Immune Disorders and Autism - NYT

  • Teresa Binstock
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 25, 2012
      http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/26/opinion/sunday/immune-disorders-and-autism.html

      An Immune Disorder at the Root of Autism

      By MOISES VELASQUEZ-MANOFF

      IN recent years, scientists have made extraordinary advances in
      understanding the causes of autism, now estimated to afflict 1 in 88
      children. But remarkably little of this understanding has percolated
      into popular awareness, which often remains fixated on vaccines.

      So here's the short of it: At least a subset of autism --- perhaps
      one-third, and very likely more --- looks like a type of inflammatory
      disease. And it begins in the womb.

      It starts with what scientists call immune dysregulation. Ideally, your
      immune system should operate like an enlightened action hero, meting out
      inflammation precisely, accurately and with deadly force when necessary,
      but then quickly returning to a Zen-like calm. Doing so requires an
      optimal balance of pro- and anti-inflammatory muscle.

      In autistic individuals, the immune system fails at this balancing act.
      Inflammatory signals dominate. Anti-inflammatory ones are inadequate. A
      state of chronic activation prevails. And the more skewed toward
      inflammation, the more acute the autistic symptoms.

      Nowhere are the consequences of this dysregulation more evident than in
      the autistic brain. Spidery cells that help maintain neurons --- called
      astroglia and microglia --- are enlarged from chronic activation.
      Pro-inflammatory signaling molecules abound. Genes involved in
      inflammation are switched on.

      These findings are important for many reasons, but perhaps the most
      noteworthy is that they provide evidence of an abnormal, continuing
      biological process. That means that there is finally a therapeutic
      target for a disorder defined by behavioral criteria like social
      impairments, difficulty communicating and repetitive behaviors.

      But how to address it, and where to begin?....

    • Haven DeLay
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 25, 2012
        My son had hyperbilirubinemia after birth, but after that, he was
        healthy to fifteen-months UNTIL he received four shots, three of which
        contained thimerosal. Immediately following the shots, he lost all
        speech and everything else went down hill, including his health. All
        these studies just want to point away from the real culprit. Hogwash.
        Not buying it.

        Haven
      • barb Rom
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 26, 2012
          Gosh, do you think flu shots given to pregnant women might cause such
          immune dysregulation?

          On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 5:45 PM, Teresa Binstock <binstock@...>wrote:

          > http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/26/opinion/sunday/immune-disorders-and-autism.html
          >

          > An Immune Disorder at the Root of Autism
          >
          > By MOISES VELASQUEZ-MANOFF
          >
          > IN recent years, scientists have made extraordinary advances in
          > understanding the causes of autism, now estimated to afflict 1 in 88
          > children. But remarkably little of this understanding has percolated
          > into popular awareness, which often remains fixated on vaccines.
          >
          > So here's the short of it: At least a subset of autism --- perhaps
          > one-third, and very likely more --- looks like a type of inflammatory
          > disease. And it begins in the womb.
          >
          > It starts with what scientists call immune dysregulation. Ideally, your
          > immune system should operate like an enlightened action hero, meting out
          > inflammation precisely, accurately and with deadly force when necessary,
          > but then quickly returning to a Zen-like calm. Doing so requires an
          > optimal balance of pro- and anti-inflammatory muscle.
          >
          > In autistic individuals, the immune system fails at this balancing act.
          > Inflammatory signals dominate. Anti-inflammatory ones are inadequate. A
          > state of chronic activation prevails. And the more skewed toward
          > inflammation, the more acute the autistic symptoms.
          >
          > Nowhere are the consequences of this dysregulation more evident than in
          > the autistic brain. Spidery cells that help maintain neurons --- called
          > astroglia and microglia --- are enlarged from chronic activation.
          > Pro-inflammatory signaling molecules abound. Genes involved in
          > inflammation are switched on.
          >
          > These findings are important for many reasons, but perhaps the most
          > noteworthy is that they provide evidence of an abnormal, continuing
          > biological process. That means that there is finally a therapeutic
          > target for a disorder defined by behavioral criteria like social
          > impairments, difficulty communicating and repetitive behaviors.
          >
          > But how to address it, and where to begin?....

          > Answers to common questions:

          > Groups Links

        • Haven DeLay
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 26, 2012
            Well, duh, of course they do! But we wouldn't want to indict vaccines --
            the new god of the age for everyone to worship to protect them.