Re: Absence of side effects and chelation outcome

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 14, 2001
      > >Is the absence of any side effects during chelation an indication
      > >that the person is not heavy-metal toxic or that the chelation is
      > >unlikely to work?
      > >
      > >We're following the Andy protocol and, while we're glad that we are
      > >not seeing any negative side effects with our daughter after 2
      rounds
      > >of DMSA/ALA (9 rounds of DMSA prior), we can't help but wonder if
      > >this is a sign that chelation will not work in our case?
      >

      > Here's what Dr. Amy says to expect:
      >
      > "Expect your child's behavior to get worse during the first few
      > cycles of both DMSA alone and DMSA/ALA"
      >
      > "Do not expect to see any behavioral improvements on Step 1.
      >
      > "Most common order of improvement: usually starts 2-4 months into
      > step 2 (DMSA + ALA)

      I hate to have to be so repetitive, but this is using the
      inappropriate and harmful every 8 hour protocol where you would
      reasonably expect it to do a lot of unnecessary damage in the early
      stages of chelation.

      People who use an appropriate protocol do NOT see this kind of thing -
      and Dr. Amy's patients didn't early on either because she was
      originally using the every 4 hour protocol. See multitudinous reports
      on this listserver's archives, don't take my word for it.

      Absence of side effects + absence of improvement really would make ME
      revisit the diagnostic step pretty quickly. Diagnosis is spelled out
      in my book in one of the early sections. If I thought I had a kid who
      was mercury toxic, chelated a few times and NOTHING HAPPENED, I would
      a slew of tests and nail down what is really happening. And keep
      chelating. Maybe it is mercury and this is a slow responder, but that
      is unusual.

      Do make sure to go over the Doctor's Data hair elements again
      carefully according to the counting rules (or get the test if you
      don't have it yet). Most physicians who order the test are not
      familiar with its proper interpretation.

      Andy
    • lmart96834@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 14, 2001
        Andy,

        Are you saying here, that using the four hour protocol, that we
        should not see behaviors get worse before they get better?

        We have been talking with our DAN doctor for quite some time now
        about getting started with chelation. We had to run some tests and
        resolve a few things before we could start. We are now in a position
        to get started. However, I have to say that I am extremely nervous
        about the behaviors "getting worse" as my son has just started a new
        school program, 1/2 day in a mainstream class. Negative behaviors
        (which he does not now have) could be a BIG problem in this program.

        Thanks for any help here!

        Cheryl