Re:What "recovered" from autism really means? To Andy

  • andrewhallcutler
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 13, 2009
      --- In Autism-Mercury@yahoogroups.com, RoseGvr@... wrote:

      > Andy,
      >
      > You have seen many examples by now of people who have used your protocol
      > (on themselves and their children).
      >
      > In your opinion, approximately how many are 'recovered' at 100%?

      I don't know. I don't know most of them in person or as friends, so they stop talking to me and get on with life when things are going pretty well.

      I'd guess that half or 2/3 of autistic children CAN recover 100% if chelated long enough, and that of those whose parents figure this out and do it right probably half get there and half have parents who don't stick to it. But these are guesses.

      > How many
      > are substantially better (say 75% recovered or better) after chelating?

      I do a lot better at that but can't give absolute numbers.

      Of the 3/4 who respond to chelation, I'd stay 2/3 (or half the autistic kids you start with) get here within 2-3 years. Of the 1/4 that don't respond to chelation at all, some do get better, some don't, it's a lot more up in the air. Of the ones who respond some to chelation they almost all get great improvements but I don't know that I'd say they will necessarily improve 75%. I think any reasonable interpretation of '75% improvement' is that they don't have anything much worse than ADHD and some allergies left.

      > And, what percentage show moderate improvement say 50% or so?

      Almost all the ones who respond to chelation at all.

      > What
      > percentage do not get better at all with chelating?

      About 25% do not respond to chelating at all.

      > For those not at the 100% mark, is it possible to see further gains (say
      > through addressing viruses or the obsequious Lyme?)

      These ones mostly just need to chelate more. This is where I lose track of them, either their parents decide they're bored with chelation and are ecstatic at the progress, or they stick with it but it is quie uneventful and they're mostly doing other things than talking on listservers or communicating with me.

      I've never actually run across one I think was well chelated who had to treat Lyme disease, but I don't conclude that NOBODY has to, just that it is a lot less common than the "lyme doctor" world thinks it is.

      Some DO seem to need to deal with viral issues. A few (very few, but some) respond magically to craniosacral therapy. Again, a few seemed to NEED HBOT, most don't seem to after a lot of progress. Probably the most common one is they need a course of thyroid hormone for at least a couple of years for 'catch up' neurological development. I don't think most need this, but it isn't rare.

      I'm sure I could come up with a bunch more odds and ends if I racked my brain.

      Also this is not a situation where it is easy to figure out what they DO need, sometimes I suggest things that turn out to be a bad idea (which makes me feel pretty terrible) so I'm not real excited about speculating a bunch since my experience is people tend to abandon chelation far too soon, try other stuff and hurt their kids a lot, then eventually chelate them but sometimes have a lot of residual issues from other inappropriate therapies.

      > Just curious.
      >
      > Rosegvr/Cindy

      Andy

    • mkarty2007
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 14, 2009

        What happened to friends or people you knew in person?
      • RoseGvr@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 14, 2009
          <<I've never actually run across one I think was well chelated who had to
          treat Lyme disease, but I don't conclude that NOBODY has to, just that it
          is a lot less common than the "lyme doctor" world thinks it is.>>

          Pretty amazing. I wonder approximately how many cases of well chelated
          people there are... hundreds, thousands? Sounds like a large percentage may
          stop too soon.

          <<Probably the most common one is they need a course of thyroid hormone
          for at least a couple of years for 'catch up' neurological development. I
          don't think most need this, but it isn't rare.>>

          I'm on this now. It sounds like even if you are well chelated that you
          may need it for a couple years while things get back to normal (esp. if you
          needed it while chelating).

          <<since my experience is people tend to abandon chelation far too soon,
          try other stuff and hurt their kids a lot, then eventually chelate them but
          sometimes have a lot of residual issues from other inappropriate therapies.>>

          It bears repeating that we stop chelation too soon (for myself). It's a
          disrupting and demanding thing to supplement and chelate at high frequency
          levels for an extended period. Easy to get worn out and burnt out esp. when
          mercury has made us feel that way for so long anyway. Maybe one could
          chelate a year or two then take a break for 6 months to a year and then get back
          to it. "Recovery" doesn't really seem possible in a years time. It sounds
          more like several years to get it all out (for people who have such severe
          problems as autism).

          Thanks for giving us some ideas about this and the reminder that it's easy
          to stop too soon.

