Re: What DMPS protocol should be

    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 5, 2001
      --- In Autism-Mercury@y..., Ping Li <Li_Ping@c...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I have posted this mail before. I beg the answer again.
      >
      > Ping
      > ---------------------- Forwarded by Ping Li/0F/Caterpillar on
      10/04/2001
      > 02:10 PM ---------------------------
      >

      > Ping Li
      > 4Oct2001 08:59 AM
      >

      > To: Autism-Mercury@y...
      > cc:
      > Subject: Re: [Autism-Mercury] What DMPS protocol should be
      (Document
      > link: Ping Li)
      > Retain Until: 11/03/2001 Retention Category: G90 - Information and
      Reports
      > Caterpillar Confidential: Green
      >
      > Thank you Moria!
      >
      > I still have to know what is the proper dosage. Andy, are you there?
      Would
      > you please answer my questions? What dosage of DMPS I should give to
      my boy
      > for every 8 hour?

      1/8 to 1/2 mg per pound of kid (if you work in kilograms, divide his
      weight by 10 and by 20 and pick a dose between those two numbers).

      >If I add ALA later, how often I should give the doses?

      The ALA must be every 3-4 hours. The DMPS can still be every 8. To
      avoid going nuts keeping track, you might simply give both ALA and
      DMPS every 3-4 hours, and can use half the original DMPS dose.

      >I am waiting for the answer to start.
      >
      > Thanks in advance,
      >
      > Ping
      >

      > Moria Merriweather <moriam@e...>
      > 4Oct2001 01:28 AM
      >
      > Please respond to Autism-Mercury@y...
      >

      > To: Autism-Mercury@y...
      > cc:
      > Subject: Re: [Autism-Mercury] What DMPS protocol should be
      > Retain Until: 11/03/2001 Retention Category: G90 - Information
      and
      > Reports
      > Caterpillar Confidential: Green
      >

      > >Dear Moria,
      > >
      > >I ordered DMPS capsules. According to your following post, I should
      give
      > my
      > >son DMPS every 8 hours, right? I though it should be same as DMSA.
      So I
      > >don't need to follow 3 or 4 hour protocol. I am planning to give my
      son
      > >12.5mg DMPS each time. Is the dosage too small? I want to clear
      what
      > >exactly DMPS protocol should be. Here DMSA has been discussed a
      lot. But
      > >I choose DMPS. Please ask Andy or anybody who is doing DMPS clear
      my mind.
      > >How I should chelate my son with DMPS. I have 12.5mg per capsule
      DMPS.

      http://docs.ya
    • lovell@icdc.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 5, 2001
        Andy, my son is a patient of Dr. Holmes. We saw her recently
        (9/10/01) and told her of our success in switching over to DMPS and
        requested that she consider prescribing it (rather than DMSA) for our
        son to complete his chelation process. She said there were NO
        studies on children whatsoever and was thus not comfortable
        considering this for use in children.
        If you could send me the source(s) for these publications so that I
        could forward it to her, I would appreciate it a great deal. DMSA
        has helped my son tremendously over the past year and a half, but the
        move to DMPS definitely took him to the next level. Please feel free
        to post on (or off) list. Dr. Holmes is a very reasonable physician
        who I am confident would gladly read the citations.
        Much appreciated!!!
        ann

        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 6, 2001
          --- In Autism-Mercury@y..., lovell@i... wrote:
          > Andy, my son is a patient of Dr. Holmes. We saw her recently
          > (9/10/01) and told her of our success in switching over to DMPS and
          > requested that she consider prescribing it (rather than DMSA) for
          our
          > son to complete his chelation process. She said there were NO
          > studies on children whatsoever and was thus not comfortable
          > considering this for use in children.
          > If you could send me the source(s) for these publications so that I
          > could forward it to her, I would appreciate it a great deal.

          She should call HeylTex and ask them to send her their "DMPS
          monograph" which reviews and cites most of the available literature.
          It is in fact excellent, and the last time I checked they were kind
          enough to send it out to interested parties free of charge.

