Re: melatonin

    Message 1 of 85 , Oct 28, 2001
      --- In Autism-Mercury@y..., nelsoneyes@c... wrote:
      > I have also heard about melatonin giving autistic people nightmares.
      My
      > daughter can't, of course, tell me about it, but it would be
      interesting to
      > hear more feedback from others. I do feel uncomfortable giving her
      the
      > melatonin, since it is a hormone and not really appropriate to give
      children
      > (even the people at the hfs said not to), but Dr. Holmes feels its
      OK. It
      > also helps her sleep, except during a full moon, when she always
      wakes up at
      > about 3:00 a.m. (mavbe because it's so bright?).

      The hormones you have to avoid with children are the sex hormones, and
      you don't want to use LOTS of glucocorticiods because they eventually
      stunt growth. They need the other hormones as much as adults. Lots
      of kids do very well on melatonin - Sheldon is one of them and it has
      been a miracle for him. He's been getting it for almost 2 years now.

      Andy

    • Amy W. Osborne
      Message 85 of 85 , Jan 27, 2008
        Hi Lisa,
        This is what I was using too, I got it from
        Vitacost.com. It is not GF. The malt coloring
        contains wheat (it says so right on the bottle). But,
        it is ok for us. Just thought I'd put that out there
        in case anyone needs to know.
        Amy O

        --- "l.largey" <l.largey@...> wrote:

        > Just wanted to share. I have been using Natrol
        > melatonin for my 20/m
        > son I found at my local health food store for $7.00.
        > I love it. I only
        > seem to need 1/4 to 1/2 mg and he sleeps great. The
        > pills I had bought
        > before trying this didn't work as well. I saw on
        > vitamin shoppe's
        > websight its on sale for 3.43. 4 droppers ( half way
        > ) is 1 mg. It has
        > lasted quite a while for me though. Check
        > ingredients to make sure they
        > are ok for your child first. Does have small amount
        > of alcohol.

        Be a better friend, newshound, and