Re: Some questions....

    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 12, 2001
      --- In Autism-Mercury@y..., catharineb2001@y... wrote:
      > Hi Cally,
      >
      > These are smart questions. Hope I can help a little.
      >
      > > My daughter is needing to have a minor surgical procedure done (
      > cyst
      > > removal). This will need to be done under general anesthesia.
      > Would
      > > this be a dangerous thing to do during chelation?

      Yes, because the hospital is not about to administer the chelation
      medication on an every 3-4 hour schedule, even if they do it at all.

      > I don't know about dangerous, but I would postpone starting
      chelation
      > until the surgery is well over. I say this because surgery is always
      > anxiety-producing, especially for a child, and chelation is anxiety-
      > producing too, just because the world starts getting bigger so
      > fast "out from under" the child. For example, after four rounds my
      > son suddenly noticed that the platform on the play structure at the
      > park was perforated, and he could see through it to the ground; he
      > got upset and had to crawl across it instead of walking for the next
      > few times. Of course the play structure was always the same; his
      > awareness was what was changing, but I can only imagine how
      > disconcerting it would be to undergo a steady stream of those
      > experiences of newness in familiar places. Good thing kids are
      tough.
      > Putting it another way, with benefit of hindsight I now wish I could
      > take back the months I delayed because I just dreaded taking him in
      > for bloodwork; I'm not sorry about the month we waited because we
      > moved.
      >
      > > Also, my daughter takes a microdose (1.25 mg) of Paxil each day.
      > > Would that be a problem?

      No.

      > Don't know, can't help.
      >
      > > I know chelation does not come without risks. What are the major
      > > risks, and how often do bad effects occur?

      The major risk is getting talked into chelating improperly by some MD.
      This occurs quite often and the children regress (permanently, if you
      don't go back to chelating properly).

      Other less common problems are as follows:

      Increased allergy due to ALA, allergy or other problems due to DMSA,
      and rarely increased susceptibility due to all the neutrophils being
      killed off by DMSA (this only happens in a small number of people)
      which can be quite dangerous if not caught before they are all gone.
      This is a much greater hazard on high than low dose protocols because
      they go away a lot faster at higher doses.

      There are also side effects, like flushing, spaciness, sometimes a
      runny nose, mild increase in symptoms during chelation, being cranky
      the day after.

      > I'm not well qualified to speak to that either; we haven't had
      > significant bad effects. My sense is that if you are scrupulous
      about
      > four-hour dosing, and keep your dosage low (1mg of DMSA per pound of
      > kid per dose), that lets out most of the adverse effects that most
      > people here write about.

      Yup.

      > > Lastly, how costly is this process? I've not seen any information
      > on
      > > it and want to have an idea of how to budget for it.

      Doctor's services and lab tests are the expensive part. Supplements
      can be several thousand dollars per year, but 1,000 is a more
      reasonable estimate if you are sensible about it and have a small
      child.

      Chelating agents cost at most a few hundred per year if you buy them
      over the counter.

      > The worst aspect of this is, you will probably have to pay for
      almost
      > everything upfront, and seek reimbursement from various sources, so
      > you do need a working pool of cash.
      >
      > The doctor's fees, you have to ask your doctor, and your insurance
      > company if you have one. I think our doctor charged us $350 to start
      > and $50 a month ongoing for case management, which is extremely
      > reasonable given her thoroughness and accessibility.

      Yes it is. Please let everyone else near you know about her so she
      keeps busy!

      > The trick to
      > getting insurance to pay is getting the correct diagnostic code from
      > the doctor; I believe Andy recently posted on lo this very subject.
      >
      > The Doctors' Data lab tests do add up; we have Blue Cross insurance
      > and they pay at least part of almost everything except the hair
      > tests. Hair tests you're on your own, but they're only $42 a throw.
      >
      > I just paid $120 for a bottle of 100 50mg DMSA capsules, by
      > prescription from a compounding pharmacy; again they refuse to bill
      > insurance but I can send in the receipt for reimbursement.

      If insurance won't cover it, you can get it cheaper OTC.

    • ana brushingham
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 13, 2001
        Does anyone know if DMSA will lower amonia levels.

        === message truncated ===

        =====
        Always

        Ana Brushingham

        http://personals.yahoo.com
      • ana brushingham
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 13, 2001
          There is a product called FOCUS FACTOR. I heard very
          good things, but when I read the ingredients, it
          listed copper! WE have been using Zinc to chelate
          copper and now plan to start ALA and DMSA. Is this a
          problem if we use this product?

          === message truncated ===

          =====
          Always

          Ana Brushingham

          http://personals.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 15, 2001
            --- In Autism-Mercury@y..., ana brushingham <Brushingham@Y...> wrote:
            > There is a product called FOCUS FACTOR. I heard very
            > good things, but when I read the ingredients, it
            > listed copper! WE have been using Zinc to chelate
            > copper and now plan to start ALA and DMSA. Is this a
            > problem if we use this product?

            Probably. Mercury toxic people should get no more than 5 mcg of
            copper per pound of person from all sources - and the diet contains
            some.

            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 15, 2001
              --- In Autism-Mercury@y..., ana brushingham <Brushingham@Y...> wrote:
              > Does anyone know if DMSA will lower amonia levels.

              I do not believe it will do so directly, but the elevated ammonia may
              be due to toxins it can remove.

