Why is flax seed oil suggested?

  • apjj09@cs.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2001
      Andy,

      I see that you suggest flax seed oil as one of the supplements to
      give if one is chelating. Why flax seed oil and not any of the other
      essential fatty acid supplements ie. fish oil, borage oil,cod liver
      oil?

      The information you share is appreciated.

      thank you
      Pam
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2001
        --- In Autism-Mercury@y..., apjj09@c... wrote:
        > Andy,
        >
        > I see that you suggest flax seed oil as one of the supplements to
        > give if one is chelating. Why flax seed oil and not any of the
        other
        > essential fatty acid supplements ie. fish oil, borage oil,cod liver
        > oil?

        Borage oil is omega 6, you need omega 3.

        Fish is omega 3, but is expensive compoared to flax, and you should
        use a LOT (an adult should take 30-90 capsules a day, which is more
        fish oil than you want to afford).

        > The information you share is appreciated.
        >
        > thank you

      • Peter
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 6, 2001
          I have a question for the group about flax oil. In his book on the Zone Diet Barry Sears talks about flax oil in a negative way.
          Here is what he suggests;
          To convert linoleic acid into gamma linolenic (GLA) you need a vital enzyme called delta 6 desaturase. He stresses the importance of getting an adequate amount of GLA from the diet. He goes on to say that children aged 0 to 6 months and adults older than 30 can't make GLA and therefore its critical to supplement. Breast milk has GLA to compensate for infants that are breast feed.

          He suggests that high carb diets decrease the natural production of GLA. High levels of carbohydrates in the blood stream will slow the delta 6 desaturase activity and decrease GLA production. Then he says and this is the critical bit that excessive consumption of ALA *alpha linolenic acid* will slow down and decrease the production of Delta 6 Desaturase and hence GLA. ALA is an omega 3 fatty acid that's found in high quantities in Flax Oil. Therefore, in this authors opinion, flax oil is not good for you because it decreases the production of GLA.

          Can others comment on this, it really has me wondering, I take lots of flax oil and now wonder is it the right thing to do ?

          Regards
          Peter Stidolph.
          > I see that you suggest flax seed oil as one of the supplements to
          > give if one is chelating. Why flax seed oil and not any of the
          other
          > essential fatty acid supplements ie. fish oil, borage oil,cod liver
          > oil?

          Borage oil is omega 6, you need omega 3.

          Fish is omega 3, but is expensive compoared to flax, and you should
          use a LOT (an adult should take 30-90 capsules a day, which is more
          fish oil than you want to afford).

          > The information you share is appreciated.
          >
          > thank you

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Answers to common questions:

        • kc62765@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 7, 2001
            Peter
            I remember reading about delta 6 desaturase. I posted an abstract once
            that said certain folks, especially those with diabetes might not convert
            this. Trying to remember if eczema is also associated with the inability to
            convert. You can directly get your GLA through primrose, borage and hemp
            .. This way you are insured your getting GLA.
            kelly