Re: [Autism-Mercury] What kind of pediatrician is Dr. Anshu Batra?

  • Rebecca Cochran
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 6 8:03 AM
      I can answer this. I'm not a med dr but a psychologist phd dr who has assessed children for developmental delays and Autism for years before my granddaughter was born and I missed it! This is even worse than a pediatrician who unlike me doesn't have three degrees in human development.

      The reason lies in what you are taught in school and I was taught that children were either autistic from birth or there was a pretty big regression. Nothing I ever read said there could just be a stall.

      Also when children are small there is so much variation in what they can do and when they do it. Without knowing the potential of my granddaughter I assumed she was of average intellect as she reached her developmental milestones at just about the middle range.

      It actually wasn't until she read an entire billboard about two weeks before her third birthday that I realized something was dreadfully wrong as I figured that a child who could teach herself to read should be saying more than three word sentences and sometimes not engaging in reciprocal conversation.

      So, in short they can teach you anything they want...but there is nothing like actually living with Autism and the education and the experience are two way different phenomenon. I'm not making excuses for the dr but she most likely was applying the knowledge she learned in school.

      Rebecca
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 6 1:47 PM
        A boob! That's what kind....sad thing is she's got two autistic kids.

        --- In Autism-Mercury@yahoogroups.com, "Rebecca Cochran"
        <Ladyshrink111@...> wrote:

        > I can answer this. I'm not a med dr but a psychologist phd dr who
        has assessed children for developmental delays and Autism for years
        before my granddaughter was born and I missed it! This is even worse
        than a pediatrician who unlike me doesn't have three degrees in
        human development.

        > The reason lies in what you are taught in school and I was taught
        that children were either autistic from birth or there was a pretty
        big regression. Nothing I ever read said there could just be a stall.

        > Also when children are small there is so much variation in what
        they can do and when they do it. Without knowing the potential of my
        granddaughter I assumed she was of average intellect as she reached
        her developmental milestones at just about the middle range.

        > It actually wasn't until she read an entire billboard about two
        weeks before her third birthday that I realized something was
        dreadfully wrong as I figured that a child who could teach herself
        to read should be saying more than three word sentences and
        sometimes not engaging in reciprocal conversation.

        > So, in short they can teach you anything they want...but there is
        nothing like actually living with Autism and the education and the
        experience are two way different phenomenon. I'm not making excuses
        for the dr but she most likely was applying the knowledge she
        learned in school.

        > Rebecca
        Batra?

        > Last night I watched the Oprah Autism special, I taped it as I
        have
        > been spending my days studying for my medical recertification
        borad
        > exam. As a Physician Assistant I must recertify every 6 years.
        That
        > means a 375 question, 6 hour exam every 6 years on general
        medical
        > topics. Basically a little bit of everything, peds, OB/GYN,
        Ortho,
        > Neuro, Cadio, etc........We are the only medical professionals
        > required to recertify in this manner. My exam is on Monday,
        April
        > 9th. If I fail the exam I could loose my job. Physicians, Nurses
        > and Nurse Practitioners do not have to be board certified to
        practice
        > medicine let alone recertify every 6 years. With that said, when
        > watching the show I was tired, but one fact did not excape me.
        Dr.
        > Batra mentioned that her second son was the poster child for
        early
        > intervention, not her first son, obviously he was not caught
        very
        > early. Which poses the question, as a pediatrician why didn't
        she
        > recognize the early symptoms in her own son? Or where they not
        > present in your child until an intervening factor? (Vaccines?!)
        Was
        > he progressing normally and meeting developmental milestones? If
        so,
        > what happened to him? (Vaccines?!) If not, why didn't she notice
        her
        > own child had developmental delays / autism. How can she be the
        > Pediatrician/Medical Autism Spokesperson on the View and Oprah
        and
        > have missed the disgnosis on her own child. I heard those
        parents on
        > the show complain that their pediatricians shrugged them off
        when
        > they expressed concerns, who shrugged her off? As I mentioned
        I'm
        > just a lowly Physician Assistant, but I diagnosed my son at 11
        > months. I knew something was wrong at 7 months. Unlike most he
        only
        > had normal development until 6 months old and was lost in one
        day
        > after the DTP vaccine. I know that Luke was also born toxic
        > secondary to my work at Ground Zero, but why was I able to
        diagnose
        > my child and she wasn't? Just curious. Thank you Kathy, you were
        > Grace Under Fire! Kim

      • Rebecca Cochran
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 6 2:49 PM
          Thanks, Jan. I appreciate how supportive you are??

          Rebecca

          <Ladyshrink111@...> wrote:

          > I can answer this. I'm not a med dr but a psychologist phd dr who
          has assessed children for developmental delays and Autism for years
          before my granddaughter was born and I missed it! This is even worse
          than a pediatrician who unlike me doesn't have three degrees in
          human development.

          > The reason lies in what you are taught in school and I was taught
          that children were either autistic from birth or there was a pretty
          big regression. Nothing I ever read said there could just be a stall.

          > Also when children are small there is so much variation in what
          they can do and when they do it. Without knowing the potential of my
          granddaughter I assumed she was of average intellect as she reached
          her developmental milestones at just about the middle range.

          > It actually wasn't until she read an entire billboard about two
          weeks before her third birthday that I realized something was
          dreadfully wrong as I figured that a child who could teach herself
          to read should be saying more than three word sentences and
          sometimes not engaging in reciprocal conversation.

