ERNESTO DIAZ-INFANTE & CHRIS FORSYTH March 2002 Europe Tour

  • Ernesto Diaz-Infante
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2002
      Greetings Friends, Fans, Press, and Promoters,

      Chris Forsyth and I will be embarking on an exciting tour of Germany and
      the U.K. in March, and returning to NYC for three peformances, including
      our first at Roulette. Thanks to those of you who contributed to making
      the bookings for this tour. Your time, effort and consideration are
      greatly appreciated.

      Below is the schedule of our shows. If you find yourself or know friends
      in the vicinity, please check-out the show, introduce yourself - contact
      the venue for times, location. And as usual, we're always interested in
      performing/recording/collaborating with local musicians, too.

      All the best,
      Ernesto and Chris
      email: <ernestodiazinfante@...>
      http://www.paxrecordings.com/ernesto
      http://www.improvisedandotherwise.com/cf.htm

      ITINERARY and CONTACT SHEET

      GERMANY DATES:

      March 6 - Fly to Europe (Frankfurt, Germany)

      March 7 - nulldrei. e.V. - Würzburg, Germany
      21h, IMMERHIN, Friedrich-Ebert-Ring 27
      email: rigo@...
      http://www.nulldrei.org/
      tel: 0931 / 7 55 62

      March 8 - Club Voltaire e.V. - Tübingen, Germany
      20.30h, Haaggasse 26b
      e-mail: thomas.maos@...
      http://www.club-voltaire.com
      tel: 07071-51524

      March 9 - ZAKK e.V. (Knieschussclub) - Bremen, Germany
      20h, Sielpfad 11
      e-mail: knieschussclub@...
      tel: 0421-76113

      March 10 - Atelier 20A - Hamburg, Germany
      20h, Freidensallee 20A (Atelier neben Monsuntheater)
      e-mail: AnkeHughes@...
      tel: (040)40188440

      March 11 - Labor Sonor (KuLe) - Berlin, Germany
      21.30h, Auguststrasse 10 Berlin-Mitte
      e-mail: laborsonor@...
      http://www.echtzeitmusik.de/

      March 15 - JazzKeller 69 e.V. (with ON! Trio) - Berlin, Germany
      21h, Puschkinallee 5,
      e-mail: Jazzkeller69@...
      http://www.jazzkeller69.de.vu/
      tel: 0 30 - 5 33 79 52

      U.K. DATES:

      March 16 - Centurion - Deptford, London U.K.
      9pm, 1 Deptford Broadway, SE8 (DLR Deptford Bridge)
      e-mail: tomscott117@...
      http://www.l-m-c.org.uk/

      March 17 - the new chamber music 1 (w/Bob Boster) - Brighton, United Kingdom
      7pm, Circus Circus, 2 Preston Circus
      e-mail: notquiet@...
      tel: 01403 251372

      March 18 - Bonnington Centre - London SW8 U.K.
      8pm, 11 Vauxhall Grove
      e-mail: davetucker_5@...
      http://www.bonningtoncentre.com/
      tel: 01932 571323

      March 20 - Ryan's - London N16 U.K.
      8:30pm, 181 Stoke Newington Church Street
      e-mail: davetucker_5@...
      http://www.l-m-c.org.uk/

      March 21 - The Sussex (The Klinker) - London N1 U.K.
      8:30pm, 107a Culford Road
      e-mail: theklinker@...
      http://www.theklinker.freeserve.co.uk/

      March 23 - Fly back to New York City USA

      NEW YORK DATES:

      March 24 - Freddy's Back Room (w/rev.99) - Brooklyn, NY USA
      3-6pm, 485 Dean St. @ 6th Ave
      e-mail: freddys@...
      http://www.freddysbackroom.com/
      tel: 718.622.7035

      March 28 - Roulette - New York City USA
      8:30pm, 228 West Broadway
      e-mail: info@...
      http://www.roulette.org/
      tel: 212.219.8242

      March 29 - newsonic headquarters (w/Jeff Arnal) - Brooklyn, NY USA
      10pm, 76 Rutledge
      e-mail: info@...
      http://www.newsonic.com/
      tel: 718.596.5921