          Rosegvr/Cindy

          Steps!
          (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221323036x1201367247/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=Jul
          yExcfooterNO62)

        • davelin1976
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 15, 2009
            --- In Autism-Mercury@yahoogroups.com, "andrewhallcutler" <AndyCutler@...> wrote:
            > > In your opinion, approximately how many are 'recovered' at 100%?
            > I'd guess that half or 2/3 of autistic children CAN recover 100% if chelated long enough, and that of those whose parents figure this out and do it right probably half get there and half have parents who don't stick to it. But these are guesses.

            My son started chelating at 7. He had all of his immunizations plus 5 year old boosters. We have been chelating now for 6 years. The hair test this spring (200 rounds) was the first that did not show deranged mineral transport. We are at round 240 now and my son can eat everything on a rotation basis. He swims competitively, is learning to scuba dive, reads Scripture aloud in front of 250 people during Church services very well, is an all A student at the 8th grade level,is proficient at playing classical music on the piano after taking lessons for 2 years. He still has a few traits that are not normal in carrying on conversation socially. He is showing progress in this area with work. We plan to chelate for one more year and assess things then--that will be to round 300. We have been chelating at 1/4 mg. per pound 3 days and 3 nights every 3 hours. My son could never tolerate any higher dose than that. I am very grateful for Andy and his work. Our son was labeled by a psychologist at 6 years old as being 'severely autistic'. Now, he plans to go to college and major in music.

            Linda
          • Rebecca
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 15, 2009
              ===>WOW!!! What a testimony of dedication! Great work in the perseverance department, Mom! Thanks for sharing your update.

              Now everyone else quit whining and get back to work :-)

              Rebecca

              --- In Autism-Mercury@yahoogroups.com, "andrewhallcutler" <AndyCutler@...> wrote:
              > > In your opinion, approximately how many are 'recovered' at 100%?
              > I'd guess that half or 2/3 of autistic children CAN recover 100% if chelated long enough, and that of those whose parents figure this out and do it right probably half get there and half have parents who don't stick to it. But these are guesses.

              My son started chelating at 7. He had all of his immunizations plus 5 year old boosters. We have been chelating now for 6 years. The hair test this spring (200 rounds) was the first that did not show deranged mineral transport. We are at round 240 now and my son can eat everything on a rotation basis. He swims competitively, is learning to scuba dive, reads Scripture aloud in front of 250 people during Church services very well, is an all A student at the 8th grade level,is proficient at playing classical music on the piano after taking lessons for 2 years. He still has a few traits that are not normal in carrying on conversation socially. He is showing progress in this area with work. We plan to chelate for one more year and assess things then--that will be to round 300. We have been chelating at 1/4 mg. per pound 3 days and 3 nights every 3 hours. My son could never tolerate any higher dose than that. I am very grateful for Andy and his work. Our son was labeled by a psychologist at 6 years old as being 'severely autistic'. Now, he plans to go to college and major in music.

              Linda

            • Michelle
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 15, 2009
                Linda - that is incredible! You and your son truly are an inspiration!!

                Michelle

                http://www.recoveringnicholas.com

                http://www.facebook.com/recoveringnicholas

                <mailto:Autism-Mercury%40yahoogroups.com> , "andrewhallcutler"
                <AndyCutler@...> wrote:
                > > In your opinion, approximately how many are 'recovered' at 100%?
                > I'd guess that half or 2/3 of autistic children CAN recover 100% if
                chelated long enough, and that of those whose parents figure this out and do
                it right probably half get there and half have parents who don't stick to
                it. But these are guesses.

                My son started chelating at 7. He had all of his immunizations plus 5 year
                old boosters. We have been chelating now for 6 years. The hair test this
                spring (200 rounds) was the first that did not show deranged mineral
                transport. We are at round 240 now and my son can eat everything on a
                rotation basis. He swims competitively, is learning to scuba dive, reads
                Scripture aloud in front of 250 people during Church services very well, is
                an all A student at the 8th grade level,is proficient at playing classical
                music on the piano after taking lessons for 2 years. He still has a few
                traits that are not normal in carrying on conversation socially. He is
                showing progress in this area with work. We plan to chelate for one more
                year and assess things then--that will be to round 300. We have been
                chelating at 1/4 mg. per pound 3 days and 3 nights every 3 hours. My son
                could never tolerate any higher dose than that. I am very grateful for Andy
                and his work. Our son was labeled by a psychologist at 6 years old as being
                'severely autistic'. Now, he plans to go to college and major in music.

                Linda

              • iam2l84t
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 15, 2009
                  Thank you for posting your story, it's very inspiring and motivating. It's also nice to see that you still pop in on this list to encourage the rest of us.

