AutoRealm plugin work advancements

  • berenger.morel@neutralite.org
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2012
      Sorry for the long time without news... Many things to do and few time
      to give to autorealm.

      I would like to have good news for you after those three weeks, but I
      am facing a problem, and I would like some verifications under windows
      operating systems.
      Here are explanations:
      I have made the big lines of the plug-in architecture, and have wrote a
      plug-in to test it. The plug-in currently does nothing, except adding an
      option in menus and an item in a toolbar. If toolbar and menu does not
      exists, it creates them.
      This functionality, when I see the big number of toolbar items of
      autorealm, will really allow me to gain many time, because debugging
      will be easier, and I will not need to recompile the whole thing each
      time. More, it will be easier for people to contribute their own
      plug-ins (and they will not have to learn to use wxWidgets). So, it will
      save a big amount of time.

      The problem is that the plug-in framework I used to avoid having to
      implement loading of plug-ins have a problem, at least on Linux, my OS.
      I tried the example workspace on an old windows XP SP3 and it seem to
      work perfectly, so I think (and hope) the problem is just a Linux one.
      So, if someone can build the AutoRealm I am making and try to run it
      under windows (more recent than XP, if possible, to be sure there are no
      other problems), it could greatly help me. The fact is that anyway, such
      king of help will be important in future, as I can only quickly build
      and run a windows software at work.

      If someone is interested, here are things needed:
      _ wxWidgets 2.9 compiled with STL support (2.8 should work too, because
      actually there are no dynamic event handling, but in future I will use
      such things)
      _ pluma framework (it can be find on sourceforge)
      _ codeblocks (to build)

      If someone can write makefiles or create VS project, I would be happy
      to add such files to the project, too.

      When I will be sure that the GUI plug-in system is ok, I will be able
      to write things to make it interact with the autorealm workspace itself,
      and work will be almost done for all engines.
      It means that next goals will simply be to add basic tools, like
      be probably be really fast), basic drawings and basic moves.
      I hope to be able to have something usable less than a month after
      having plug-in system work. And, I think when those features will be ok,
      I will start to create public alpha releases. The work should go really
      fast then.

      PS: as some people already discussed with me via private mails, I would
      like to take advantage of this mail to signal that my mail have changed.
    • Stirling Westrup
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3, 2012
        On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 3:46 PM, <berenger.morel@...> wrote:
        > Sorry for the long time without news... Many things to do and few time
        > to give to autorealm.
        >
        > If someone is interested, here are things needed:
        > _ wxWidgets 2.9 compiled with STL support (2.8 should work too, because
        > actually there are no dynamic event handling, but in future I will use
        > such things)
        > _ pluma framework (it can be find on sourceforge)
        > _ codeblocks (to build)
        >
        > If someone can write makefiles or create VS project, I would be happy
        > to add such files to the project, too.
        >
        > When I will be sure that the GUI plug-in system is ok, I will be able
        > to write things to make it interact with the autorealm workspace itself,
        > and work will be almost done for all engines.
        > It means that next goals will simply be to add basic tools, like
        > be probably be really fast), basic drawings and basic moves.
        > I hope to be able to have something usable less than a month after
        > having plug-in system work. And, I think when those features will be ok,
        > I will start to create public alpha releases. The work should go really
        > fast then.
        >
        > PS: as some people already discussed with me via private mails, I would
        > like to take advantage of this mail to signal that my mail have changed.

        I'm a software developer and would be willing to help out with
        AutoREALM. I mostly work in Linux, but I have access to a system
        running Vista 7 and another running XP, so I could help with testing.

        I don't currently have either set up as development environments, but
        would be willing to do so if that's needed. Let me know how I can
        help.

        --
        Stirling Westrup
        Programmer, Entrepreneur.