Re: Question for Andy

  • andrewhallcutler
    Message 1 of 76 , Sep 10, 2002
      > Andy: Could you give me some thoughts on why children who do test
      low on cysteine can still have a bad reaction to IV glutathione?
      Particularly any thoughts about OCD occurring in this case. Sorry if
      I missed any explanation before; I need a chemist. Thanks! Jaquelyn

      Sure. First let me note that many of these children actually will do
      just fine on it and improve. It is the ones who are normal or high in
      cysteine who are at excessive risk from iv glutathione.

      Molecular weight of cysteine: 121.16

      Molecular weight of glutathione: 307.33

      Each has one thiol group.

      Normal range of cysteine in plasma (per great smokies) 3.10-3.90 mg/dl

      Normal range of glutathione (GS again) 32-64 mg/dl

      a 60-90# kid might have a liter or two of plasma in him (10-20 dl).

      So in a normal healthy kid there might be

      31-78 mg of cysteine in the plasma, and

      320-1280 mg of glutathione in plasma.

      In terms of thiol equivalents, cysteine * ( 307.33/121.16 )
      = equivalent glutathione

      so glutathione equivalent of cysteine in normal healthy kid =
      78.6 - 198 mg

      So the normal healthy kid has more or less 400-1500 mg of glutathione
      thiol equivalent in his plasma.

      The kid who is low has less than 400. Let us say 300.

      You go inject a gram of glutathione (I believe this is typical).

      Kid started at 300. Kid now has 1,300. Unless the kid is over about
      80#, he just went from LOW total thiols and LOW individual thiols to
      HIGH total thiols.

      If it is a little kid, they might be blasted up to 2 or 3 times the
      upper normal limit in terms of total thiol equivalent. It is not my
      impression doctors adjust the glutathione dose based on body weight.

      So the issue isn't "how can this little bit of glutathione possibly
      hurt a kid who is low in it and cysteine," it is has this particular
      kid's level of toxicity gotten so high that they become seriously more
      toxic by excessive rapid mobilization of heavy metals once their total
      plasma thiol levels are blasted up from frankly low, where their body
      is keeping it, to frankly supraphysiological levels where most toxic
      people experience a worsening of symptoms over the long term due to
      excessive metal mobilization.

      Thiols and particularly glutathione are useful antioxidants.

      Thiols are heavy metal mobilizers.

      The question of whether any given individual will get better or worse
      after iv glutathione is determined by the balance for that particular
      person of mobilization damage and antioxidant amelioration.

      Toxic people have fairly significant responses to moving thiols around
      even within the relatively small normal range. Bopping them from low
      to high in a matter of minutes may well cause those with a noticeable
      response to thiol modulation to get worse.

      Is this a helpful answer?

      Andy . . . .
    • Mari Lynche
      Message 76 of 76 , Mar 31 6:31 AM
        Thanks Andy!!

        * They pulled the tooth because the permanent one was right under it and he has never had any caps or filings.  This was his first cavity ever. Unfortunately, I have a bunch of amalgams in the back of my mouth since I was probably 10 years old.
        * He was diagnosed with G6PD Deficiency after becoming very ill after being prescribed an antibiotic for an illness when he was about 1 years old. That is how I found out about the sulfur allergy.
        *   And yes I meant Super Nu Thera.  Sorry about the spelling. LOL
        * Finally, I will read the pages you suggested.  We did a hair test years ago and he had high mercury, cadmium and aluminum.