RE: [AviStack] Solution to Crashes of AV2 [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

  • Cool, Andrew
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2012
      Hello All,

      I believe that I've located the point in the AS2 code where this
      "GFRAME" crash occurs.

      ;Remove brightness gradients from image (high pass filter)
      sFrame = (tmpFrame - Smooth(tmpFrame, 15, /Edge_Truncate))

      ;Smooth the image to remove noise
      gFrame = Convol(sFrame, Gauss_Filter(15), /Edge_truncate, /Center) >
      0.0

      ;Remove maxima from outer parts of the frame
      m[0: 0.15 * self.wx, *] = 0
      m[0.85 * self.wx: self.wx - 1, *] = 0
      m[*, 0: 0.15 * self.wy] = 0
      m[*, 0.85 * self.wy: self.wy - 1] = 0

      ;get their locations
      w = where(m GT 0)

      ;Take the first 30 (highest maximums) or how many there are if there
      are less.
      s = (Reverse(Sort(gFrame[w])))[0: 29 < (N_Elements(w) - 1)]

      What's happening revolves around the line w = where(m GT 0)

      If there are no values of m greater than 0, then the WHERE function
      returns w as -1 rather than an array of
      Coordinates values.

      In the next line, trying to reference Sort(gFrame[w]) with w = -1 is
      always going to throw an error.

      What Michael Theusner should have done here is put in a test for w = -1.

      ***BUT*** the bigger problem for all of us AS2 users is that Michael has
      changed jobs, and no longer
      Has access to a licensed copy of the IDL language in which AviStack is
      written.

      Now I happen to have a copy of the source code as of 2010, when I built
      the 64bit Windows version for Michael.
      But I am no substitute for Michael in terms of comprehending his very
      sophisticated, lengthy and complex AviStack2 program.

      I could attempt to remedy this GRAME error, but I do not know what
      ramifications may follow in the rest of the program. I would
      Be coding with a blindfold on.

      What we ultimately need to do is either buy AviStack from Michael so
      that he can afford to purchase a licence for IDL,
      Or we band together and donate to a "Buy Michael an IDL Licence" Fund.

      Regards,

      Andrew Cool
      www.skippysky.com.au

      Message 2 of 4 , May 12, 2012
        Hi Andrew,

        How much is an IDL licence?

        I found an open-source alternative to IDL called GDL but it doesn't have a Windows version, apparently due to lack of demand - see here

        http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnudatalanguage/forums/forum/338691/topic/4629984

        It might be worth posting to that link asking for a Windows version?

        Dave

        --- In AviStack@yahoogroups.com, "Cool, Andrew" <andrew.cool@...> wrote:

        > Hello All,
        >
        > I believe that I've located the point in the AS2 code where this
        > "GFRAME" crash occurs.
        >
        > ;Remove brightness gradients from image (high pass filter)
        > sFrame = (tmpFrame - Smooth(tmpFrame, 15, /Edge_Truncate))
        >
        > ;Smooth the image to remove noise
        > gFrame = Convol(sFrame, Gauss_Filter(15), /Edge_truncate, /Center) >
        > 0.0
        >
        > ;Remove maxima from outer parts of the frame
        > m[0: 0.15 * self.wx, *] = 0
        > m[0.85 * self.wx: self.wx - 1, *] = 0
        > m[*, 0: 0.15 * self.wy] = 0
        > m[*, 0.85 * self.wy: self.wy - 1] = 0
        >
        > ;get their locations
        > w = where(m GT 0)
        >
        > ;Take the first 30 (highest maximums) or how many there are if there
        > are less.
        > s = (Reverse(Sort(gFrame[w])))[0: 29 < (N_Elements(w) - 1)]
        >

        > What's happening revolves around the line w = where(m GT 0)
        >
        > If there are no values of m greater than 0, then the WHERE function
        > returns w as -1 rather than an array of
        > Coordinates values.
        >
        > In the next line, trying to reference Sort(gFrame[w]) with w = -1 is
        > always going to throw an error.
        >
        > What Michael Theusner should have done here is put in a test for w = -1.
        >
        > ***BUT*** the bigger problem for all of us AS2 users is that Michael has
        > changed jobs, and no longer
        > Has access to a licensed copy of the IDL language in which AviStack is
        > written.
        >
        > Now I happen to have a copy of the source code as of 2010, when I built
        > the 64bit Windows version for Michael.
        > But I am no substitute for Michael in terms of comprehending his very
        > sophisticated, lengthy and complex AviStack2 program.
        >
        > I could attempt to remedy this GRAME error, but I do not know what
        > ramifications may follow in the rest of the program. I would
        > Be coding with a blindfold on.
        >
        > What we ultimately need to do is either buy AviStack from Michael so
        > that he can afford to purchase a licence for IDL,
        > Or we band together and donate to a "Buy Michael an IDL Licence" Fund.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Andrew Cool
        > www.skippysky.com.au

      • Rainer
        Message 3 of 4 , May 13, 2012
          " Or we band together and donate to a "Buy Michael an IDL Licence" Fund. "

          Hi Andrew,

          I agree with you.

          How much is the cost for an IDL License ?

          regards Rainer

        • Luca
          Message 4 of 4 , May 14, 2012
            I agree: if we decide to pool together and buy a license for Michael I'm in.

            Luca