Porphyrins results

  • Shannon West
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6 11:02 PM
      Hi. I'm confused by my son's porphyrin profile. I was hoping someone here might be able to help.

      The Uroporphyrin 1 & 3 were elevated: 22.5
      The pentacarboxyporphyrin was slightly elevated: 2.5
      But the Coproporphyrins were both in normal range. 4th quintile, but still well within normal range. (35 for Cp1 and 154 for Cp3).

      The result comments read:
      A moderate elevation of Uroporphyrin I & III is consistent with stimulation of the porphyrin pathway. Such stimulation can be due to many pharmaceuticals and environmental chemicals, including ethanol.
      Elevation of 1 of the compounds Pentacarboxyporphyrin, Precoproporphyrin and Coproporphyrin III is associated with the toxic effects of mercury.The confirmatory elevation of the Precoproporphyrin/Uroporphyrin I & III ratio is not found. This may be due to independent factors raising Uroporphyrin I & III levels.
      Pentacarboxyporphyrin is high and other results are high normal. Such patterns are frequently found in patients with borderline enzyme impairments due to toxic effects.

      So? Do I try chelating? Or try detoxing the environmental toxins? I'm so confused.

      Shannon West, shanwest@...
      06/04/2012