          A compounding pharmacy may also be able and willing to get ahold of
          one of these and send it to her.

          Andy

          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 6, 2001
            > DMSA
            > has helped my son tremendously over the past year and a half, but
            the
            > move to DMPS definitely took him to the next level. Please feel
            free
            > to post on (or off) list. Dr. Holmes is a very reasonable physician
            > who I am confident would gladly read the citations.

            She definitely should read

            Am J Ind Med 1984;5(3):251-8

            Clinical observations in ethyl mercury chloride poisoning.

            Zhang J.

            Forty-one patients in the Peoples Republic of China were poisoned by
            ethyl mercury chloride, caused by the ingestion of rice that had been
            treated with the chemical. A dose-response relationship was found.
            Five months after the onset of the intoxication, the patients were
            still in poor condition. They were treated with two chelating agents,
            sodium dimercaptopropane sulfonate (DMPS) and sodium
            dimercaptosuccinate (DMS), whose effects were compared. Both agents
            were effective but DMPS was superior. Although urinary excretion is
            not the best estimate of body burden in alkyl mercury intoxication,
            during chelation therapy urinary mercury was an effective indicator
            for diagnosis and assessment of the degree of intoxication. Chelation
            therapy was diagnosis and assessment of the degree of intoxication.
            Chelation therapy was useful as long as the urinary mercury level was
            elevated.

            Some of the patients
          • CentreAv2C@Aol.com
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 14, 2001
              --- In Autism-Mercury@y..., Moria Merriweather <moriam@e...> wrote:
              > At 01:08 AM 10/4/2001 +0100, you wrote:
              > >Does anybody know if there any non-prescription sources of DMPS?
              >
              > There are no non-perscription sources that I know of, and
              > I am most definately keeping track ;) I don't believe there
              > have been any non-Rx sources mentioned on the list.
              >
              > However, wasn't there something about being able to buy
              > DMSA somewhere (outside US) without an Rx? Or am I getting
              > it mixed up with something else? I think it was something
              > Andy said, but am not sure whether about DMPS.
              >
              > Moria

              The non-prescription form of DMSA that we know of is Captomer from
              Thorne. I suppose the name came from reversing Mer-capto, but it is
              DMSA. We have used it for over a year now, and feel that it is
              working well. We pay $39.92 for 45 capsuls of 100 mg each, which is
              much less than we originally paid for prescription DMSA.

              If anyone has information on oral DMPS, prescription or non-
              prescription, I would appreciate learning about it. Our doctor has
              been very open to suggestions. If people have used both, it would be
              helpful to hear of any impressions.

              Joe Marciano
            • Moria Merriweather
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 14, 2001
                At 05:27 PM 10/14/2001 -0000, you wrote:
                >--- In Autism-Mercury@y..., Moria Merriweather <moriam@e...> wrote:
                >> At 01:08 AM 10/4/2001 +0100, you wrote:
                >> >Does anybody know if there any non-prescription sources of DMPS?
                >>
                >> There are no non-perscription sources that I know of, and
                >> I am most definately keeping track ;) I don't believe there
                >> have been any non-Rx sources mentioned on the list.
                >>
                >> However, wasn't there something about being able to buy
                >> DMSA somewhere (outside US) without an Rx? Or am I getting
                >> it mixed up with something else? I think it was something
                >> Andy said, but am not sure whether about DMPS.
                >>
                >> Moria
                >
                >The non-prescription form of DMSA that we know of is Captomer from
                >Thorne. I suppose the name came from reversing Mer-capto, but it is
                >DMSA. We have used it for over a year now, and feel that it is
                >working well. We pay $39.92 for 45 capsuls of 100 mg each, which is
                >much less than we originally paid for prescription DMSA.
                >
                >If anyone has information on oral DMPS, prescription or non-
                >prescription, I would appreciate learning about it. Our doctor has
                >been very open to suggestions. If people have used both, it would be
                >helpful to hear of any impressions.
                >
                >Joe Marciano