                  I think congratulations are in order to you for your hard work, perseverance and dedication.

                  Monique

                  --- In Autism-Mercury@yahoogroups.com, "davelin1976" <davelin1976@...> wrote:

                  > My son started chelating at 7. He had all of his immunizations plus 5 year old boosters. We have been chelating now for 6 years. The hair test this spring (200 rounds) was the first that did not show deranged mineral transport. We are at round 240 now and my son can eat everything on a rotation basis. He swims competitively, is learning to scuba dive, reads Scripture aloud in front of 250 people during Church services very well, is an all A student at the 8th grade level,is proficient at playing classical music on the piano after taking lessons for 2 years. He still has a few traits that are not normal in carrying on conversation socially. He is showing progress in this area with work. We plan to chelate for one more year and assess things then--that will be to round 300. We have been chelating at 1/4 mg. per pound 3 days and 3 nights every 3 hours. My son could never tolerate any higher dose than that. I am very grateful for Andy and his work. Our son was labeled by a psychologist at 6 years old as being 'severely autistic'. Now, he plans to go to college and major in music.
                  >
                  > Linda

                • michellebondy
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 15, 2009
                    Yes! This is what we need to read!

                    Wow, you and your family are amazing. You never gave up and look what you have now! This is going into my bookmarks and I will read it when ever I get down...which seems to be weekly.

                    Thanks so much!

                    --- In Autism-Mercury@yahoogroups.com, "davelin1976" <davelin1976@...> wrote:

                    > --- In Autism-Mercury@yahoogroups.com, "andrewhallcutler" <AndyCutler@> wrote:
                    > > > In your opinion, approximately how many are 'recovered' at 100%?
                    > > I'd guess that half or 2/3 of autistic children CAN recover 100% if chelated long enough, and that of those whose parents figure this out and do it right probably half get there and half have parents who don't stick to it. But these are guesses.
                    >
                    > My son started chelating at 7. He had all of his immunizations plus 5 year old boosters. We have been chelating now for 6 years. The hair test this spring (200 rounds) was the first that did not show deranged mineral transport. We are at round 240 now and my son can eat everything on a rotation basis. He swims competitively, is learning to scuba dive, reads Scripture aloud in front of 250 people during Church services very well, is an all A student at the 8th grade level,is proficient at playing classical music on the piano after taking lessons for 2 years. He still has a few traits that are not normal in carrying on conversation socially. He is showing progress in this area with work. We plan to chelate for one more year and assess things then--that will be to round 300. We have been chelating at 1/4 mg. per pound 3 days and 3 nights every 3 hours. My son could never tolerate any higher dose than that. I am very grateful for Andy and his work. Our son was labeled by a psychologist at 6 years old as being 'severely autistic'. Now, he plans to go to college and major in music.
                    >
                    > Linda

                  • laura19982005
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 15, 2009
                      Thanks for posting Linda. My PDD-NOS son is six and we've only done a few rounds of DMSA. Did you use DMSA and ALA together?

                      this is great to read....

                      --- In Autism-Mercury@yahoogroups.com, "davelin1976" <davelin1976@...> wrote:

                      > --- In Autism-Mercury@yahoogroups.com, "andrewhallcutler" <AndyCutler@> wrote:
                      > > > In your opinion, approximately how many are 'recovered' at 100%?
                      > > I'd guess that half or 2/3 of autistic children CAN recover 100% if chelated long enough, and that of those whose parents figure this out and do it right probably half get there and half have parents who don't stick to it. But these are guesses.
                      >
                      > My son started chelating at 7. He had all of his immunizations plus 5 year old boosters. We have been chelating now for 6 years. The hair test this spring (200 rounds) was the first that did not show deranged mineral transport. We are at round 240 now and my son can eat everything on a rotation basis. He swims competitively, is learning to scuba dive, reads Scripture aloud in front of 250 people during Church services very well, is an all A student at the 8th grade level,is proficient at playing classical music on the piano after taking lessons for 2 years. He still has a few traits that are not normal in carrying on conversation socially. He is showing progress in this area with work. We plan to chelate for one more year and assess things then--that will be to round 300. We have been chelating at 1/4 mg. per pound 3 days and 3 nights every 3 hours. My son could never tolerate any higher dose than that. I am very grateful for Andy and his work. Our son was labeled by a psychologist at 6 years old as being 'severely autistic'. Now, he plans to go to college and major in music.
                      >
                      > Linda

                    • davelin1976
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 15, 2009