The LSG New Music Series Thurs 05/03/2007, 8pm SF

  • Rent Romus
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2007
      *****************************
      OUTSOUND PRESENTS
      LSG New Music Series @
      LUGGAGE STORE GALLERY
      1007 Market St. @ 6th St
      San Francisco, California USA
      *****************************
      Thursday, May 3, 2007 8:00 PM

      8pm: Ben Bracken
      9pm: Larnie Fox's Cranks Ensemble

      Ben Bracken plays music that is sometimes electronic
      and sometimes acoustic, sometimes improvised and
      sometimes scripted, sometimes loud and sometimes
      quiet. To do this he uses prepared guitar, laptop,
      junk, field recordings, contact mics, feedback and
      silence. He is currently enrolled at Mills College for
      an MFA of Electronic Music and working on both
      performance and installation oriented works and is
      especially interested in the issues of the perception
      of space as mediated by sound.

      Larnie Fox writes:
      The crank is the mechanical version of a loop. By
      using hand-cranked instruments, we are able to create
      rhythmic and repetitive patterns easily. We can alter
      the sound by altering the crank's speed and direction,
      and we can also use plucking and scratching. By
      working in an ensemble, we can create layers of
      sound.The resulting sounds are surprisingly pleasing.
      They can range from sparse new-music style "plinking"
      to melodic loopiness to hardcore noise. I made the
      first instruments for a performance at the Garden of
      Memory event, organized by Sarah Cahill. I was working
      on more mechanized sound sculptures, but became
      frustrated by the lack of nuance and the presence of
      motor noise. Once I built the instruments, I needed to
      recruit people to crank them. I was very lucky to find
      some exceptional people and perform with them.
      www.infoflow.com/larnie

      Cost : $6-10
      Outsound Presents is an emerging non-profit artist run
      presenting organization. We ask that you contribute
      $6-10. All Ages welcome, no one refused for lack of
      funds.
      The Luggage Store Gallery is a non-profit art
      organization that graciously provides venue support.
      For Gallery info tel: 415.255.5971;
      For booking email Rent Romus: rentromus@...
      To get to the LSG New Music Series take BART to the
      Powell street station and walk a little over a block
      to 6th & Market. Parking is best on Mission between
      6th & 7th Sts.
      for more info visit:
      http://www.outsound.org/
      http://www.luggagestoregallery.org/
      http://www.bayimproviser.com/venuedetail.asp?venue_id=7

      Rent Romus on Pax Recordings more info ...check out http://www.romus.net
      want more 100% independent sounds & services?
      http://www.edgetonerecords.com, http://www.uircmusic.com, http://www.gertrudemusic.com

      http://mail.yahoo.com