Re: Question for Andy

  • andrewhallcutler
    Message 1 of 76 , Sep 11, 2002
      > Yes, thank you! So the OCD which implicates neurotransmitter
      dysregulation
      > is probably part of the mobilization of metals coming from the rapid
      blast
      > of thiols; makes sense.

      Yes. A significant number of people get OCD from mercury tox without
      the benefit of a glutathione infusion to trigger it - it is clearly an
      effect of increased toxicity due to concentrating the metals into more
      senstive tissues rather than any direct effect of the glutathione.
      Thus, the glutathione goes away quickly but the problems it causes
      remain indefinitely.

      >In the particular case I'm concerned with, it has
      > persisted for months after the infusion, as if something got turned
      on that
      > perhaps was latent and now seems chronic. Somehow I have had the
      impression
      > that you were encouraging parents to seek a cysteine level first,
      and if it
      > was low it would be an indication for IV GSH. I am not a big fan of
      the IV
      > route myself,

      Actually I would never encourage anyone to get it. I was saying that
      normal or elevated cysteine is an absolute contraindication. I still
      don't think it is a good idea even if cysteine is low.

      >and have found that starting with oral and then if no reaction
      > adding the compounded transdermal has been very effective for most
      of the
      > kids I work with - I started working with the child in question
      after he had
      > already been given the infusion, and the OCD is challenging to
      treat. I
      > appreciate your input. I have been hesitant to even ease into oral
      or
      > transdermal after the obvious reaction to the infusion, but the fact
      remains
      > that he is low in cysteine and needs it, but I plan to start SLOWLY
      and
      > watch clinical response.

      Welll...... hopefully you will still thank me after I make it even
      more confusing and scary.

      When people get toxic enough, the balance of preventing mobilization
      versus having inadequate antioxidant reserves actually favors reduced
      mobilization and they are most healthy with LOW cysteine/glutathione.

      There are cases (one discussed recently on list) of people with
      frankly low cysteine who did not tolerate any NAC or other sulfury
      stuff.

      In these cases I think you can do a lot of good with other
      antioxidants to spare and regenerate the amount of GSH the body wants
      to keep around. Even when this isn't a problem, I think starting with
      C 4 times a day, or in juice, etc. is a really good idea.

      Ultimately with these kids the solution is to chelate them adequately,
      and of course being fairly toxic they are difficult to chelate. But
      without chelation they aren't going to get any less toxic.

      Andy .
    • Mari Lynche
      Message 76 of 76 , Mar 31, 2010
        Thanks Andy!!

        * They pulled the tooth because the permanent one was right under it and he has never had any caps or filings.  This was his first cavity ever. Unfortunately, I have a bunch of amalgams in the back of my mouth since I was probably 10 years old.
        * He was diagnosed with G6PD Deficiency after becoming very ill after being prescribed an antibiotic for an illness when he was about 1 years old. That is how I found out about the sulfur allergy.
        *   And yes I meant Super Nu Thera.  Sorry about the spelling. LOL
        * Finally, I will read the pages you suggested.  We did a hair test years ago and he had high mercury, cadmium and aluminum.