              Andy
            • The La Rue Family
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 15, 2001
                Tried it, I asked when I called in about the ingredients, they assured my
                gf/cf and corn free......guess what, it has corn. If corn isn't a problem for
                you, the copper is 400mcg per serving, zinc is 10mg. Decent ratio, but my son
                needs more zinc (doctor recommended 50mg, so I figured I would give him extra
                zinc at night with his culturelle)
                If corn isn't an issue for you, email me and I can send you what i have left.
                I have a little more than half left (37 out of 60)
                These are the children's chewable wafers, and they consider 4 a serving (I
                figured 1, 4 times a day)
                My older son takes the adult version, unfortunately not regularly enough to
                know if it helps (moderate ADHD)
                My oldest won't eat the chewable wafers, they are kind of big, and the taste
                is a little better than a regular chewable, but the grainy texture really
                bothers me and my son.

                Natalie

                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 15, 2001
                  Dear Natalie

                  Thank you so much for all the info. I would like to
                  try it out because his teacher says he has hard time
                  staying on task and focusing. It is also a very
                  academic school with very high standards perhaps not
                  good for him. Anyways as for corn it is a problem but
                  he takes allergy shots for corn. Do you think it
                  works?
                  Thanks

                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 17, 2001
                    In a message dated 10/13/2001 8:45:13 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
                    Brushingham@... writes:

                    > If any of the above leave you with significant
                    > > unreimbursed
                    > > expenses,
                    > > > go straight to Regional Center and apply for them
                    > > to reimburse you.
                    > > > Regional Center is the legal "payor of last
                    > > resort" for almost ANY
                    > > > needed care related to a qualifying disability,
                    > > and doctor's orders
                    > > > are pretty succinct proof of need. This is
                    > > slightly OT, but my rule
                    > > > of thumb in dealing with RC on all matters, is to
                    > > be relentlessly
                    > > > calm and polite but make the bureaucracy and the
                    > > paper trail your
                    > > > friends. Take notes of every phone call. If anyone
                    > > says no to
                    > > > anything, immediately ask for a letter confirming
                    > > who is denying
                    > > your
                    > > > request and for what reason; if you don't get that
                    > > letter promptly,
                    > > > YOU write a letter to the person and his/her
                    > > supervisor documenting
                    > > > and reiterating the request, supporting materials
                    > > on which it was
                    > > > based, date of the conversation, verbal refusal,
                    > > your request for
                    > > > confirmation, their failure to respond. That
                    > > should light the fire
                    > > > under 'em.
                    > >
                    > === message truncated ===
                    >

                    > =====
                    > Always
                    >
                    > Ana Brushingham

                  • ana brushingham
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 18, 2001
                      I am confused. I wrote a message about amonia levels
                      yesterday and now it is saying something else on
                      another subject(about reimbursement) that I did not
                      write. It is saying I said that. Whats going on?
                      --- Dwpittard@... wrote:
                      > Daylight Time,
                      > Brushingham@... writes:
                      >

                      > > If any of the above leave you with significant
                      > > > unreimbursed
                      > > > expenses,
                      > them
                      > > > to reimburse you.
                      > > > resort" for almost ANY
                      > disability,
                      > > > and doctor's orders
                      > > > slightly OT, but my rule
                      > > > be relentlessly
                      > the
                      > > > paper trail your
                      > anyone
                      > > > says no to
                      > confirming
                      > > > who is denying
                      > > > your
                      > that
                      > > > letter promptly,
                      > > > supervisor documenting
                      > materials
                      > > > on which it was
                      > refusal,
                      > > > your request for
                      > > > should light the fire
                      > > >
                      > > === message truncated ===
                      > >

                      > > =====
                      > > Always
                      > >
                      > > Ana Brushingham

                      > removed]

                      =====
                      Always

                      Ana Brushingham

                      http://personals.yahoo.com
                    • Moria Merriweather
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 21, 2001
                        Dear Ana,

                        I'm respinding to your note (entire text below) asking what you
                        APPEAR to be quoted as saying something you didn't say.

                        Let's see if I can help.

                        The general answer is:
                        1. who said what gets very hard to decipher in on-going threads
                        (conversations).
                        2. many people use "mail reader" programs which stick various forms of
                        "you wrote" or "Brushingham@... writes:" or the like into REPLIES
                        automatically.
                        3. In an on-going conversation, it can easily occur that a number
                        of people are "quoted" about things they said eariler on.
                        4. it takes some effort to keep such things clear at all.

                        The specific answer is:
                        A. in post number 33372 you wrote a very short one line question about
                        DMSA and amonia. Go look at this post in the archive. Notice that it
                        has a whole slew of other material below your question. The "whole
                        slew of stuff" includes the part that later appeared to be attributed
                        to you. In other words, this text IS in your post, post 33372.
                        My guess (and I'm guessing) is that you were reading a prior post
                        and selected the link "REPLY". This feature (on yahoo's site),
                        just like many mail readers, will qoute the prior text. Note
                        that the quoted text (below---the whole slew of stuff) is not about
                        amonia (still in post 33372).
                        B. Just to possibly further throw you off-track, you also LATER
                        wrote another post asking about amonia, number 33585
                        C. Then there is post 33590 (the one that quoted you as saying some of
                        the slew of stuff attached to 33372). In this post, Dwipittard
                        apparently replied to 33372, and (presumably) deleted the 1-line
                        question about amonia, and (presumably) deleted most of the slew
                        of text below, and left the part that is still there in post 33590.
                        The confusing part to me is that Dwpittard doesn't comment on this
                        text. (This happens too from time to time. I usually assume it
                        is "a mistake". It is easy to do.) Notice that the text (the
                        part you DIDN'T say) has more than one ">" in front of it.
                        This also indicates it is from an "earlier" post.

                        best,
                        Moria

                        === MESSAGE I'M RESPONDING TO (From Ana Brushingham), UNALTERED (except for
                        the
                        ">"'s which are added by my mail reader): ===

                      • EveF
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 20, 2011
                          Where are you getting glutithione? Some one posted they found them in capules. I have only seen the lotion.