Re: Essential Fattys Acids/Leah and Caroline

    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 10, 2001
      > Incidentally the alkyglycerols in fish I was talking about earlier.
      Just
      > found an study showing this opens the blood brain barrier in rats to
      allow
      > cancer chemotherapy into the brain. What if the same alkylglycerol
      allowed
      > heavy metals out. That might explain some of the success shown in AS
      > kids/fatty acids studies.

      Rats already have a fairly open BBB. Mercury comes out on it's own in
      rats. That is why they make a poor experimental model of people when
      it comes to brain stuff.

      > Will look further into this.
      >
      > Gotta take a wee nap. Also brain fogging over unfortunately as I ran
      out of
      > EPA a few days ago.
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Julie
      Caroline

      > > Hi Julie,
      > >
      > > Well, it looks like you've sparked a lot of interest on this
      topic!

      > > I want to ask for more about this ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3.
      > > How would I (or anyone) know how much of each they are getting
      > > in diet? I've been adding Flax oil to my salads, I eat a fair
      > > amount of borage flowers, and, now that my hair copper is lower,
      > > I'm eating a variety of nuts and seeds more again (walnuts,
      > > almonts, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds). I don't eat any meat
      > > or fish, and eat only VERY small amounts of dairy. I'm not
      > > sure about the hydrogenated fats-- I probably eat enough prepared
      > > foods to get some of this garbage.
      > >
      > > What sort of EPA do you take?
      > > How would you suggest that I/others figure out what WE should
      take?

      > > By the way, it is nice that you are passionate, but don't feel
      > > rushed on my account--- you could answer in a week or two and that
      > > would be just fine. (Sleep is important!)
      > >
      > > Moria
      > >

      > > >Its 4 in the morning here and am bleary eyed but want to jump in
      for you
      > and
      > > >the benefit of you and others to say absolutely do NOT go off
      the Evening
      > > >Primrose. What you are missing is the other half.
      > > >
      > > >Evening Primrose is an Omega 6 essential fatty acid. This is the
      > > >anti-inflammatory sort which is why it is recommended in the
      treatment of
      > > >menopause and PMS. However you need to balance with Omega 3 and
      in
      > > >particular a component called EPA. Our present Western Diet is
      22:1 Omega
      > 6
      > > >to Omega 3. You want to completely reverse this so that you get
      1:2 Omega
      > 6
      > > >to Omega 3.
      > > >
      > > >Additionally. you have to lower the type of fatty acid which is
      > > >pro-inflammatory such as AA ( Arachidonic Acid) which is found in
      dairy
      > and
      > > >meat products. So restrict these to 3% of your daily intake
      > > >
      > > >And lastly again drop all hydrogenated fats IMMEDIATELY.
      Margarine for

      http://docs.yah
    • JerrOutram@aol.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 11, 2001
        Dear Julie,
        I'd read about Dr. Richardson's work in a newspaper over here in the UK and
        wanted to get hold of her to ask her about the exact dosage she's using with
        ASD children. I'd read that she recommended an OTC product here called IQ,
        but there was no mention of number of capsules being used in the study. Do
        you have any idea about quantities, or a phone or email address for Dr.
        Richardson?
        Thanks for any help you can give,
        Eileen, UK
      • sharon_asd@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 12, 2001
          Hi Eileen

          You could try contacting Dr.Richardson via The Dyslexia Research
          Trust, University Club, 6-8 South Parks Road, Oxford, England OX1
          3UB. They organised the Oxford Fatty Acid conference that has
          recently been mentioned on this list. I'm sure they could put you in
          touch with Alex Richardson.

          best wishes
          Sharon

        • sharon_asd@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 12, 2001
            Hi Andy,

            Thanks for the straight talking on this theory. My own searching has
            come to the same conclusion. We re-start the EPA rich fish oil
            tomorrow.

            Sharon

            > --- In Autism-Mercury@y..., sharon_asd@h... wrote:
            > > Hi Julie and everyone
            > >
            > > I haven't posted here before so a quick introduction. I'm in the
            UK

          • Altamesa1@aol.com
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 9, 2002
            • Altamesa1@aol.com
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 9, 2002
                I read with great interest the recent thread on EFAs, however, I'm not sure
                which route to go. My son is 9 years old and we are chelating. He is
                currently taking Kirkman's cod liver oil (3 gel caps per day). I would like
                to start him on other EFA(s) but am not sure which one. I am looking at
                Kirkman's Pro-EPA Omega 3, Pro-EFA Omega 3/6/9 & Borage Oil, and Pro-DHA
                Omega 3. I'm not sure which one to go with. Any recommendations? I am very
                grateful for any guidance anyone can give me.

