Re: Starting Chelation

    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 12, 2001
      --- In Autism-Mercury@y..., "Karin & Tim Schuetze" <schuetze@a...>
      wrote:
      > Hi, we will be starting the mercury chelation process soon. Are
      there any
      > medical tests that need to be done prior to starting this process?

      No. It is a good idea to have a reasonable diagnosis, which may
      require some testing.

      > I had
      > heard or read somewhere that your child's gut should be in fairly
      good
      > condition before you start this. Is that true?

      No.

      >If so, we may be waiting
      > around for years to start this and I think that the mercury could be
      his
      > main underlying problem.

      That's why you don't wait.

      >Is the best protocol to use the one that was
      > approved by the Autism Research Insitutute last Spring?

      Not if you actually want him to get well. The every 3-4 hour DMSA +
      ALA protocol works far better and is described all over this list and
      also in my book Amalagam Illness: Diangosis and Treatment, which is
      described at http://hometown.aol.com/noamalgam.

      >Also, are there any
      > major negative side effects to watch out for?

      Getting worse if you use the ARI protocol. If you use the 3-4 hour
      one you do need to watch for anything funny, but it is OK for most.
      If something funny happens, you modify the protocol to address it.

      One of the things that some testing helps with is deciding if more or
      LESS sulfury foods and supplements is appropriate.

      >He's really had a tough year
      > physically with off/on extreme food sensitivities and allergies (we
      recently
      > started giving him allergy shots using the
      provacation/neutralization
      > technique). I hate to start something that will make him feel real
      sick
      > again...

      If you chelate properly it shouldn't happen.

      >but on the other hand maybe the mercury is the main reason he's
      > been feeling bad. Than
    • Moria Merriweather
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 13, 2001
        >Hi, we will be starting the mercury chelation process soon. Are there any
        >medical tests that need to be done prior to starting this process? I had
        >heard or read somewhere that your child's gut should be in fairly good
        >condition before you start this. Is that true? If so, we may be waiting
        >around for years to start this and I think that the mercury could be his
        >main underlying problem.

        I see you have a good idea of the tradeoff here.
        You may need to get good at treating the gut issues. Many people believe
        that chelation increases yeast, for example. So, keep chelating
        and keep treating yeast, and try to judge when the gut issues are
        causing discomfort such that you should stop for a bit. But, you
        still have to go on. As I said in another post this morning,
        I go by how I feel (easier to judge since I'm chelating mySELF.)
        IF he is really uncomfortable, AND IF you can treat the issue better
        by holding off FOR A BIT, good. But you can't hold off forever.
        Chelation takes a long time, so we must keep at it, and accumulate
        all the "rounds". And do whatever you can to treat the issues
        WHILE chelating (this applies to any kind of discomforts).

        I'd guess you will get to revisit this issue, and consider it some
        more. Since chelation is a long process, there are lots of parts that
        are considered and reconsidered over time. But many issues will
        get easier to consider once you start-- you have more data to go on.

        I believe that many docs do liver function tests before starting.
        I don't know one way or another whether this is really necessary.
        Milk thistle (recommended while chelating) is good for the liver.
        Chelation is somewhat stressful for liver (and, I assume for
        other parts of the body, esp all detox systems.) I assume that
        there are individual cases where chelation could be a more
        serious risk, (for example someone with a serious liver disease),
        but this is speculation on my part.

        Moria
      • wyattsmommyk
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 30, 2006
          O.k. so my sons hair metals were sky high, I think we have decided to
          tey chelation. Wondering if after the supps are in place then just go
          ahead? I do not have a doc to guide us so I have a few more questions.
          should i also be giving a multi mineral supp while chelating? Also I
          have decided to go with transdermal ALA and DMSA can anyone tell me
          where to buy these products? Thanks for any help!! Kari
        • Pamela Leigh
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 30, 2006
            You'll need a prescription for TD-DMSA.

            Pamela

            "Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless
            you're scared."

            Eddie Rickenbacker, top US fighter ace, WWI

            _____

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 30, 2006
              Don't start with ALA, do DMSA for a while first, then add ALA.

              Lila
              --
              Giving mercury to children on purpose is stupid.

            • pominvillek
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 31, 2010
                I am hoping to start chelation this weekend. I wanted to know if most of you supplement your minerals seperatly or do you have a product that you use to cover all your minerals?
              • billymadison303
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 31, 2010
                  Separately

                  --- In Autism-Mercury@yahoogroups.com, "pominvillek" <pominvillek@...> wrote:

                  > I am hoping to start chelation this weekend. I wanted to know if most of you supplement your minerals seperatly or do you have a product that you use to cover all your minerals?

                • hirvrinc
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 5, 2012
                    I'm in the process of getting set up to chelate my youngest daughter, and I have a couple of questions:

                    1. Can anyone comment on the best method for administering supplements to a 17th month old child? I know I can give with foods during the day, but has anyone had success getting a child this young to take supplements by mouth at night? (I would prefer transdermal, but I'm a little concerned about the ability to provide consistent dosing via transdermal delivery.)

                    2. What do people use for Mg and Zn supplementation in small children that cannot handle pills. Powder/liquid. Any brand recommendations?

                    3. How do you get a child to take something like Selenium, which tastes terrible?

                    Thanks!
                  • mbrookh
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 5, 2012
                      We've used the Water Oz products from http://www.nutritiongeeks.com/ A friend swears by them but I don't use them as a stand alone product. I do use them when I prepare foods - soups, dressings, gravy etc and find them tasteless. Mary