Re: selenium & zinc as chelators?

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 2, 2001
      --- In Autism-Mercury@y..., elvira.kurti@v... wrote:

      > > Selenium binds with mercury to form a passive and very poorly
      > soluble
      > > compound. It is also used in certain enzymes, like glutathione
      > > peroxidase and the T4 to T3 conversion enzyme (thyroid hormones),
      > so
      > > mercury toxic people don't have enough for these enzymes if they
      > don't
      > > take extra.
      > >
      > > Andy
      >
      > When Selenium binds with Mercury what happens with the poorly
      soluble
      > compound? Does it get flushed out of the body or it gets deposited?

      It remains trapped in the body.

      > Does Mercury loose its toxicity in this form?

      It is less toxic as long as it is trapped, but it does eventually
      resolubilize and is then just as toxic as ever.

      >If it stays will it be
      > stabil or are there chemicals that can break the compound? Also,
      can
      > the Selenium bind with the Mercury that is in the nerve
      > tissue 'behind' the blood-brain barrier?

      Yes. In fact, autopsy data on a few dentists shows a strong
      correlation between mercury and selenium levels in the pituitary -
      apparently the body does try to passivate the stuff as well as it can.

      > Sorry if my questions sound 'stupid', I am new to this group and
      > haven't read through the information you already have.
      >
      > Elvira
    • Timothy
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 11, 2005
        Andy,

        I found a posting that you wrote in 2001. Ancient History, huh!
        So you suggest taking Selenium & Zinc Supplements? Any certain
        brands of supplements?

        -Timothy Foote

        --- In Autism-Mercury@yahoogroups.com, AndyCutler@a... wrote:
        > --- In Autism-Mercury@y..., Marty Landman <marty@f...> wrote:
        > > Andy,
        > >
        > > Thanks for the reply. Could you please be more specific about the
        > effects
        > > of selenium and zinc on mercury?
        >
        > Zinc increases the body's level of the protein metalothionein,
        which
        > stores and passivates mercury (and copper, and zinc, and other
        > things). Zinc also reduces body copper levels by hindering
        > absorption, and copper is synergistic with mercury.
        >
        > Selenium binds with mercury to form a passive and very poorly
        soluble
        > compound. It is also used in certain enzymes, like glutathione
        > peroxidase and the T4 to T3 conversion enzyme (thyroid hormones),
        so
        > mercury toxic people don't have enough for these enzymes if they
        don't
        > take extra.
        >
        > Andy
      • andrewhallcutler
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 11, 2005
          With the selenium you have to make sure it is either selenium yeast or
          selenomethionine, but there are a lot of brands of these. Most brands
          of zinc are fine.

          Andy . . . . .