Re: Pedi appt monday.....

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 20, 2001
      --- In Autism-Mercury@y..., chinamom@p... wrote:
      > Pedi appt monday..... I would really like to get her working "with
      > us" Sooo some questions.... The lead one of course, and I
      > know DMSA comes in different forms .... Chemet, Succumar,
      > DMSA ect
      >
      > So what really is the difference?? Different fillers?? Which one is
      > covered by insurence??? Why is it not used by Dr Amy ect... or is
      > it??? I would LOVE to get at least a tiny portion of all this paid
      for!

      Succimer is the generic name for DMSA. DMSA is just the abbreviation
      of DiMercaptoSuccinic Acid. Chemet is "brand name" succimer, and is
      the only stuff made by a regular manufacturer. Most insurance plans
      cover it. The DMSA is adsorbed onto titanium dioxide beads. I do not
      think the ingredients pose any real hazard to people, but I am sure
      many "holistic" doctors would be glad to give me a chemistry lesson on
      why insoluble compounds which if solubilized are innnocuous shouldn't
      be administered.

      I have personally eaten LOTS of chemet and fed a bunch to my
      girlfriend's kid - and she takes it too.

      If YOU pay, compounded or OTC DMSA is cheaper than Chemet.

      If insurance pays, your copay is less than compounded or OTC DMSA.

      Some insurance companies will cover compounded DMSA, some won't.

      A few have been known to cover compounded DMPS. If you are interested
      you might want to check.

      Chemet can only be Rx'd by MD's, DO's, and perhaps in some states
      ARNP's - I really don't know how their Rx pads work.

      In at least Washington, pharmacists can Rx a 3 day supply of something
      (they are supposed to then get it approved by a doc) and 3 days of PDR
      style DMSA is a month's supply or more for a rational protocol.

      Any licensed health care practitioner of any sort can buy DMSA from
      Thorne Research, and the wholesale price is reasonable. If you have a
      buddy willing to do that for you it is a reasonable deal if you can't
      get insurance covered Chemet or compounded DMSA.

      If you have to just buy it yourself, Vitamin Research Products seems
      to have a reasonable price (if anyone knows of a less expensive
      source, please post it!). www.vrp.com.

      Andy

      > I have the Large and Small mercury papers, the old protocol and
      > Kirkmans cheleation pages printed out, anything else I should
      > take???

      I'm not sure what these say. Take lots of water soluble antioxidants
      4 times a day. E, carotenes, lycopene, flax seed oil once or twice a
      day.

    • Msdai54513@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 20, 2001
        In a message dated 4/20/01 5:41:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        chinamom@... writes:

        <<
        So what really is the difference?? Different fillers?? Which one is
        covered by insurence??? Why is it not used by Dr Amy ect.. >>
        when I get our chement, my insurance covers it, i just pay the co-pay.