      March 31 - Fly back to San Francisco, California USA

      ERNESTO DIAZ-INFANTE
      lives and works in San Francisco, California USA
      San Francisco based multi-instrumentalist Ernesto Diaz-Infante is an
      active performer, improviser, and composer of instrumental chamber
      music; he has had performances and radio broadcasts all over the world.
      Diaz-Infante received an MFA in music composition from California
      Institute of the Arts, where he studied with Stephen L. Mosko and Wadada
      Leo Smith. He has worked in residence at the Centre International de
      Recherche Musicale (CIRM), Villa Arson (both in Nice, France), Millay
      Colony for the Arts, Centrum, Villa Montalvo, New York Mills Arts
      Retreat, Ucross Foundation, and Dorland Mountain Arts Colony. His music
      is recorded on Bottomfeeder, Edgetone Records, Evolving Ear,
      InstrumenTales, Lazy Squid Rekkids, oTo, Pax, pfMENTUM, Public Eyesore,
      Staalplaat, Seagull, Sweet Stuff Media, and Zzaj Productions.
      Diaz-Infante has performed/collaborated with numerous musicians
      including Gustavo Aguilar, Jeff Arnal, William Fowler Collins, Dan
      DeChellis, Bruce Eisenbeil, Chris Forsyth, Philip Gayle, Bret Hart,
      Boris Hauf, Chris Heenan, Marcel Herms, Bill Horist, Jeff Kaiser, Left
      Coast Improv Group, Bob Marsh, Dick Metcalf, Donald Miller, Kurt Newman,
      Nmperign, Anders Ostberg, Rev.99, Rent Romus, Rotten Piece, Blaise
      Siwula, W.O.O Revelator, Jack Wright and many more. He is the curator of
      the Luggage Store Gallery (Creative Music Thursdays) series in San
      Francisco and co-founder of The Big Sur Experimental Music Festival in
      Big Sur, California and The San Francisco Alternative Music Festival
      (SFALT) in San Francisco, California USA.
      more info check-out:
      http://www.paxrecordings.com
      http://www.sfalt.org

      CHRIS FORSYTH
      Chris Forsyth is a Brooklyn, NY based electric guitarist engaged in
      exploring the possibilities of improvisation in music. He has been
      working in New York City and performing throughout the United States
      with multiple ensembles since 1996, including a performance at the 2001
      Philadelphia Fringe Festival, and two appearances at the Big Sur (CA)
      Experimental Music Festival (1999 & 2001). His ongoing, long-term
      projects include the groups ALL TIME PRESENT (NYC), W.O.O. REVELATOR
      (NYC), and DJALMA MOVEMENT & MUSIC ENSEMBLE (Berlin/New Mexico), and a
      duo with pianist/acoustic guitarist ERNESTO DIAZ-INFANTE (San
      Francisco). Recordings of these groups have been released on the Pax
      Recordings, Evolving Ear, Sweetstuff Media, and Bottomfeeder labels, and
      received radio play and press acclaim worldwide. In addition, he has
      performed in NYC with, among others, Loren Mazzacane Connors, Brian
      Moran, Greg Kelley, Assif Tsahar, Daniel Carter, Gary Smith, Dan
      Dechellis, Jeff Arnal, Tony Bevan, and as a solo curated by Derek
      Bailey. He was also the curator of the Bunker Annex Series of
      improvised and creative music at the Knitting Factory in New York City
      from Jan-Dec, 2001, and is a co-organizer of the Improvised & Otherwise
      Festival of Sound and Form, a three day event scheduled for April, 2002
      in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.
      Check out http://www.improvisedandotherwise.com/cf.htm

      Though he considers himself to be essentially self-taught, Chris has
      studied music and guitar technique with Richard Lloyd and Joe Morris,
      each icons of rock and jazz guitar, respectively. His developments on
      the guitar are rooted in the idea that the electric guitar is a sound
      generating device, whose very electricity can be harnessed, controlled,
      and manipulated to generate myriad sounds. While fluent in the
      vocabularies of rock, jazz, and indeed, generic "free improvisation,"
      Chris looks outside of the scope of traditional guitar sounds that have
      been developed over the years. The aim is to drag the electric guitar,
      arguably the most prominent popular instrument of the 20th century,
      kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

      Recent projects includea concert tours of Germany, Poland, Belgium, and
      Switzerland in January 2002 with the group W.O.O. REVELATOR
      (www.wooweb.com). A new CD "Distant Microphones Pick Up Both Direct and
      Reflected Sound," will be released in early 2002 by the group ALL TIME
      PRESENT (with percussionists Toshi Makihara & David Gould, and
      guitarists Rich Gross & Ethan Sklar). Also, an extended 4 to 6-week
      concert tour of the United States is planned for late 2002 with Ernesto
      Diaz-Infante. A continuing series of performances in New York City and
      the Northeast United States with numerous collaborators continues
      regularly.

