Re: interpretation of cysteine levels, and other info

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 5, 2001
      --- In Autism-Mercury@y..., jw4994@e... wrote:
      > Andy, since you said I needed a cysteine level, I got the Great
      > Smokies comp. detox. profile (and since my daughter is <30 lbs, she
      > could not do the tylenol, caffeine, aspirin challenge) so it's an
      > incomplete report. Now, what do I do with this data:
      >
      > plasma cysteine: 2.38 (low, off the chart, ref. 3.10-3.90)
      > plasma sulfate: 5.19 (the only one in the green/normal range, ref.
      4.80-5.30)
      > red. glutathione: 29 (low, red range, ref. >32)
      > glutathione peroxidase: 15.5 (low, red range, ref. 20.3-38.1)
      > superox. dismutase: 2,201 (hi, red range, ref 1,610-2,162)
      >
      > I assumed that with the low cysteine I wanted to supplement with NAC
      > and ordered some. Is there anything else I should do, supplement
      > wise?

      Well, 'supplements,' medications and foods are all chemicals. Foods
      are an excellent source of sulfur. If you are not GFCF, feed her as
      much dairy as she will eat. Whey protein is very good, and is in lots
      of bakery products and many "power bars." Among the "nutrition bars,"
      look for sodium caseinate - a milk product - and whey protein. You
      can also mix whey protein drink powder into milk.

      Eggs are very sulfury. If you are GFCF, eat lots of them. Also (as
      recently posted) cabbage broccoli cauliflower turnips onions garlic
      and their relatives. Beans are somewhat sulfury, how much depending
      on type.

      More sulfur will raise cysteine and glutathione.

      Supplementing with selenomethionine will increase glutathione
      peroxidase.

      The relatively normal sulfate suggewsts she isn't using it - that is,
      has a sulfation problem - and may benefit from the kinds of dietary
      restrictions in the Feingold diet.

      And