"Unable to allocate memory: to make array" error

  • Steve Lang
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2011
      Hi.

      I've been using avistack for a while now (and love it!), but only
      recently joined this email list. I've researched my problem quite
      extensively, and found no solution, so thought I would post here.

      Details: Avistack2, WinXP Pro, 4Gbyte RAM (3.5 addressable), Orion Atlas
      10 eq-g

      I'm trying to stack 20 x DSLR moon images (29Mbyte each, 3872px x
      2592px, .tiff files). The images were captured as .dng (Pentax K10d),
      and I used IrfanView to batch convert to .tiff as I couldn't get
      Avistack to read the .dng (or the 'native' Pentax .pef files).

      Avistack2 works fine, and I follow the process (as I have for a long
      time with much smaller webcam images) and when I get to 'Frame Stacking'
      the error "The following error was encountered: Unable to allocate
      memory: to make array. Please consult the supplier of the application".

      I could assume that the resolution is too high, or the individual frames
      are too big, but thought I'd ask rather than make assumptions. Is there
      anything that I can do to fix this?

      With an exposure time of 1/640th of a sec, burst mode of 3+ frames/sec
      (much more than my Meade LPI) I'm starting to get some decent shots, and
      hence want to try to stack them to squeeze the most out of my kit.

      Cheers -
    • jmzawodny
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2011
        It might work on a 64-bit OS but, I don't think it will work with your system.  How many alignment points (although I do not think that is the problem)?

        Joe

        --- In AviStack@yahoogroups.com, Steve Lang <steve.lang@...> wrote:

        > Hi.
        >
        > I've been using avistack for a while now (and love it!), but only
        > recently joined this email list. I've researched my problem quite
        > extensively, and found no solution, so thought I would post here.
        >
        > Details: Avistack2, WinXP Pro, 4Gbyte RAM (3.5 addressable), Orion Atlas
        > 10 eq-g
        >
        > I'm trying to stack 20 x DSLR moon images (29Mbyte each, 3872px x
        > 2592px, .tiff files). The images were captured as .dng (Pentax K10d),
        > and I used IrfanView to batch convert to .tiff as I couldn't get
        > Avistack to read the .dng (or the 'native' Pentax .pef files).
        >
        > Avistack2 works fine, and I follow the process (as I have for a long
        > time with much smaller webcam images) and when I get to 'Frame Stacking'
        > the error "The following error was encountered: Unable to allocate
        > memory: to make array. Please consult the supplier of the application".
        >
        > I could assume that the resolution is too high, or the individual frames
        > are too big, but thought I'd ask rather than make assumptions. Is there
        > anything that I can do to fix this?
        >
        > With an exposure time of 1/640th of a sec, burst mode of 3+ frames/sec
        > (much more than my Meade LPI) I'm starting to get some decent shots, and
        > hence want to try to stack them to squeeze the most out of my kit.
        >
        > Cheers -

      • steve Lang
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2, 2011
          Hey.

          I picked 4 aligment points, most of the rest of the settings were left at
          default. I did try increasing one setting so that it selected less
          individual points (sorry, my terminology isn't great here, and I'm not @
          home in front of it) but that didn't make any fundamental difference.

          Cheers -

          --
          Steve Lang

          "Si dies hodiernus esset piscis, reicerem"
        • jmzawodny
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2, 2011
            I did a little testing with images from my DSLR quite some time ago before I got a 64-bit system.  I ran out of memory.

            Sorry,

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 2, 2011
              Hi Joe.

              Thanks for that. Did you try again on a 64 bit machine? If so, did that work?

              Cheers -

            • steve Lang
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 18 6:23 PM
                Just to followup on my own question - for quite some time I've been
                needing to investigate installing/using Winx64 etc., so have now done
                so.

                The problems that I experienced here do not occur for me when using the
                64bit version of avistack on Win7x64.

                Cheers -