                Dear Joe,

                I know it a rather unfortunate mistake, but I really meant
                DMPS in the above passage. I post info on how to buy DMSA
                without an Rx (from VRP, Thorne, etc) VERY regularly.
                At least a couple times a month. I have some problems with
                words at times and with typing at times.

                regards,
                Moria

                P.S. Yes, you can use Rx DMPS for mercury chelation. So says
                Andy! It is DMPS that I know of no NON-perscription sources
                for. And I do keep track in this area.
              • Vicky Vanyo
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 15, 2001
                  I am using oral DMPS currently. I have also used DMSA and will continue
                  to do so. I found that he has slightly less negative side effects on the
                  DMPS (I give him 25mg every eight hours. He weighs about 42lbs. and he
                  is four years old). He is much more social while on the DMSA and more
                  talkative although he is talkative and social while on the DMPS. I have
                  not given him ALA with the DMPS as of yet. That is the next chelation
                  cycle. The DMPS dissolves more easily than the DMSA. It has a strong
                  sulphury smell. He has improved on the DMPS and DMSA. The best results
                  were when he was on ALA that is why I can't wait to do a few more
                  rounds. I started noticing changes after I stopped after seven chelation
                  rounds of ALA and DMSA. He has regressed a tiny amount with respect to
                  language but I think it is because I stopped ALA chelation for about
                  seven weeks. I stopped so I could introduce DMPS and see what kind of
                  reaction he would have. He had a cough that still persists but strangely
                  enough got better when we went on our second round of DMPS. The same
                  thing happened with DMSA. On the first round he became rather congested
                  and feverish and that lasted for about four weeks but when I did the
                  second round of DMSA (following Andy's protocol, of course:) he had a
                  fever on the first day and it went away and then it was smooth sailing.
                  I did notice that he sweats a lot on his head when he is on DMPS (also
                  DMSA). They both seem to be very similar. My son had high arsenic
                  reading that is why I wanted the DMPS (it does not cross the BBB like
                  ALA) to rid his body of the arsenic burden. I got my DMPS from
                  Switzerland and I paid approximately 10 dollars a pill (100mg). Vicky

                  CentreAv2C@... wrote:

                  > --- In Autism-Mercury@y..., Moria Merriweather <moriam@e...> wrote:
                  > > At 01:08 AM 10/4/2001 +0100, you wrote:
                  > > >Does anybody know if there any non-prescription sources of DMPS?
                  > >
                  > > There are no non-perscription sources that I know of, and
                  > > I am most definately keeping track ;) I don't believe there
                  > > have been any non-Rx sources mentioned on the list.
                  > >
                  > > However, wasn't there something about being able to buy
                  > > DMSA somewhere (outside US) without an Rx? Or am I getting
                  > > it mixed up with something else? I think it was something
                  > > Andy said, but am not sure whether about DMPS.
                  > >
                  > > Moria
                  >
                  > The non-prescription form of DMSA that we know of is Captomer from
                  > Thorne. I suppose the name came from reversing Mer-capto, but it is
                  > DMSA. We have used it for over a year now, and feel that it is
                  > working well. We pay $39.92 for 45 capsuls of 100 mg each, which is
                  > much less than we originally paid for prescription DMSA.
                  >
                  > If anyone has information on oral DMPS, prescription or non-
                  > prescription, I would appreciate learning about it. Our doctor has
                  > been very open to suggestions. If people have used both, it would be
                  > helpful to hear of any impressions.
                  >
                  > Joe Marciano
                  >
                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                  > [Image]

                  > Answers to common questions:

                • C.Forrest
                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 15, 2001
                    Vicky,
                    Thanks very much for the info, which was very interesting! Did you obtain
                    the DMPS via mail order from Switzerland,or in person? If mail order can
                    you post details?
                    Many thanks,
                    Celia

                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 15, 2001
                      I have a brother who lives in Switzerland. He sent it
                      to me via snail mail. Vicky

                      http://personals.yahoo.com