                Mickey
              • andrewhallcutler
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 11, 2002
                  --- In Autism-Mercury@y..., Altamesa1@a... wrote:
                  > I read with great interest the recent thread on EFAs, however, I'm
                  not sure
                  > which route to go. My son is 9 years old and we are chelating. He
                  is
                  > currently taking Kirkman's cod liver oil (3 gel caps per day). I
                  would like
                  > to start him on other EFA(s) but am not sure which one. I am
                  looking at
                  > Kirkman's Pro-EPA Omega 3, Pro-EFA Omega 3/6/9 & Borage Oil, and
                  Pro-DHA
                  > Omega 3. I'm not sure which one to go with. Any recommendations?

                  2 tbsp flax seed oil per day, in food, but don't cook with it... . ..

                  I am very
                  > grateful for any guidance anyone can give me.

                • Scott Sandford
                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 16, 2002
                    I don't pretend to be an expert in EFAs...however, here's what I know so
                    far.

                    FSO is important. Evening Primrose is also important. Both of these are
                    important for proper EFA-Detoxification pathway functioning.

                    However, studies that are currently on-going in the UK suggest that a marine
                    fish oil EFA higher in EPA than DHA (usually 3:1 or higher) are the EFAs
                    that are most effectively absorbed for use in the brain (as the brain is
                    about 20% dry weight in these oils). Only about 5% of the parent EFAs (EPO
                    and FSO) are metabolized to EPA or DHA for use in the brain.

                    So they are all important, but the target for their use may have a bearing
                    on which one you take....or take them all ;-)

                    scott sandford

                  • tinalunabean
                    Message 9 of 24 , Nov 15, 2003
                      Hello all. We are ready to add EFA's into our boys supplements. I
                      know it will trial and error as far as Omega 3,6 & 9's. I don't
                      recall a dosage. How much, how often, etc. Thanks in advance. Tina B
                    • Martha Adams
                      Message 10 of 24 , Nov 15, 2003
                        I am also about to add essential fatty acids to my kids diet. My son is 7 with ADHD, DSI, and probably CAPD. My daughter is 4.5 and thus far NT. However, I am a bit confused as to the difference between flax oil, cod liver oil, and fish oil as to which of the 3 I should use and if any particular distributer is better/worse then any other?

                        Also can flax oil be used in recipies for muffins or other baked goods - or will the heat of cooking decompose the structure of the good acids?

                        Martha

                        tinalunabean <lolabryn@...> wrote:
                        Hello all. We are ready to add EFA's into our boys supplements. I
                        know it will trial and error as far as Omega 3,6 & 9's. I don't
                        recall a dosage. How much, how often, etc. Thanks in advance. Tina B

                      • jules ferris
                        Message 11 of 24 , Nov 15, 2003
                          Don't heat flax oil, in fact you should keep it in the fridge and it
                          goes bad in about 2 weeks. My naturopath says fish oil is a better
                          supp than flax oil because it takes less enzymes to absorb.

                          Julie

                          --

                          Health * Peace * Love * 4Ever

                          @..@
                          (----)
                          ( >__< ) Ribbit
                        • xokisstherain
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jun 18, 2013
                            Sorry I'm pretty slow.
                            So what exactly is the take home message here?
                            The DAN prescribed my brother Nordic Naturals ProEFA Liquid.
                            Is there a better fish oil he can be taking?

                            --- In Autism-Mercury@yahoogroups.com, snickol@... wrote:

                            > Last year at the DAN conference, Dr. Shattock told me that you should
                            > first start with evening primrose oil and then introduce omega 3's. I
                            > can't remember if he said to give it for 3 months or 3 weeks first.
                            > Maybe someone else can clarify.
                            > Stephanie
                            > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                            > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

                          • lindajaytee
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jun 19, 2013
                              --- In Autism-Mercury@yahoogroups.com, "xokisstherain" <xokisstherain@...> wrote:

                              > Sorry I'm pretty slow.
                              > So what exactly is the take home message here?
                              > The DAN prescribed my brother Nordic Naturals ProEFA Liquid.
                              > Is there a better fish oil he can be taking?

                              That one is fine. It contains GLA, so there is no need for evening primrose oil

                              Linda J