Re: Andy: DMSA/ALA Dosage

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 26, 2001
      --- In Autism-Mercury@y..., mgen27@e... wrote:
      > Andy,
      >
      > My child is 6, weighs 62 lbs. In DMSA, I have 50mg and 25mg
      capsules
      > on hand. In ALA, I have 25mg capsules. I will be chelating with
      > DMSA/ALA every 3 hours, day and night.
      >
      > Which is better, DMSA 50mg + ALA 25mg, or DMSA 25mg and ALA 25mg?

      I don't know. I'd try 25 and 25 to start, and lower it if the side
      effects are too much. Sheldon is about that size and he does 25 and
      12.5 because at 25 and 25 he went too wild.

      > I could also give her DMSA 25mg and pour out about half of the ALA
      > capsule. This method may not result in an axact amount each time,
      > though.

      It is close enough.

      > My daughter did very well on DMSA 50mg, q4, 3/4, 9 rounds, if
      that's
      > an indication of anything. Strict supplement protocol, per your
      > recommendations.
      >
      > You said in one of your posts that there is a greater probability
      of
      > side effects on DMSA/ALA than on DMSA alone. How would parents
      know
      > if the side effects are "normal" and transient or if the dosage
      needs
      > to be adjusted or that something else is wrong?

      If the negative effects last more than one day after you stop the
      chelators, it is too much. Otherwise it is too much if you think the
      kid is suffering too much, or if the kid is so wild that YOU are
      suffering too much.