Re: Mercury-autism Letter in EHP

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 29, 2001
      --- In Autism-Mercury@y..., KKSOKOLSKI@A... wrote:
      > I am 100% in agreement that inflammation of the gut is a major
      factor in
      > autism.

      I agree too. Directly addressing it with appropriate supplements so
      as to chelate a bit is very helpful - the chelating agents usually do
      fix the gut up pretty early on if they are used properly.

      >One concern I have with various methods of chelation is that
      some of
      > them may actually contribute to inflammation.

      I am curious why you say this?

      >Along those lines, has
      anyone
      > had any success with alternative methods of chelation?

      Alternative to what? Chelation for autism is pretty alternative to
      start with! ;-)

      I think the relevant issues here are:

      Using an appropriate chelation protcol, with reasonable (low) doses
      and adequately frequent administration. This gets rid of 90+% of
      problems.

      Beyond that, ALA does increase bile flow and bile is irritating to the
      gut. Keeping the dose to a reasonable level and eating fibery things
      will keep this under control. In theory a bit of any standard bile
      binding resin would work wonders, but I have never actually heard of
      anyone doing this.

      >I have been looking at
      > a product called Metal-Free

      I will refrain from profanity, but the large number of bogus detox
      products out there that do not contain legitimate chelating agents
      really do make a lot of people MUCH worse.

      >by Body Revolution. Does anyone have any
      > experience with this?

      Several case reports of severe worsenings when high sulfur people took
      it at the insistence of their physician.

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 29, 2001
        --- In Autism-Mercury@y..., KKSOKOLSKI@A... wrote:
        > I am 100% in agreement that inflammation of the gut is a major
        factor in
        > autism.

        I agree too. The most effective cure for this (which happens pretty
        early) is chelation. In the meantime appropriate supplements can get
        it under control. Large doses of vitamin A work pretty well, as do
        digestive enzymes.

        >One concern I have with various methods of chelation is that
        some of
        > them may actually contribute to inflammation.

        I am curious why you say this. It is one of the things that can
        happen with inappropriate chelation protocols, but isn't that common
        even with them.

        >Along those lines, has
        anyone
        > had any success with alternative methods of chelation?

        I thought chelation was pretty alternative already! ;-)

        >I have been
        looking at
        > a product called Metal-Free by Body Revolution. Does anyone have any
        > experience with this?

        It is neither a chelating agent nor a detox product. I do have
        several adult case reports of severe worsenings from it when taken by
        high sulfur people.

        > Ken Sokolski
      • Denise Kenney
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
          DJ has been chelating for 10 months now. DJ has had constipation problems
          since his DPT shot at 2 months old. All rememdies are temporary. GF/CF -
          temporary relief, secretin - temporary relief, mineral oil - temporary
          relief. DJ is now 12 and we just had an appointment with his DAN doctor.
          The last 6-8 weeks, DJ has regressed. DAN doctor feels we should do a
          colonoscopy. We have an appointment with his gastro on Thursday to see if
          he feels the same. When DJ's constipation returns, his regression does too.
          Denise