Re: Phenol/MSM/Sulfur questions -Andy, anyone?

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5, 2001
      > What does it mean that he
      > calms so quickly after MSM? Is he low in sulfur, which MSM provides?

      That would be my guess. Low sulfur people need lots more sulfur. Try
      more MSM and more sulfury stuff in the diet and see if there is
      further improvement.

      > Why are some kids with sulfur problems told to go on low sulfur
      diets? If
      > kids with sulfur problems need more sulfur, why the low sulfur diet?

      There are two kinds of sulfur problems.

      Some people hold onto it too well and it is too high in them. They
      need a LOW sulfur diet.

      Others don't hold onto it well enough and they are too low. They need
      a HIGH sulfur diet.

      The point is that there is no one size fits all prescription as far as
      sulfur goes - it has to be based on the specific needs of each
      individual. It is just as wrong to prescribe a low sulfur diet for
      everyone as to prescribe a high sulfur diet and lots of sulfury
      supplements for everyone.

      > Or is
      > this a completely different problem? Right now, I don't know if I
      should be
      > avoiding cauliflower and broccoli (I think those are high sulfur,
      right?)

      Yes.

      So is dairy, which creates problems for GFCF low sulfur kids.

      Eggs are also very sulfury, and beans somewhat.

      > I'm trying to avoid the plasma cysteine test if possible because we
      recently
      > drew blood and it was a totally horrific experience for my son. Is
      this the
      > only definitive test, or can accurate conclusions be drawn by other
      > observations?

      You can draw just as accurate a conclusion by observation and dietary
      experiment, but it takes a few weeks and you have to be really
      organized to do it without conf