      MORE PRESS QUOTES

      ON ERNESTO DIAZ-INFANTE & CHRIS FORSYTH:

      "(Ernesto Diaz-Infante and Chris Forsyth) first got together in 1999,
      but to listen to their highly intelligent and effective electro-acoutsic
      music one might think that they've been on the same wavelength for a
      good deal longer than that—I personally would have guessed at somewhere
      between two and three thousand years." -- Walter Horn, Signal to Noise

      "The dialogue established between the two musicians is convincing, their
      sound palette enough varied to sustain the attention. Both have a
      propensity to land on tonal islands in the flow of free improv, which
      gives them the power to destabilize and charm. Recommended. (****)" --
      François Couture, All Music Guide, www.allmusicguide.com

      "This record offers an extremely creative take on string music in all
      its rich variety. The ideas that work on Wires and Wooden Boxes are
      timelessly beautiful."-- Nils Jacobson, All About Jazz,
      www.allaboutjazz.com

      "Ernesto Diaz-Infante and Chris Forsyth go beyond the perceived random
      acts of improvisation into a cohesive and hearty musical experience. In
      a sea of sound, this release stands out above the rest." --Rent Romus,
      San Francisco Transbay Creative Music Calendar

      "There are ‘right’ and ‘wrong’ ways to play, depending on the approach.
      Ernesto Diaz-Infante and Chris Forsyth play the wrong way. All the
      time. Most often, the results are spectacular." --Jon Worley, Aiding
      and Abetting

      ON ALL TIME PRESENT (Chris Forsyth, Toshi Makihara, Rich Gross, Ethan
      Sklar, David Gould):
      "Their skewered rock sounds like Twin Infinitives era Royal Trux, even
      as the heady, feedback soaked passages carry them so far across the map
      they could pass for Joseph Holbrooke. It's that good."--David Keenan,
      the WIRE, March 2001

      "Fascinating- a constant parade of brief, imagistic moments that add up
      to a very compelling group language." --CADENCE Magazine, July 2001

      "…the quintet performs within an unclassifiable climate, teeming with
      abstracts, surreal dialogue, happenstance and curiously interesting
      interplay." Glenn Astarita, All About Jazz, www.allaboutjazz.com

      "…improvisations firmly anchored in the sound of stretched steel
      strings. No tonal washes or FX swill here: the trio dares to deal in
      actual notes and speedy melodic sleight of hand." David Keenan, the
      WIRE, issue 185, July 1999

      " Forsyth, Gross and Sklar play together with remarkable variety and
      listening, and successfully transform three guitars into a compelling
      nocturnal ride through the mean streets… This could book-end bravely
      with Hendrix's Star-Spangled Banner." Doug Lang, CODA Magazine,

      " All Time Present a great name that gets at the spirit of the
      improvised moment exchanges aggressiveness for the carefulness
      necessary when three guitars talk together, leaving the excitement to
      brew up around the edges as the left and right channel axes bring it
      back to the leader in the middle. The interplay is sweet, inventiveness
      endless, and the flow is strong." Jeff Bagato, MOLE Magazine #13, 2000

      ON ERNESTO DIAZ-INFANTE

      "He's a big talent." Walter Horn, Signal to Noise

      "...Diaz-Infante breaks down the creative process into its most basic
      elements of man and instrument."--Scott Menhinick, Signal to Noise.

      "Diaz-Infante's rampant creativity always manages to surprise and
      overwhelm me...." --Jon Worley, Aiding & Abetting.

      **Please forward this email to anyone you know who might be interested**
    • Friedrich Kapitzke
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2002
        Hi,I'll try to see your gigs in Berlin on 11th an 15th of march,in the
        jazzkeller69 we had a gig ourselves tonight (PEAK)
        see you F.