          > So, in short they can teach you anything they want...but there is
          nothing like actually living with Autism and the education and the
          experience are two way different phenomenon. I'm not making excuses
          for the dr but she most likely was applying the knowledge she
          learned in school.

          > Rebecca

        • jenniyoungkurtz
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 6 4:30 PM
            I have quite a few md friends who missed the dx
            with their own kids. One of our OTs has an autistic son that wasn't
            dxed til he was 5! She just couldn't "see" it even though she works
            with autistic kids all day long!

            That is why mds, etc shouldn't treat family...sometimes you just
            can't see what you do not wish to see.

            Most of us were "shocked" when we got the official dx--even though
            we "knew" something was different. I remember being so happy and
            thrilled that Reed got a PDD-NOS dx! Ah, how little I understood
            back then! All I could do was celebrate that he wasn't that
            terrifying "A" word! Semanitics are everything! Silly mommy,
            vaccines aren't for kids!

            The whole vax. issue is so ethically difficult for
            the docs who have given them in good faith and believed what they
            have been taught. Few can admit the connection and "live"
            with themselves. My mom is a nurse and brilliant. When I first went
            to her and told her I thought it was the vax--she laughed and said
            that there was "NO WAY there was mercury in vaccines! The government
            couldn't get by with that!" She is now my biggest supporter and a
            huge advocate--but it has been difficult for her to come to grips
            with the idea that she herself vaccinated (doctor's orders) thousands
            of geriatrics with flu shots and never knew that thimerisol was
            mercury! It is a huge dilemna in the truest sense of the word.

            Peace, Jenn

            What is terrifying is when confronted with the "evidence of harm"
            they choose to ignore it. That will be harder to live with in the
            end I think?

            <Ladyshrink111@...> wrote:

            > I can answer this. I'm not a med dr but a psychologist phd dr who
            has assessed children for developmental delays and Autism for years
            before my granddaughter was born and I missed it! This is even worse
            than a pediatrician who unlike me doesn't have three degrees in human
            development.

            > The reason lies in what you are taught in school and I was taught
            that children were either autistic from birth or there was a pretty
            big regression. Nothing I ever read said there could just be a stall.

            > Also when children are small there is so much variation in what
            they can do and when they do it. Without knowing the potential of my
            granddaughter I assumed she was of average intellect as she reached
            her developmental milestones at just about the middle range.

            > It actually wasn't until she read an entire billboard about two
            weeks before her third birthday that I realized something was
            dreadfully wrong as I figured that a child who could teach herself to
            read should be saying more than three word sentences and sometimes
            not engaging in reciprocal conversation.

            > So, in short they can teach you anything they want...but there is
            nothing like actually living with Autism and the education and the
            experience are two way different phenomenon. I'm not making excuses
            for the dr but she most likely was applying the knowledge she learned
            in school.

            > Rebecca

          • Cathy Markman
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 6 5:31 PM
              She's the kind who can be paid off by a pharma company to keep up the front and keep her mouth shut. That's THE worst kind of doctor/human being there is.
              Shame on her!

              <Ladyshrink111@...> wrote:

              > I can answer this. I'm not a med dr but a psychologist phd dr who
              has assessed children for developmental delays and Autism for years
              before my granddaughter was born and I missed it! This is even worse
              than a pediatrician who unlike me doesn't have three degrees in
              human development.

              > The reason lies in what you are taught in school and I was taught
              that children were either autistic from birth or there was a pretty
              big regression. Nothing I ever read said there could just be a stall.

              > Also when children are small there is so much variation in what
              they can do and when they do it. Without knowing the potential of my
              granddaughter I assumed she was of average intellect as she reached
              her developmental milestones at just about the middle range.

              > It actually wasn't until she read an entire billboard about two
              weeks before her third birthday that I realized something was
              dreadfully wrong as I figured that a child who could teach herself
              to read should be saying more than three word sentences and
              sometimes not engaging in reciprocal conversation.

              > So, in short they can teach you anything they want...but there is
              nothing like actually living with Autism and the education and the
              experience are two way different phenomenon. I'm not making excuses
              for the dr but she most likely was applying the knowledge she
              learned in school.

              > Rebecca

            • noaholiviaian
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 7 6:12 AM
                I'm sure I'm just repeating what others said.

                When I first started screaming that my son had Autism, my MD husband
                (anesthesia) flat out told me I was wrong. Then, he kind of became
                quiet on the subject. Really, until recently (last 2-3 years), most
                *professionals* still thought of Autism as the Autism portrayed in
                the old Psychology text books.

                I can see how my son fell through the cracks during the early years.
                Still, I wish doctors would have helped me with the medical issues
                that accompanied the delayed speech (diarrhea, low tone, waking up
                screaming every 2 hours, etc). Only when I went to a DAN! doctor did
                I hear about how to help my child.

                Doctors notoriously miss diagnoses in their children. My
                pediatrician father mis-diagnosed my cracked femur, my broken
                collarbone and my brother's major depression at age 13. He was a
                very good pediatrician, too... well known in our area for diagnosing
                a few cases that others had missed... go figure.

                That IS one of the big reasons why physicians should never treat
                themselves or family members! I later learned my father didn't voice
                some of his concerns; likely because it was his grandchild and I was
                his child and he didn't know how to handle it. He didn't live near
                us at the time, though.

                Although I thought Dr. Batra was a Boob (as someone said earlier), I
                certainly wouldn't fault her for not seeing her first child's
                Autism. We (I) hate it when people make assumptions about us (me),
                so let's not do that with her.

                Pam

                --- In Autism-Mercury@yahoogroups.com, "jenniyoungkurtz"