Re: [Autism-Mercury] flying with autistic child

  • Msdai54513@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2001

    • Annemfnba@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2001
        Hi Beth, I live MA. E-mail me anytime. Anne

        Annemfnba@...

      • Paul O'Neill
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 2, 2001
          Beth

          We recently flew to the US with our 3.5 year old from Switzerland and
          he was great in both directions. We took late afternoon flights, fed
          him gfcf food we brought with us and then gave him some melatonin and
          he slept the rest of the journey. On the outbound flight another
          passenger actually commented what a pleasure Finn was to travel with.
          rgds
          paul

          --- In Autism-Mercury@y..., Beth and Nikos <beth_nikos@i...> wrote:
          > I realize this might not be the proper place for this question, but
          here goes...

          > Has anyone had any experience flying on long flights (more than 4
          Hours) with a child with autism.... We will be flying from Crete to
          Boston in August. A doctor friend of mine once recommended giving him
          an antihistamine to help keep him calm.... he's very hyperactive. I
          will be flying alone with him along with my older boy (6 years 0ld).

          > Also is there anyone out there from Massachusetts? I'd love to
          write to you personally....I have so many questions as to how the
          school systems work to provide services....along with any DAN! doctors
          that could be recommended.

          > After trying to help our son for 2 years here, we have decided to
          return to the states.

          > Any info would be appreciated..
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Beth Brokalakis

        • Beth and Nikos
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 15, 2001
            Eileen... thanks for writing back.. I'm just catching up on my mail
            now...you've given me some great information...I've been trying to keep my
            son gfcf, but sometimes it's difficult especially with his brother who is a
            junk food junkie....lot of food hiding goes on in my house...anyways...

            I will be breaking up our flight .... from Crete to London and then London
            to Boston.... the flight from Crete to London is cheap enough, but the
            prices I'm being quoted for the London - Boston trip are very high....

            Are you from England... if you know of a good travel agent I can call
            directly this may help me...I've been told there are usually some really
            cheap deals from England to the states... let me know if you can recommend
            someone to call...

            thanks again and I'll let you know how it goes

            Beth/Crete

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 15, 2001
              Stephanie... thanks for your reply... is Benadryl an antihistamine...
              perscription drug?? I bought some Melatonin for Kirkman's and he slept fine
              with it in the night time with no serious side effects... just a bit
              sleeping after he woke up....

              Thanks again...Beth
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 15, 2001
                Paul... thanks for the information... I just bought some Melatonin from
                Kirkmans and my son had no serious side effects so I'll be taking this along
                and I'll be breaking the trip up into 2 flights... one 4 hour flight and
                one 6 hour flight...it maybe more expensive,but at least we'll get there in
                one piece..

                Regards...Beth

              • snickol@Juno.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 16, 2001
                  Beth,
                  Benadryl can be purchased over the counter at most drug stores.