Re: [Autism-Mercury] Re: AIT versus The Listening Program

  • Nomoremetals@aol.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 1, 2001
      My son has used The Listening Program and Samonas with good results. Both
      are home programs you purchase and can repeat at home as often as you like
      without added expense. He did Samonas first (runs about $50 a disc or about
      $600 for a full protocol -- I think this was developed by Ingo Steinbach).
      It helped tremendously in reducing sound sensativity and boosting auditory
      processing. After two 5-month rounds of Samonas, he moved to The Listening
      Program, which was developed by Advanced Brain Technologies & The National
      Academy of Child Development -- runs about $500 for people who are not doing
      NACD programs. This seemed to have much more effect on auditory processing
      and communication. The Speech & Language CD they've recently added was the
      closest thing to a talking pill I've ever found. This disc hits all of the
      tones used in human language. Every time he listens to that we see a huge
      boost in his conversation. He's done several rounds of these now and seems
      to benefit well each time. However, the progress does seem to fade a little
      if we give him several months between rounds. We tried the Ease disc years
      ago but he refused to listen to it. Since I'll be going through training to
      use the new Digital Auditory Aerobics Berrard AIT equipment with a school I
      do some work with, I'm considering trying AIT on my son as well. I'll let
      you know how it compares once he does it. I do know several people who have
      done all three therapies. They did AIT first then Samonas or TLP when the
      AIT lost effectiveness, which seemed to work well.

      AIT clearly has the most research backing it. However, I know of many people
      who seemed to be helped at first but later the treatment wore off --
      sometimes very quickly -- not cool for a $1500-2000 a pop treatment. Most of
      those I know who lost effectiveness fairly quickly had physical things going
      on that threw it off which is why we opted for the other methods while
      healing my son from the metals tox. In comparing it to the others, AIT's
      music is much less pleasant to listen to -- kind of whacked out, scratchy
      rock music compared to nice classical music and nature sounds. Listening to
      AIT music for a few minutes one time made me sick at my stomach and gave me a
      headache for days. I was told this indicated I needed it. I did not find
      the same negative feelings with Samonas when I listened to it and the program
      helped my sound sensativities. If I had a child who didn't wear headphones
      easily or was extremely sensative, I'd ease into headphones and listening
      with one of the other programs. AIT also seems a bit less stable since you
      have to avoid listening to things with headphones or wearing ear plugs after
      the treatment which you don't with the other two.

      Laurie Riggs, one of the developers of The Listening Program and our protocol
      designer for Samonas, also used AIT with children prior to the other two
      programs. She told me that she believes AIT can be too harsh for some of the
      children, especially if you don't use the filters, and that the other two
      programs are more gentler and longer lasting because they ease the person in
      to listening more slowly. TLP is an 8-week program and Samonas can be as
      long as 6 months, depending on the protocol. When Annabella Stehli spoke
      here recently, she also stressed the importance of filters, even though most
      therapists don't use these since it's hard to get lower-functioning kiddos to
      cooperate in doing the audio test that sets the filters.
      Gaylen

    • Maria & Jack Rawlings
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 1, 2001
        Hi Gaylen,
        Could you please let me know where I would purchase these listening tapes?
        Thank You, Maria R
      • The Kramer Family
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 1, 2001
          Gaylen, your Listening Program fits in where? And can you give us a link? I couldn't find info on this program the
          time I looked at the link you provided earlier.

          | Can anyone tell me of a good reference to understand what is going on
          | with these audio therapies? They obviously seem to make a difference
          | but I don't understand how or why they would work. I'm trying to
          | read Tomatis's book right now, but it is not making much sense yet.
          | Perhaps some one can recommend a book or on-line discussion group?

          Paul Madaule's "When Listening Comes Alive" (1994) is very good. Paul does Tomatis therapy. His book goes into some
          detail on why the underresponsive ear inhibits auditory processing and attention. Steinbach wrote "SAMONAS Sound
          Therapy" (1997) and Tomatis wrote "The Ear and Language" (1996), but I haven't read those.

          Madaule's book was recommended by Sheila Frick (Listening Therapy). (www.samonas.net) . Sheila's therapy uses SAMONAS
          discs developed by Ingo Steinbach in combination with SI therapy. Ingo is a perfectionist. His CDs are recorded in
          cathedrals and other locations where the spatial characteristics of the music are retained. The instruments are of top
          quality to retain full tonality. You can't get anywhere near his quality using standard CDs. Maybe you would get EASE
          disc-like results?
          See http://www.he.net/~altonweb/cs/downsyndrome/index.htm?page=samonas.html for SAMONAS info.

          Tomatis (mid 1900s) used filtered sounds to 'charge' the brain. Then Berard, who studied under Tomatis, developed AIT.
          Stehli wrote "The Sound of a Miracle" (1990) which described her daughter's AIT benefits and which popularized AIT.
          These methods use electronic filters to modify the music and sounds according to the patient's needs. Bill Mueller
          developed the EASE disc, which has filtered music on the CD. See www.vision-audio.com . This is considered to be less
          intense, generic therapy. Ingo Steinbach's SAMONAS discs combine Tomatis type sound modifications, using his updated
          filtering machine, with spatial characteristics and full tonality. These therapies promote right ear dominance by
          making the right channel a little louder. SONAS and SAMONAS discs have different levels of "spectral activation" and
          filtering, so their use can be customized somewhat. Shelia Frick combined SAMONAS CDs with Sensory Integration Therapy
          (Jean Ayers) to optimize the therapeutic effects of both. Other auditory therapies available on computers are Earobics
          software, and through therapists, FastForWord.

          I can't find my notes from the talk by Sheila Frick I attended, but just from memory they think that flaccid ear muscles
          are responsible for poor listening (not hearing) and poor muscle tone and coordination. The high frequencies in these
          therapies exercise the ear muscles to improve their tone and responsiveness and thereby improve many processing areas,
          both physical and language-related. They blame ear infections for much of this.

          It's quite a subject!

          Mary K.
        • Nomoremetals@aol.com
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 1, 2001
            In a message dated 11/1/01 7:48:44 AM Central Standard Time,
            jamaraw@... writes:

            > Could you please let me know where I would purchase these listening tapes?

            You can get The Listening Program from Advanced Brain Technologies
            www.advancedbrain.com -- their site has a listing of professionals who can
            guide your home use of it. You can order the Samonas directly from Steinbach
            (I thinkI'm spelling it right) but I'd highly recommend that you don't do it
            without an experienced person to write your protocol. Kay Ness, who has
            posted to this list in the past, has experience writing protocols for Samonas
            and would probably be a good person to contact about it. Her e-mail is
            kyness@...

            By the way, you can do Samonas without headphones for kids who are highly
            tactile sensative or not cooperative but the listening periods are much
            longer.
            Gaylen

          • Nomoremetals@aol.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 1, 2001
              In a message dated 11/1/01 2:52:20 PM Central Standard Time,
              nmkramer@... writes:

              > Gaylen, your Listening Program fits in where?

              huh? not sure what you're asking here? The Listening Program is an auditory
              training program that's supposed to work like AIT only be longer-lasting and
              easier on sensative kids, according to the developers.

              <And can you give us a link?>

              www.advancedbrain.com has a list of folks trained in TLP listed by state. I
              think you can purchase the program through their site too.
              Gaylen