Re: Glutathione question

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 3, 2001
      --- In Autism-Mercury@y..., TwoTonks@a... wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I'm brand new to this group and looking forward to reading past
      > messages as time permits.
      >
      > My 4 year-old son is not autistic but has hyperactivity, aggression
      > and gut dysbiosis problems. He also never slept more than 2 straight
      > hours until two months ago and now finally sleeps 8-9 straight
      hours.
      > He alternates between constipation and very loose stool. He is
      > extremely sensitive to heat, light and has some other sensory issues
      > (he hates haircuts, cats touching him or his toys, suntan lotion,
      > loud noises, can't remain in a theatre or show for more than 30
      > minutes or so because, I suspect, he is overstimulated).We suspect
      he
      > is hypoglycemic. For what it's worth, he's extremely intelligent,
      > very advanced verbally, has in incredible memory, is above par with
      > small and large muscle skills and (I still can't figure out this
      one)
      > taught himself to read.
      >
      > We are talking about chelation now with our DAN, who suggests
      > challenging with DMSA and not doing a hair analysis. I read so much
      > about the usefulness of hair analysis, yet my doctor states that
      > since my son hasn't had exposure to mercury in several years, the
      > hair analysis wouldn't be accurate.

      This is just because the DAN! doctor doesn't know how to interpret the
      test properly. Get one anyway, read the 'counting rules' file, and
      interpret it yourself.

      > Two Great Plains Amino Acid tests, one from three months ago and one
      > from three weeks ago have shown high DHPPA (was 1074, now 726), high
      > citric (was 1624, now 1429), high aconitic (was 21, rose to 43),
      high
      > uracil (was 20.64, rose to 35.84), high arabinose (was 125, now 97),
      > high 3-oxyglutaric (was 1.40, now .55), high citramalic (was 2.24,
      > rose to 2.52), high 4-hydroxyphenylacetic (was 41, rose to 124),
      high
      > succinic (was 20, rose to 41), high hippuric (was 4308, now 1852),
      > high glyceric (was 7.91, rose to 12.41).

      I have not found this test to be useful in deciding what is wrong, or
      what to do about it.

      If accurate, these results do suggest he is a "low sulfur" kid and
      could also use some iron. It is also consistent with him having poor
      blood sugar regulation, which may sometimes improve if given chromium
      and vanadium and bilberry extract.

      > Comprehensive Stool Analysis from Great Smokies three months ago
      > showed bacterial dysbiosis of 10 (0 being optimal) and no growth of
      > Lacto. s. or Bifidobacterium. A more recent stool analysis showed
      > still no growth of Lacto. s. +1 of Bifido. and +3 of Citrobacter
      > fruendii. No yeast has been found.
      >
      > My son has been on Kirkman's Everyday Vit, Colostrum Gold, Pro-
      > Culture Gold,

      Use about 10 times the reccomended dose of the probiotics and they
      actually work for mercury toxic people.

      > Vit. C

      4 times a day. B complex 4 times a day as well.

      >and SCFOS for three months. He has just started
      > on Uva Ursi to combat the Citrobacter.
      >
      > He has been casein free for almost two years, and gluten-free for
      > four months. The Urinary Peptide test (Great Plains) showed
      extremely
      > high levels of both gladiomorphin and casomorphin (despite being
      > casein-free for over a year, which I found interesting...). He is
      > also soy, egg, yeast, peanut, nut, almond, sugar (except that found
      > naturally occuring in foods), corn, preservative and food coloring
      > free. We also avoid most foods on the Feingold list.
      >
      > My question about glutathione (finally!) is this: Two months ago, my
      > son was put on transdermal glutathione to be followed in two days by
      > Lipoic Acid. My understanding was that this was to assist in
      problems
      > in his Kreb's Cycle which were indicated by results of the first OAT
      > test. He became extremely hyperactive after the third day of
      > glutathione and first of lipoic acid. We discontinued and tried
      again
      > a week later with half the dosage. This time after only one day, he
      > became again extremely hyperactive.

      Well, maybe he isn't low sulfur after all. Almost everyone who takes
      that test gets a reccomendation for glutathione, but it is bad for
      half of them. Lipoic acid naturally increases sulfur/glutathione
      levels, too. You might try him on a sulfur restricted diet for a week
      and then try ALA again (while still restricting sulfur intake).

      > I read how important glutathione is in kids with PST and also to
      help
      > with chelation.

      This is inaccurate information.

      > I read that glutathion is also supposed to HELP
      > hyperactive kids.

      Only if they are low in it and sulfur to start with. If they are high
      it makes them worse. The test to figure it out is the plasma cysteine
      test at Great Smokies (which also does an organic acid test that I
      consider interpretable).

      >(My son becomes hyper with only very slight
      > provocations, it seems). Any ideas why glutathione would cause such
      > tremendous poor response?

      He already has enough of it.

      >Was mercury getting shaken around?

      Yes.

      > Also, I'd read that Ambrotose is useful as a chelator.

      I had to delete several lines of profanity here. I suggest you delete
      further posts from those who make that claim.

      > Ambrotose also
      > caused him to become hyper. At first I thought this may because my
      > son is sugar-free and Ambrotose has sugar something or other in it,
      > but wonder if there's a link with the chelation factor now.
      >
      > Using DMSA really scares me, but more about that later I guess..
      >
      > Thanks so much for any help, and I look forward to learning from

      Check the FAQ file if you haven't had
    • The Kramer Family
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 7, 2001
        Debbie,

        | My 4 year-old son is not autistic but has hyperactivity, aggression
        | and gut dysbiosis problems. He also never slept more than 2 straight
        | hours until two months ago and now finally sleeps 8-9 straight hours.
        | He alternates between constipation and very loose stool. He is
        | extremely sensitive to heat, light and has some other sensory issues
        | (he hates haircuts, cats touching him or his toys, suntan lotion,
        | loud noises, can't remain in a theatre or show for more than 30
        | minutes or so because, I suspect, he is overstimulated).

        There is something in the movie theatres that makes my daughter hyper, or at
        least used to. Her OT's daughter's asthma symptoms would get worse in the movie
        theatre too. I'm assuming it's a chemical applied to the floor or seats.

        | He became extremely hyperactive after the third day of
        | glutathione and first of lipoic acid. We discontinued and tried again
        | a week later with half the dosage. This time after only one day, he
        | became again extremely hyperactive.
        | I read how important glutathione is in kids with PST...

        Does your glutathione have glutamine in it? Kirkman's doesn't. My daughter
        can't handle the glutamine.

        Are you using Epsom Salts? This helped my daughter, and strictly avoiding the
        phenols also helped with her hyperactivity.

        Good luck, Mary K.
      • Barb Romkema
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 8, 2001
          What about the popcorn smell? I know a woman who couldn't go to the mall
          because the popcorn smell made her so disoriented she couldn't find her way
          home! She was my neighbor.
          Barb