Re: dmsa provocation trial

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2001
      --- In Autism-Mercury@y..., MLBarbera@a... wrote:
      > Hi all,
      >
      > I signed off this list for a while but now am serious about
      starting
      > chelation on my 5 yo son with ASD. My DAN! MD ordered a 3-day
      provocation
      > trial of 200mg DMSA every 8 hours for my 45 pound son. I know many
      people on
      > this list strongly believe in a 4 hour schedule with lower doses of
      DMSA.
      > After the 3-days, I'm supposed to do a 24 hour urine.
      >
      > Any advice?

      Find a doc who tries to make kids better instead of following
      protocols. If the DAN! doc is open minded about this, great. If
      not, your kid will get better on appropriate treatment (and worse on
      inappropriate treatment) no matter who prescribes it.

      If there is a good reason for the challenge test, and the doc wanting
      it for diagnostic purposes is NOT a good reason, then simply split
      the dose and take 100 mg every 4 hours. Good reasons might include
      that it will convince your insurance company to cover his services.

      Since a reasonable dose is more like 25-50 mg, expect a LOT of side
      effects. Find out if there is a good reason not to use 25-50 mg.

      Andy

    • catharineb2001@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2001
        That sounds like WAY too much DMSA to me.

        We did a pre-chelation provocation test using three 100mg doses every
        8 hours, and those were by far the worst side effects he's had yet in
        many months of chelation. And this is a 50-pound kid. 50mg every four
        hours round the clock was a little rough the first couple of rounds,
        has been fine since then. Can you do your provocation test using that
        protocol first and see if you get enough mercury out to satisfy
        whomever?

        Cathy