wrote:
                            >
                            > > The Export to Device works the same on Symphony as it does on Media
                            > Composer. I uploaded an empty XDCAM folder to the files section on the
                            > L2 and here:
                            > http://www.filefactory.com/file/b4f86f7/n/Empty_XDCAM_Folder.zip
                            > > I also uploaded a PDF to the files section on the L2 that was
                            > written by the editor for the Carolina Panthers on how to export an
                            > OP1a MXF file.
                            >
                            > I say:
                            >
                            > I just went to the Avid-L2 website to look for these and found my
                            > very own Avid room pictured on the Group page! Cool!
                            >

                            > Dennis Degan, Video Editor-Consultant-Knowledge Bank
                            > NBC Today Show, New York

                          • Dylan Reeve
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 16, 2011
                              This is great - not sure why I'd never tried it before...

                              I didn't have a spare drive available so I used my old DOS 5 skillz...

                              I extracted XDCAM structure onto a drive as D:\XDCAM then opened up a
                              Command Prompt and typed: subst x: d:\xdcam

                              SUBST is an old DOS command that maps a directory to appear as a drive
                              letter, so then X: becomes and alias for d:\xdcam - it works perfectly in
                              Avid.

                              I've used the same trick in the past to create virtual drives for media
                              management... eg. "subst g: e:\project-a" where e:\project-a has an Avid
                              MediaFiles directory. Very helpful for consolidating projects for a nice
                              clean tidy-up...

                              Dylan Reeve
                              http://dylanreeve.com/

                              On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 10:40 PM, Bouke <bouke@...> wrote:

                              > Dunno about Symphony, but it can be done on MC.
                              > And unlike others state, tapeless is great. (Unless you like to pay a year
                              > income or more for a stupid Sony tapestreamer...)
                              > And it is very easy as well:
                              >
                              > You have to export to XDcam. For that, take the contents of an empty XDcam
                              > disk (meaning, properly formatted but no shots on it), and put that in the
                              > root of a harddisk.
                              > Set your timeline start (or mark In) to 58:30;00.
                              > Now, export to XDcam. (export to device -> xdCam)
                              > Your MXF will be in the Clip folder on the target drive, named C0001.MXF.
                              > Note that there can only be one MXF file there, so move it out before you
                              > do
                              > a second export!
                              >
                              > Of course you can import it back into Avid for QC.
                              >
                              > An empty XDcam structure / files are here:
                              > https://download.yousendit.com/bFlGK2VsUnJCTW52Wmc9PQ
                              > (for the next two weeks)
                              >
                              > For Europeans who have to deliver commercials according to SPOT specs, you
                              > need to have the file renamed and add an XML with program information.
                              > A handy way to rename/create the XML is to use this tool:
                              > http://www.videotoolshed.com/product/37/spotxml/3
                              >
                              > (as it is very easy to make mistakes with special
                              > characters/spaces/underscores etc...)
                              >
                              > Bouke
                              >
                              > VideoToolShed
                              > van Oldenbarneveltstraat 33
                              > 6512 AS NIJMEGEN
                              > The Netherlands
                              > +31 24 3553311
                              > www.videotoolshed.com
                              > For large files:
                              > http://dropbox.yousendit.com/BoukeVahl998172

                            • Bouke
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 17, 2011
                                Nice!

                                However, get Bob's manual from the download area, it shows you how it can be
                                done without the DosDance
                                (Usining AMA first, did not know that trick either...)

                              • Robert Lawson
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 17, 2011
                                  We have found that you only need the Clip folder and an empty text
                                  file called mediapro.xml.

                                  It appears that's all Avid looks for to allow for exporting to an xdcam "disc".

                                  On 1/17/11, Dylan Reeve <dylan@...> wrote:
                                  > This is great - not sure why I'd never tried it before...
                                  >
                                  > I didn't have a spare drive available so I used my old DOS 5 skillz...
                                  >
                                  > I extracted XDCAM structure onto a drive as D:\XDCAM then opened up a
                                  > Command Prompt and typed: subst x: d:\xdcam
                                  >
                                  > SUBST is an old DOS command that maps a directory to appear as a drive
                                  > letter, so then X: becomes and alias for d:\xdcam - it works perfectly in
                                  > Avid.
                                  >
                                  > I've used the same trick in the past to create virtual drives for media
                                  > management... eg. "subst g: e:\project-a" where e:\project-a has an Avid
                                  > MediaFiles directory. Very helpful for consolidating projects for a nice
                                  > clean tidy-up...
                                  >
                                  > Dylan Reeve
                                  > http://dylanreeve.com/
                                  >

