Re: testing for cooper levels

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 26, 2001
      > P.S. Is there a simplified version of the sulfur
      > problems (why the sulfur in epsom salt helps these
      > kids) i.e. explanation somewhere that nonmedical types
      > like me can decipher.

      Sulfate is fully oxidized sulfur. The reduced forms are the problem.
      Once fully oxidized, it can't be reduced again by people's metabolism.

      >Also, if cysteine is below
      > normal, then gluthanione should help?

      Yes. And any other sources of sulfur (which are cheaper). They will
      help A LOT, too. E. g. eggs, dairy, cabbage, cauliflower, NAC, etc.

      >It seems like
      > they all rely or depend on one another and I am not
      > sure of the sequence that should be in place. Maybe I
      > should have taken science or biology in college.

      Messenger. http://im.yahoo
    • Ping Li
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 26, 2001
        Dear Andy,

        I was told that it will be dangerous to do chelation if the kid's cysteine
        is high. Is it right? I didn't test my son. I would like to ask what kind
        of test I should do before I do oral DMPS or ALA? I have done stool and
        hair two weeks ago, I am waiting for the results. I really concern about
        the yeast and now cysteine becomes another issue for me. Should I test his
        cysteine level before I do chelation? If the cysteine level is high, what I
        should do?

        Thank you for any advice.

        Ping

        AndyCutler@...
        26Sep2001 12:17 PM

        Please respond to Autism-Mercury@yahoogroups.com

        To: Autism-Mercury@yahoogroups.com
        cc:
        Subject: [Autism-Mercury] Re: testing for cooper levels
        Retain Until: 10/26/2001 Retention Category: G90 - Information and
        Reports
        Caterpillar Confidential: Green

        > P.S. Is there a simplified version of the sulfur
        > problems (why the sulfur in epsom salt helps these
        > kids) i.e. explanation somewhere that nonmedical types
        > like me can decipher.

        Sulfate is fully oxidized sulfur. The reduced forms are the problem.
        Once fully oxidized, it can't be reduced again by people's metabolism.

        >Also, if cysteine is below
        > normal, then gluthanione should help?

        Yes. And any other sources of sulfur (which are cheaper). They will
        help A LOT, too. E. g. eggs, dairy, cabbage, cauliflower, NAC, etc.

        >It seems like
        > they all rely or depend on one another and I am not
        > sure of the sequence that should be in place. Maybe I
        > should have taken science or biology in college.

        Messenger. http://im.yahoo

        Answers to common questions:

      • weatherman6001@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 26, 2001
          Hi,

          I just read the response that Andy gave about testing cooper levels. We just
          had some tests run to check Rachael's liver and kidney function and cooper
          levels. This was done by a blood test that our DAN! doctor ordered. Is this
          a reliable way to determine if cooper is high???

          Mary Jane
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 29, 2001
            --- In Autism-Mercury@y..., Ping Li <Li_Ping@c...> wrote:

            > Dear Andy,
            >
            > I was told that it will be dangerous to do chelation if the kid's
            cysteine
            > is high. Is it right?

            No, this is a rather twisted misunderstanding of something I have been
            saying for a long time (and most doc's have been ignoring).

            It is harmful to feed him things like NAC or eggs if it is high, but
            these are not chelating agents.

            >I didn't test my son. I would like to ask what
            kind
            > of test I should do before I do oral DMPS or ALA?

            The test for this is PLASMA CYSTEINE through Great Smokies
            laboratories. It isn't relevant to DMPS. ALA increases it a bit so
            people who are high have more side effects.

            You may modify his diet depending on the results, but it doesn't
            affect how you chelate.

            >I have done stool
            and
            > hair two weeks ago, I am waiting for the results. I really concern
            about
            > the yeast and now cysteine becomes another issue for me. Should I
            test his
            > cysteine level before I do chelation?

            It isn't necessary for CHELATION, but knowing it may allow you to make
            him a lot more comfortable by appropriate diet modification.

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/