How much magnesium citrate for constipation

  • lillydemarest
    Message 1 of 5 , May 25, 2012
      How much magnesium should I start my 13 year old child at for severe constipation?
    • Anita
      Message 2 of 5 , May 25, 2012
        For my son, it would have taken a lot. More than I was happy to give. Oxypowder, a different from of magnesium, worked much better for us. If it's the weekend and you don't mind some diarrhea instead of the severe constipation (that was always my choice) then I would go higher rather than lower. If he's a big kid who is severely constipated, this may take a few grams spread out over an evening.

        Anita

        --- In Autism-Mercury@yahoogroups.com, "lillydemarest" <lillydemarest@...> wrote:

        > How much magnesium should I start my 13 year old child at for severe constipation?

      • sandra vallo
        Message 3 of 5 , May 25, 2012
          Start with about 400 mg and increase to about 800, maybe more if he
          needs it. Magnesium is needed for lots of bodily functions so don't
          fear that you are giving too much unless it causes diarrhea, then just
          back down some. Also mag citrate or mag glycine is good. You don't
          want oxide because you want the mag to stay in the body and do all the
          other good things it does.
          Sandra

          --- In Autism-Mercury@yahoogroups.com, "lillydemarest" <lillydemarest@...> wrote:

          > How much magnesium should I start my 13 year old child at for severe constipation?

        • norbro2
          Message 4 of 5 , May 26, 2012
            My grandson had severe constipation and we used magnesium citrate. I then found that if I mixed prune juice with organic sparkling cider he would drink the prune juice. It worked by far the best of anything we tried.

            Nora
            --- In Autism-Mercury@yahoogroups.com, "Anita" <mysuperteach@...> wrote:

            > For my son, it would have taken a lot. More than I was happy to give. Oxypowder, a different from of magnesium, worked much better for us. If it's the weekend and you don't mind some diarrhea instead of the severe constipation (that was always my choice) then I would go higher rather than lower. If he's a big kid who is severely constipated, this may take a few grams spread out over an evening.
            >
            > Anita
            >
            > --- In Autism-Mercury@yahoogroups.com, "lillydemarest" <lillydemarest@> wrote:
            > >
            > > How much magnesium should I start my 13 year old child at for severe constipation?

          • Rebecca Elizabeth
            Message 5 of 5 , May 27, 2012
              I had read several times, in several different books, that prune juice is the #1 treatment for constipation.

              Did the trick here, 1/4 cup prune juice mixed with 1/2 cup grape juice. We had intermittent constipation issues, you would probably need more prune juice for kids with a moderate to severe problem.

              Rebecca
              http://www.SavingSavannah.org