                                  > On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 10:40 PM, Bouke <bouke@...> wrote:
                                  >

                                  >> Dunno about Symphony, but it can be done on MC.
                                  >> And unlike others state, tapeless is great. (Unless you like to pay a year
                                  >> income or more for a stupid Sony tapestreamer...)
                                  >> And it is very easy as well:
                                  >>
                                  >> You have to export to XDcam. For that, take the contents of an empty XDcam
                                  >> disk (meaning, properly formatted but no shots on it), and put that in the
                                  >> root of a harddisk.
                                  >> Set your timeline start (or mark In) to 58:30;00.
                                  >> Now, export to XDcam. (export to device -> xdCam)
                                  >> Your MXF will be in the Clip folder on the target drive, named C0001.MXF.
                                  >> Note that there can only be one MXF file there, so move it out before you
                                  >> do
                                  >> a second export!
                                  >>
                                  >> Of course you can import it back into Avid for QC.
                                  >>
                                  >> An empty XDcam structure / files are here:
                                  >> https://download.yousendit.com/bFlGK2VsUnJCTW52Wmc9PQ
                                  >> (for the next two weeks)
                                  >>
                                  >> For Europeans who have to deliver commercials according to SPOT specs, you
                                  >> need to have the file renamed and add an XML with program information.
                                  >> A handy way to rename/create the XML is to use this tool:
                                  >> http://www.videotoolshed.com/product/37/spotxml/3
                                  >>
                                  >> (as it is very easy to make mistakes with special
                                  >> characters/spaces/underscores etc...)
                                  >>
                                  >> Bouke
                                  >>
                                  >> VideoToolShed
                                  >> van Oldenbarneveltstraat 33
                                  >> 6512 AS NIJMEGEN
                                  >> The Netherlands
                                  >> +31 24 3553311
                                  >> www.videotoolshed.com
                                  >> For large files:
                                  >> http://dropbox.yousendit.com/BoukeVahl998172

                                  ---
                                  Rob Lawson
                                  System Administrator, ACSR ISIS, Windows & Interplay
                                  CBS News
                                • Dylan Reeve
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jan 17, 2011
                                    Good to know, thanks.

                                    I posted a little thing about this on my website (
                                    http://dylanreeve.com/videotv/2011/virtual-xdcam.html) detailing my subst
                                    trick, and got this handy comment from Alaster (online editor at Images Post
                                    in Auckland):

                                    Great trick.

                                    I use a bat command file to similar effect�

                                    In notepad, write

                                    @echo off
                                    subst x: /d
                                    subst x: %1

                                    and, after saving, change the file extension to .bat

                                    Now, you can drag any folder onto this icon to mount as X:

                                    Also, double clicking will unmount the X:

                                    Dylan Reeve
                                    http://dylanreeve.com/

                                    On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 12:30 PM, Robert Lawson <avidrhl@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                    > >> Now, export to XDcam. (export to device -> xdCam)
                                    > >> Your MXF will be in the Clip folder on the target drive, named
                                    > C0001.MXF.
                                    > >> Note that there can only be one MXF file there, so move it out before
                                    > you
                                    > >> do
                                    > >> a second export!
                                    > >>
                                    > >> Of course you can import it back into Avid for QC.
                                    > >>
                                    > >> An empty XDcam structure / files are here:
                                    > >> https://download.yousendit.com/bFlGK2VsUnJCTW52Wmc9PQ
                                    > >> (for the next two weeks)
                                    > >>
                                    > >> For Europeans who have to deliver commercials according to SPOT specs,
                                    > you
                                    > >> need to have the file renamed and add an XML with program information.
                                    > >> A handy way to rename/create the XML is to use this tool:
                                    > >> http://www.videotoolshed.com/product/37/spotxml/3
                                    > >>
                                    > >> (as it is very easy to make mistakes with special

                                  • Craig Rutledge
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jan 18, 2011
                                      For managing virtual drives,

                                      http://www.ntwind.com/software/utilities/visual-subst.html

                                      portable,

                                      http://leelusoft.blogspot.com/2009/11/virtual-drives-manager-10.html

                                      wrote:

                                      > We have found that you only need the Clip folder and an empty text
                                      > file called mediapro.xml.
                                      >
                                      > It appears that's all Avid looks for to allow for exporting to an
                                      xdcam
                                      > "disc".
                                      >

                                      > On 1/17/11, Dylan Reeve <dylan@...
                                      <dylan%40dylan.wibble.net>>