Re: sulfur foods

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 17, 2001
      --- In Autism-Mercury@y..., peart@h... wrote:
      > Dear listmates,
      >
      > I've noticed that my son reacts badly to eggs, chlorella, garlic,
      and
      > a food supplement (phytaloe) that had brussel sprouts, cabbage,
      > cauliflower etc. I deduce that he has a problem metabolising sulfur
      > foods, and I understand that may be because he has a high
      > concentration of blood thiols. (I haven't run a plasma cysteine).
      > I've got some questions that follow from this, and would really
      > appreciate any answers, advice or comments from those who have faced
      > a similar problem or know what to do in this situation.
      >
      > First, I'm trying to identify other high sulfur culprits in his
      diet,
      > and weed them out. (When one says 'high-sulfur food', I take it
      this
      > means they are particularly rich in thiol groups).

      Correct. These are listed in the foods appendix of my book.

      >In particular,
      > I'm wondering if there's anything in his supplements that might have
      > lots of thiols, even if at first glance it does not appear so. For
      > example, some of his minerals have vegetable stearic acid - if that
      > is derived from a high-sulfur vegetable, will the supplement
      > be 'contaminated' with thiol groups?

      No.

      The bothersome supplements are NAC, cysteine, glutathione, MSM, DMSO,
      and anything containing the offending vegetables.

      > Second, once one knows that high sulfur foods are bad, is there
      > anything else one can do other than keep high-sulfur foods out of
      the
      > diet?

      Not that I know of, which is a drag.

      > Why does he react so badly to them?

      They mobilize mercury and thus make the amount in him more toxic than
      it would be if it were sitting still.

      >Would providing sulfate
      > help?

      Most high sulfur people are also low sulfate. Provide both sulfate
      and molybdenum.

      > Third, is there any relation between a low-sulfur diet (low thiols)
      > and the Feingold diet (low salicylates)?

      Not that I know of.

      > If a child reacts to high-
      > sulfur foods, will he necessarily need to follow a Feingold diet?

      No.

      > Thanks in advance for any answers, comments or suggestions.
    • lunagirl32002
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 4, 2002
        i don't really understand the whole sulfur foods connection with
        chelation/mercury. i sometimes have problems eating onions
        and garlic, but am perfectly fine with broccoli. can someone tell
        me the rule with thiols/sulfur foods while chelating, and the
        reasoning behind it. should i avoid sulfur foods while chelating
        with dmps or should i be better able to handle them as i dump
        mercury?? thanks, julie
      • moriamerri
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 21, 2002
          --- In Autism-Mercury@y..., "lunagirl32002" <j_genser@h...> wrote:
          > i don't really understand the whole sulfur foods connection with
          > chelation/mercury.

          well, it is "funny". In a way there is no connection, and
          then in a way there are MANY connections. I don't pretend
          to understand it all LOL.

          One connection is that mercury toxic people OFTEN have
          messed up sulfur metabolism---- things are out of whack.
          Then again, people who are mercury toxic have a LOT of
          things that are out of whack. Anyway, some toxic people
          are "high sulfur" people (and will benefit from reduced
          intake of sulfury foods and supplements) and other people
          are "low sulfur" (and will benefit from MORE sulfury
          foods and supps.) I am just repeating here what Andy
          says. You can read more about it here:
          Look for the section on sulfur and thiols.

          The other connection is that sulfury stuff can "stir up"
          mercury.

          There is also a great write up about the connections between
          sulfur and metals and enzymes (by Karen DeFelice) here:
          (I don't have the file name, but look for something about
          metals....) Very helpful.

          Also, post number 57707 on this list is pretty amazing
          summary of how to supplement/restrict based on various
          lab test findings for plasma cysteine and plasma sulfate.
          best wishes,
        • kristinabradsmom
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 18, 2009
            This post is years old but I wanted to reply in hopes someone may benefit.

            My son had violent reactions to small amounts of sulphur foods in my milk from birth. At about 4 months we found the homeopathinc remedy sulphur would stop his reaction in under a minute.

            He is now almost 4 and we still don't go anywhere without it (Walking past an egg place can trigger a reaction).

            Hopefully when I learn a little more about all of this and chelate it will no longer be such an issue!

            Kristina