Re: ALA on our own

  • Laurie Hunter
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1 12:24 AM
      Truly,

      Yes and no.... Yes, we really don't have the extra $$$ AND we live about 200
      miles from Portland Ore where the closest dr would be who would know
      anything! I would love to be able to go see Dr Amy! BUT, I think it is about
      a 6mos wait, and then it sounds like she orders your tests, reviews
      everything gets you started and sends you home to follow up with your local
      dr.... Our Ped is just TO TO BUSY! I am better off without her. I once asked
      her for a copy of a journal on adoption med and she just gave it to me and
      told me to tell her what she needs to know..... why should I pay HER for me
      to teach her???

      I do think though if I can do my research and get Grace well I can "train"
      at least 3 drs on chleation!!!

      From what I am learning here I can order the tests myself, its just a matter
      of $$$ and trial and error, and going s l o w! Though I think I am going to
      order some DMSA and see what happens.

      I know what you mean about the bad medical stuff also! I have been bugging
      the ped, my sis the Dr, and my sis the midwife, that I thought there was
      something wrong with Grace, since she kept pulling at her panties for the
      last 3 mos! First everyone kept saying its just a NEW autistic "stim" (I
      HATE when they blame everything on Autism!!!!!) They would have me bring in
      multiple urine samples, all clear. finaly got an appt 4 weeks later and it
      turns out she has a birth defect near her urethra that is irratating.....
      something the Ped has never seen before, so now we are waiting for an appt
      with a urologist.

      UGH!!!!! I must admitt I thought I had done something to her, it started
      right after the first round of ALA and I wondered if I burned her or
      something when the metals came out..... It would be soooo nice to have
      someone else to blame!

      Good Luck!

      laurie

    • marib005@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1 8:05 AM
        Laurie, I was doing LA alone also for a while(4 cycles). I found a
        doctor that will work with me via the phone and fax. I wanted soo
        bad to get some DMSA. I'm not even following the doctors protocol.
        The good thing is,I am getting the lead out now and I do think there
        are less side affects, not that they were that bad on ala alone. How
        are you going to get DMSA without a doctors help? This doctor cost
        $135 for a 1/2 hour phone call. I am afraid to ask a question.
        Thanks for any information. Marianne

      • cukierski@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1 12:17 PM
          -You can buy DMSA without a prescription at www.vrp.com

          -- In Autism-Mercury@y..., marib005@h... wrote:
> [...]
          > > right after the first round of ALA and I wondered if I burned her or
          > > something when the metals came out..... It would be soooo nice to
          > have
          > > someone else to blame!
          > >
          > > Good Luck!
          > >
          > > laurie
          > >

          > > > Date: 1 Apr 2001 03:14:54 -0000
          > > > To: Autism-Mercury@y...
          > > > Subject: [Autism-Mercury] Digest Number 1036
          > > >
          > > > Thanks Laurie,
          > > > I just am overwhelmed since joining this list. I don't know
          > where to
          > > > start with my son. Are you doing this yourself to save expense?
          > > > certainly agree with Andy that sometimes us ordinary non-doc
          > types can know
          > > > just as much as the MDs, at least on some things. Just having an
          > autistic
          > > > son taught me that ....along with a previous bad medical
        • Moria Merriweather
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 1 12:41 PM
            Marianne--- You can buy DMSA without a prescription from
            www.vrp.com. I have called them and verified this. You
            just order it!

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 3 11:42 PM
              --- In Autism-Mercury@y..., marib005@h... wrote:
              > How
              > are you going to get DMSA without a doctors help?

              via mail order from www.vrp.com

              Andy

              .

              .