ASA Statement on Denmark Study

  • Sallie Bernard
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2003
      From the ASA's September 30th E-Newsletter

      *****************

      New Study on Vaccines and Autism in Oct 1 JAMA

      A large-scale Danish study on vaccines and autism has just been
      published in the October 1, 2003, issue of the Journal of the American
      Medial Association. The objective of the study, which was conducted by
      Anders Hviid, M.Sc., and others, was "to determine whether vaccination
      with a thimerosal-containing vaccine is associated with development of
      autism."

      The study, entitled the "Association Between Thimerosal-Containing
      Vaccine and Autism," is based on an analysis of a population-based
      cohort study of all children born in Denmark from January 1, 1990, until
      December 31, 1996, comparing children vaccinated with a
      thimerosal-containing vaccine with children vaccinated with a
      thimerosal-free formulation of the same vaccine. Specifically, the study
      analyzed data from a cohort of 467,450 children, some of whom received
      the thimerosal-containing pertussis (whooping cough bacterium) vaccine
      and some of whom did not. In their conclusion, the researchers stated
      that the "results do not support a causal relationship between childhood
      vaccination and thimerosal-containing vaccines and development of
      autistic-spectrum disorders."

      The ASA has reviewed the study and has provided the following
      preliminary comments: "This study is a new look at existing data in
      Denmark. Feedback from ASA constituents indicates that some
      epidemiologists are not comfortable that the conclusion drawn is
      supported by the data. The ASA believes that more focused studies on the
      U.S. population are warranted before a definitive conclusion can be
      reached about the relationship between vaccines and autism. The study
      does, however, confirm that the incidence of autism is high
      internationally as well as in the U.S., supporting our position that
      autism is now both a national and international health crisis."

      For more information about the study or to link to the full journal
      article, click here or visit the Journal of the American Medical
      Association Web site at http://jama-assn.org and do a search for the
      October 1, 2003, issue.
    • andrewhallcutler
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2003
        The correct URL for JAMA is http://jama.ama-assn.org/

        You have to pay to get the article, but can read the abstract for
        free.

        The abstract in this case says enough to conclusively prove the
        article is incompetently researched and no results in it mean
        anything.

        Why?

        While they yammer about how they compared a thimerosal containing and
        thimerosal free vaccine, what they actually compared was children
        receiving about a dozen, or a dozen plus one thimerosal containing
        vaccines. Thus the 2 groups of children received very similar
        thimerosal doses and people who use their brains for thinking would
        not expect there to be big differences in the autism rate.

        Their own statistics as shown in the abstract support this - the 95%
        confidence intervals for the occurrence rate of autism with this small
        increase in mercury exposure is 0.90-1.06, while that for autism
        related disorders is 0.98-1.09 . Since one would actually expect 5
        to 8% increase in the autism rate based on this thimerosal increase
        (one thimerosal free vaccine in the series, versus a thimerosal
        containing one plus all the others) this study is not able to
        distinguish between the null hypothesis or the hypothesis that
        thimerosal in vaccines causes autism.

        Apparently using computer programs to calculate numbers is not the
        same as understanding what they mean. Again, MD is a liberal arts
        degree. As any chemist is well aware, liberal arts majors should not
        be allowed to play with dangerous chemicals without proper
        supervision. In the case of modern medicine, it was the liberal arts
        types who got to supervise the chemicals and the autism epidemic is
        the result.

        Andy . .. . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . .

      • JPiker@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2003
          In a message dated 10/1/2003 3:04:34 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          sbernard@... writes:

          > The ASA has reviewed the study and has provided the following
          > preliminary comments: "This study is a new look at existing data in
          > Denmark. Feedback from ASA constituents indicates that some
          > epidemiologists are not comfortable that the conclusion drawn is
          > supported by the data. The ASA believes that more focused studies on the
          > U.S. population are warranted before a definitive conclusion can be
          > reached about the relationship between vaccines and autism. The study
          > does, however, confirm that the incidence of autism is high
          > internationally as well as in the U.S., supporting our position that
          > autism is now both a national and international health crisis."

          Well, HALLELUJAH! Can we now have some unity already.

          Jo Pike
          Moms on a Mission for Autism
          <A HREF="www.momsonamissionforautism.org">www.momsonamissionforautism.org</A>
          Facts For Media
          <A HREF="www.factsformedia.com">www.factsformedia.com</A>
          Autism One
          <A HREF="http://www.autismone.org">www.autismone.org</A>

          But this is what the LORD says: "Yes, captives will be taken from warriors,
          and plunder retrieved from the fierce; I will contend with those who contend
          with you, and your children I will save."
          (Isaiah 49:25, NIV)

        • debityree
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 1, 2003
            That was a clean little middle of the road statement.